IGNORED

Gallium

Ralf11

Cheers and accepted, in 2018 we had a series of threads where everything sucks, posted by GUTB, lol, I do miss those threads. I use numerous class D amps in the house, our Yamaha UPS-5600 has class D, as do the other sound bars, my Fender Rumble 100 is class D and having listened to class D blind next to class AB I couldn't tell the difference!

Peace

9 hours ago, firedog said:

One of the main criticisms of Class D is that it must suck b/c the amps switching frequency is too low to produce a true audiophile sound. These amps work at a much higher frequency and so supposedly solve that problem. 

Another benefit is the ability to switch much higher current flows with Gallium based semiconductor devices - that is fueling the R&D (power conversion for PV panels, batteries, EVs)

Not sure, but I think Ga might allow a device to operate in Class A for a much greater time before moving to Class B... so you could use a Class A amp to drive something besides a horn or a headphone

OTOH, maybe Benchmark has obviated that need with their licensed technology

Thanks Chris and Ralf.  Whatever y'all decide is fine, I just wanted to own my fail.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.