manisandher

MQA vs HiRez: an apples-to-apples comparison - FINAL

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Hmm, I have to analyze my recent tendency to talk in yoda-like sentences. :D

"My recent tendency to talk in Yoda-like sentences to analyze I have." Surely?

Mani.

Phasure Mach III audio PC -> HQPlayer/XXHighEnd @24/705.6 -> Phasure NOS1 DAC -> First Watt F5-cloned mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers

11 hours ago, manisandher said:

No-one was doing scientific research.

• I was certain I could hear differences between bit-identical playback.
  • So confident was I that this was the case, I invited a well-respected CAer up to demonstrate this to him, with a view to posting the results up, whichever way they went, for all to see. (Does anyone think I would have done this if I couldn't hear what I was hearing?)
  • We captured the input to the DAC digitally in real time during the ABX - there were 30 captures from the 10 ABXs.
  • All 30 captures were compared and shown to be bit-identical.
  • And yet I identified X correctly 9/10 times (1% probability by guessing alone).

I know of no other test conducted as rigourously as this, in situ in a domestic setting.

Mani.

Mani, Thx for the beginning of a Methods section.  You went to the trouble of doing the above so it is not much more difficult to write down what you did in simple sentences.  All of CA would benefit from this.

Several people homed in on software differences as explaining the results, hence my comment.  One person suggested detection of settings thru the door or something.

Another possibility is that something differed in terms of what the DAC did in each case.

If you have eliminated all confounding variables, you have left a difference in the files can be detected by the subject.  (no matter how small and irrespective of which sounds better, or if the difference is worth the cost, effort, etc.)

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

14 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I avoid wasting my time on trivia

Ralf11, Junior Member, joined Oct. 20, 2016, content count  8,716 ?  ?

HolyCow_688-x-371px.thumb.jpg.4b19c612227d24e072f692978d248d59.jpg

...sorry, couldn't resist.

"The fundamental task of music is to give resonance not to objectivity but rather to the manner in which the innermost self is essentially moved according to its subjectivity and the ideal nature of the soul."  ---  GWF Hegel, Lectures On Aesthetics

11 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

Ralf11, Junior Member, joined Oct. 20, 2016, content count  8,716 ?  ?

HolyCow_688-x-371px.thumb.jpg.4b19c612227d24e072f692978d248d59.jpg

...sorry, couldn't resist.

“All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone listening to music.”

27 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

"The fundamental task of music is to give resonance not to objectivity but rather to the manner in which the innermost self is essentially moved according to its subjectivity and the ideal nature of the soul."  ---  GWF Hegel, Lectures On Aesthetics

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Deleted

"If you can't hear the difference between an original CD and a copy of your CD,

you might as well give up your career as a tester. The difference between a reconstituted FLAC and full size WAV is much less than that, but it does exist. - Cookie Marenco"

PROFILE UPDATED 18-06-2019

T

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

On 11/6/2018 at 3:58 AM, sandyk said:

That's a copout !

You have so little confidence in your own listening abilities that you are unwilling to try any of the numerous comparison tracks made available in different C.A. threads, and post your results for other members to see.

Put him on ignore: I did it over a year ago and the SNR improvement was better than an upgrade.

Mac Mini w/ Roon / Tidal -> Schiit Eitr -> Job INTegrated -> JM Reynaud Bliss Silver

On 11/6/2018 at 4:47 PM, kumakuma said:

http://zentalks.blogspot.com/2008/01/one-eyed-monk.html

On 11/6/2018 at 6:21 PM, Ralf11 said:

T

A?

or B?