IGNORED

Incomplete Zappa albums on Tidal. Yikes!

Just noticed. Some , not all , of Uncle Frank's albums on Tidal have tracks that are not available to stream.

Particularly irritating Studio Tan omits "The Adventures of Greggery Peccary"

Of the original vinyl configuration that's one whole side, half the album !

What gives? Is it the same on Qobuz?

" The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance--it is the illusion of knowledge." Daniel.J.Boorstin

There is all sorts of stuff "missing" at Tidal recently; so either fubar by them, or they have some contractual issues for rights to some of the library. It is sort of odd that half an album would be available, and not the other half. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

A brief investigation of the missing Frank Zappa tracks reveals that if a track is over  10 minutes long then it is more likely to be missing.

So why just Tidal? Qobuz has "The Adventures of Greggery Peccary"

" The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance--it is the illusion of knowledge." Daniel.J.Boorstin

This may or may not have anything to do with this.

But...over at the Classical Talk forum they observed that Google Music truncated many classical album track names to nonsensical things like 1. Allegro, 2. Adagio, and so on. That was the reason why after years of being a Tidal subscriber, I ended my subscription. Tidal did the same thing in the exact manner. No one else did, or so I thought, until I heard about Google Music doing the same thing.

I know nothing about Google Music. But if you know someone that does, ask them to look up the Zappa albums and see if you get correlation between what Tidal is doing and Google Music.

It's just a thought.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

55 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Holy Moly!  Alert Kurt Gode

Alas he died in 1978

52 minutes ago, Daccord said:

image.thumb.png.603a346e51ecb3983a8ac304c552ad29.png

Thanks Daccord!

I will investigate further, perhaps even attempt to get a plausible explanation from Tidal

• 2 weeks later...

It is working for me on TIDAL currently ...

1089435272_ScreenShot2018-11-05at11_35_41PM.thumb.png.af7f7bfa8ae1cafb5b546ce36147bf83.png

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk. 1 --> USB --> Matrix X-SPDIF 2 --> I2S --> PS Audio DirectStream Sr. DAC --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 326S --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.

It's OK I got the Zappa reference?

The Tidal issue resolved itself without any intervention needed. Miraculously all the 10min+ tracks started playing again.

This problem has also been reported on Spotify, as far back as 2012

I have only listened to Zappa' CD's some remastered and some digitally recorded vinyl.  Does the high res sound a lot better?

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX

• 6 months later...

I don't know about Zappa, but today nothing has the correct track length. For example, Tidal will know the first track of the album I select is 8:12, but as soon as playback starts it changes to 1:52. Track length is incorrect for every track, but each track has a consistently incorrect length. Completely unusable all day long.

My test track, Greggery Peccary 20+ mins long, plays fine using the Tidal desktop app, but is allegedly only 1min 54secs when played via Linn Kazoo control point. Hmmm???