IGNORED

Article: AURALiC ARIES G2 Review

22 hours ago, barrows said:

With what?

Do you really make purchasing decisions based on what some reviewer says, in an entirely different system context to yours?  I can assure you that this is not the way to get the best sound in your system.

I read opinions of sound quality all over the Internet, from many different sources which are often in direct opposition to my own experience.  Even components which I know for fact from my own experience which really suck, are often praised by a reviewer or online prognosticator.  

Beware the opinions of others on sound quality.

My recommendation stands, listen in your system, sure, use specs, and features to reduce the number of the components to audition, but one must listen in their own system to have any valuable idea of the differences between components of similar price.

Yes, I do base my purchasing decisions on the internet (reviews, etz.), ie at least by a quite a margin.

Why do I choose this approach? Just because I am money constrained and I do want to get the most out of my budget. If I took several units at home for a trial I could not ask for a good discount or buy instead on the used market (that would not be fair). Also think about losses from upgrades/changes.

Furthermore, it would be very very difficult for me to get all main competing devices in my home. Some brands are just not available in my home town. 

In my opinion, each device does play in a certain league, and can be graded accordingly. Maybe, my hifi system is not optimized based on RRP values (there might a better dac/cable suitable for my amp, etz.). However, I guess I did quite a good deal based on my investment. This is just a different approach...

On 10/22/2018 at 4:23 PM, barrows said:

With what?

Do you really make purchasing decisions based on what some reviewer says, in an entirely different system context to yours?  I can assure you that this is not the way to get the best sound in your system.

I read opinions of sound quality all over the Internet, from many different sources which are often in direct opposition to my own experience.  Even components which I know for fact from my own experience which really suck, are often praised by a reviewer or online prognosticator.  

Beware the opinions of others on sound quality.

My recommendation stands, listen in your system, sure, use specs, and features to reduce the number of the components to audition, but one must listen in their own system to have any valuable idea of the differences between components of similar price.

That is right on !

• 4 weeks later...

It was either Stereophile or TAS. One of the reviewers said that the guy who engineered the piece must be deaf. That was back in 1984, when I picked up MY first issue of such magazine. It was the most refreshing moment. I could not stop laughing (at Stereo Review or SteroSound or any other major publications). If I trust a reviewer enough, I can turn any subjective reviews into objective ones (at least to me). My two cents.

Music Source: NAS[Synology], Qobuz, Tidal

Music Player: Roonserver[Mac mini]

Control PC: squeeze2upnp, fb2k, dirac, Jplay Femto, Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 GUI, Mac mini w/HDPlex 200W

Audio PC: Jplay Femto(KS/1000hz), Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 core, i7 w/HDPlex 200W

DDC: Iso Regen w/LPS1.2, Acousence afi+USB (USB to S/PDIF) w/Li-ion battery PS

DAC: Yggdrasil Analog 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2019 at 10:02 PM, LowMidHigh said:

When it comes to digital output, the only factor that affects sound quality is timing, or lack thereof. As the “bits-are-bits” crowd asserts, a $30 Chromecast Audio and a $7,000 Lunim U1 do a perfectly good job in that regard. But, as we know, the clock accuracy and electronic “pollution,” that comes along for the ride, make a difference that cannot be overstated. To rephrase Chris, only when that jitter is aggressively suprassed can the "magic" be conjured up. 

• Switch from RCA to 75ohm BNC, and for a good reason: It's nearly impossible to source out a true 75ohm RCA connector. Thus, the mismatch in impedance could introduce jitter. If anyone is adamant on using an RCA terminated cable, they can mount a $2 adapter onto the BNC and be done with it. In that respect, I don't know why any serious audio companies would even bother with RCA. 

And excuse me while I drown in music…

+1 for BNC. I've been testing Transparent Cables lately and the only demo cables are RCA. Those are dang good FWIW, but I'll be buying BNC when I finally pony up. The converters are total rubbish–they strip away the magic you're talking about above. As Barrows says, use your ears. If you can't tell or don't care, you don't. No harm no foul.

Aries G2 without BNC unfortunately forces you down the AES path. Fortunately Transparent has a trade-in policy if one goes this "big box" streamer route.

But there's magic in them thar boxes. And cables. Crazy (magic) hobby! Back to music now that I've determined I have a "good" copy of Aja...

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I’ve owned the Ultra and Micro Rendus.  The Aries G2 is superior to both, but not a fair comparison as the Airies is much more expensive. 

Those are the only streamers I’ve compared it to not built by Auralic. 

The Airies G2 is superior to the Airies Femto which comes as no surprise.  

I’d guess the a comparable Inuos model and Aurender would give it some competition. Probably others as well. After hearing the Airies I just didn’t need to look further. 

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

• 9 months later...
8 minutes ago, barrows said:

OK, there is some mis-information here.  For USB audio, the audio clocks (that is the clock(s) which are used to clock the data stream out of the USB receiver in the DAC, and the used as the clocks to clock that same data into the DAC conversions stage) are in the DAC.  But, the USB controller chips, which refers to the USB hub chip inside the G2, and the USB receiver chip (often XMOS) inside the DAC requires their own separate clock to control their operations.  This USB clock is unrelated to the audio clock(s) and this clock only controls the operations of the USB chips.  

While the audio clock(s) inside the DAC are the most important clocks for sound quality in terms of the actual D to A conversion (typical audio jitter), in turns out that the performance of the USB clock also does matter (also so does the separate clock which controls the Ethernet processors and data streams).  To summarize: the USB clock does matter, as does the Ethernet clock, so a Renderer which uses higher performance clocks for these parts will have an advantage.

Just remember that all digital processor chips (computer processors, USB hub chips, Ethernet processor chips and switch chips, any DSP chip, any microprocessor of any type) has its own clock which it references, and these clocks may matter for audio performance of the entire chain of the digital data delivery system.

interesting

for clarity, i asked: "how does the usb femto clock work on the usb output of the aries" and they said the dac ignores the timing on the aries through usb so i may find better success with AES, but should try both

18 minutes ago, honeymustardsteve said:

interesting

for clarity, i asked: "how does the usb femto clock work on the usb output of the aries" and they said the dac ignores the timing on the aries through usb so i may find better success with AES, but should try both

Sure, always good advice to try both.  Some DACs, although becoming more rare these days, have better performance through their AES input than through USB.  Although in general, if each input is implemented "perfectly" USB does have technical advantages.  This is more about what input on the DAC is best, and not what output on the G2 is best.  At the price level of the G2 I would hope (and expect) that both its USB output and its AES output are equally superb. 

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 1 month later...
On 10/20/2018 at 8:07 AM, Superdad said:

It is clear that Auralic put some focus on improving the USB output of this piece--since that how many (most) people will be attaching it to a DAC.  In one of the photos you took, it is clear that they derive their DAC-intented USB output by going XMOS > SMSC hub chip > Silanna galvanic isolator chip > further unknown (under white strips) USB processor (most likely another hub chip), with reasonably low-jitter clock.

It's like a built-in ISO REGEN or iGalvanic.  Nice. :D

2131219127_AriesG2USBstage.thumb.jpg.4b7a6be01c8d0ae95c26122a17d721f7.jpg

Someday someone is going to do this with the ethernet RJ45, like EtherRegen built in.  Auralic have done a very good job indeed with wifi tokeep network noise out.

• 4 months later...

For Posterity

A no brainer is to upgrade the LPS in the Auralic to one from Hoer-Wege.

The upgrades kicks in slowly, but drives the level to few notch higher!

Wonder cost-performance ratio!

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2