IGNORED

Apple unveils new Mac Mini, iPad Pro, and MacBook Air

Really looking forward to the new Mac Mini - I currently host Roon, iTunes, and JRiver MC on an older Mini (which works well), but it begins to stutter with HQPlayer at DSD256 and above.

I can't recall what @Miska has said in the past - would HQPlayer run better with the 3.6GHz quad core model or the 3.0GHz six core model?  i.e., are clock cycles more important than cores, or vice versa?

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

9 hours ago, kirkmc said:

Exactly. You'd be foolish to pay for 2 TB internal unless you plan to do serious work on that machine. An external SSD, even with USB-3, is more than fast enough for a media server. 

Right - my existing Mini has 256GB of flash storage, but only about 60GB used for OS and assorted applications (e.g., iTunes, JRiver MC, Roon, etc.).  I could easily have gotten by with a 128 (or even 64!).

I saw a write-up on Darko's site today about how a fully-loaded Mini would be over $4k.  I guess that's true, but who would ever put in 64GB of RAM, a 2TB SSD, and 10Gb Ethernet for a music server?  The configuration I'm craving would be the top CPU (i.e., the six-core i7) with 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD.  That'd do me just fine ;)

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

3 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

What do you have on there?  I am using 34.4GB (I just checked) on mine, that's the OS and as few apps as possible.

Thanks for prompting - I never paid much attention as I had so much space left ;) but thought I'd check it out.

Main culprits:

System                                 39.99GB

Documents                            6.71GB

Applications                          6.64GB

GarageBand Sound Library 2.49GB

I did a little cleanup and was able to get it down to:

System                                 37.32GB

Documents                            1.50GB

Applications                          1.50GB

GarageBand Sound Library 0.00GB

That's about as low as I could go - final usage is about 41GB with latest macOS (Mojave) and 16GB RAM.

21 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

did you let the OS turn on file compression ?

I'm not aware of this option - I know there is a file compression option in Windows, but I don't recall seeing in OS X or macOS, certainly not in many years.

13 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

That's for individual files / folders, not the file system, per se.  I guess you COULD compress your boot disk, but I've never seen that be anything but a hassle.

I also don't encrypt my boot disk, as my computer is never outside my house, and there's nothing on it anyone would want, in any case ;)