IGNORED

Powered Speakers Suck (because of class D)

GUTB

With the coming of the KEF LSX being pushed relentlessly by the mid-fi / tech / lifestyle media outlets we have to deal with this issue once again: powered speakers suck. They suck because of class D, because no one wants to add 50 lbs of quality amplification into a speaker. We're not talking about high-end class D such as nCore, Pascal, etc, either. We're talking about ICEPower and little chip amp boards. Insipid, low-resolution, harmonically dead, and fatiguing. Likely sucks at sound stage, but that's not a major problem as customers of these products probably don't care about sound stage to begin with.

Meanwhile, high-performance speakers with high-quality amps remain the domain of middle-aged audiophiles who don't have a part in the next audio-lifestyle wave.

I have four pair of powered speakers that have Class A-B amplifiers. 

Quad 12 Active - mid quality

Blue Sky System One - 2 Ways with sub.

Mid Blue Blue Sky - 3 Ways with sub

KRK Expose - the originals, made in the USA, US electronics and Focal drivers.

With the Blue Sky systems the subs are Class AB also. I have one sub with a Class D amplifier.

There are plenty of others that use quality electronics. Most of the UK monitors for sure. 

The active speakers do not have to play through a passive crossover. This is big.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

I have a pair of Focal CMS50 with class A/B amps on my desktop system.  Do they suck?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

17 hours ago, GUTB said:

With the coming of the KEF LSX being pushed relentlessly by the mid-fi / tech / lifestyle media outlets we have to deal with this issue once again: powered speakers suck. They suck because of class D, because no one wants to add 50 lbs of quality amplification into a speaker. We're not talking about high-end class D such as nCore, Pascal, etc, either. We're talking about ICEPower and little chip amp boards. Insipid, low-resolution, harmonically dead, and fatiguing. Likely sucks at sound stage, but that's not a major problem as customers of these products probably don't care about sound stage to begin with.

Meanwhile, high-performance speakers with high-quality amps remain the domain of middle-aged audiophiles who don't have a part in the next audio-lifestyle wave.

IDK. you could just step up to the KEF LS50 Wireless, especially the Nocturne Edition, and you're in a whole different league! Here's a video that provides all the info you'll need. Very cool!

I have been enjoying my KEF LS50W powered speakers for 18 months.  Sold all my tube amps and tower speakers... abandoned my expensive quest to be an audiophile. Now call myself a music-o-phile.

KEF have done a great job with class D amps and their DSP crossovers.  Pinpoint accuracy and soundstage.  Room correction is a welcome plus.

see Darko’s review of the LSX little brother.

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

GUTB,

I frequent the CA Forums to learn and to enjoy the comerarderie among members.

You provide neither of those attributes.

Worst you are becoming repetitive and boring.

*looks at your system in your sig

I’m sorry.

31 minutes ago, mansr said:

We should lock him in a room with Frank and see what happens.

bc-comic.gif

taylorswift1.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

9 minutes ago, wgscott said:

social queues

Social Queues, or Social Cues ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020