IGNORED

Apple unveils new Mac Mini, iPad Pro, and MacBook Air

10 hours ago, rickca said:

The Mac Mini is a full fledged desktop machine now (if you can live with external graphics card).  I don't think the pricing is too crazy for Apple.  I am more surprised by an entry configuration iPad Pro at $799.  Clearly the strategy of increasing ASP applies to their entire product line. 

It was a full-fledged desktop machine in the past too. I used a Mac mini as my desktop Mac for a couple of years. The problem is that they hadn't updated it for four years. I'm still using my late 2011 Mac mini as a media server, and probably won't upgrade until it dies, but the specs on the new one are very nice. 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

6 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

@audiophile65 Why would you need a 2TB SSD in a Mac Mini? You can get that and more on an external for a lot less. I have a 2011 Mini still running at home on a 60GB OWC SSD.

Exactly. You'd be foolish to pay for 2 TB internal unless you plan to do serious work on that machine. An external SSD, even with USB-3, is more than fast enough for a media server. 

9 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

you can compress a folder of any size - it's just not automated any more

but, it will solve his problem - NOT as well as adding the very low cost storage we have now, of course...

This has never been automated on the Mac. What is automatic is FileVault, which is whole-disk encryption.