IGNORED

Increased Shipping Rates from China

super cheap labor will be worthless once the super cheap robots arrive

I agree re the IP theft

However, China has done a lot to reduce GHGs (from what a pure coal fired power economy would be given the growth in demand there)

Finally, I have to point out the superior SQ of analog coal-fired power.  PV is digital and sux

AQ there is horrendous - they are still building coal plants too - but my point above is they are working hard on greener technologies & deployment, and are trying hard to drag people out of abject poverty (hence more coal; but less coal than if they were greening things up) 

I expect that China will caremore about protecting IP when they have their own IP to protect

and BTW in the early/mid-1800s the US was the el cheapo manf. country for a huge flow of goods to Europe - cheap crummy junk - mostly furniture

we see the same thing in post WWII Japan - cheap junk, replaced by the JIS system, the pioneering efforts of Soichiro Honda and others in other industries

and.. there was also the rise of quality manf. in Taiwan and an ad campaign "It's very well made in Taiwan"

so I think a lot of this is endemic to economic asymmetries 

• 5 weeks later...

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

This Barron's article gives a little more detail about the prospects of the USA leaving the UPU.

https://www.marketwatch.com/articles/universal-postal-union-upu-vote-on-international-postal-rates-us-withdraw-51569415835?mod=mw_latestnews

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

7 hours ago, Superdad said:

I would like to read the full article. But Barron’s is a subscription site so it only allows me to see the opening paragraph. :(

Here's an even more current update.  The US will remain the in UPU after a compromise proposal was adopted today.  However, it looks like the USA will now be able to set its own rates beginning July 2020.

https://www.supplychaindive.com/news/universal-postal-union-vote-down-proposal-shipping-rates/563667/

Hey, when are you guys finally get rid of this idiot ?

White House Weighing Limits on U.S. Portfolio Flows into China - Bloomberg

(Updated - September 27, 2019 11:45 AM EDT)

Trump administration officials are discussing ways to limit U.S. investors' portfolio flows into China, according to Bloomberg, citing people familiar with internal deliberations.

Among the options Trump is considering: delisting Chinese companies from U.S. Stock exchanges and limiting Americans' exposure to the China market through government pension funds. Exact mechanisms for this have not been worked out and any plan is subject to approval by President Trump, who has give the green light to the discussion, the report said.

Officials are also examining how the U.S. could put limits on Chinese companies included in stock indexes.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

21 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Hey, when are you guys finally get rid of this idiot ?

Easier said than done.  There is no way the Republican-controlled Senate will remove Trump from office, regardless of impeachment.  And the rich guys who fund things like political action committees are terrified by wealth taxes of up to 8% being proposed by some of the Democratic presidential candidates to pay for social programs like universal healthcare, universal child care and free college tuition.

1 hour ago, rickca said:

There is no way the Republican-controlled Senate will remove Trump from office, regardless of impeachment.

Yes, because of the 2/3rd never will be met.

image.png.899379fddd179b7e731986a49c407938.png

So how many billion is this again ?

The sad thing is that tomorrow he will blame Powell again for the S&P500 being so low.

He is an idiot and a lunatic in one.

Do we even realize how much money is involved in his new little plan ? This is nothing like 25% import taxes over 300 billion or whatever it is today and tomorrow. The freak is enormously dangerous with (t)his power. 

Maybe someone can help me reasoning how this little trick will work out. Example : Alibaba. A market cap of 433 B. So only that one. Will that ground Alibaba when this is just cut out ? Will it even stop all the transactions from China with the Western world ?

Why is he even doing this, the US-China negotiations being due again for next month ?

Is Trump now going short on these now specific stocks, ahead of his next week's announcement that he will think about it for another year (which won't last that) so he can go long on them the usual two days after ?

3 hours ago, John Dyson said:

This is the FIRST President since China's emergence that has a dose of reality WRT economics.

Correct. He helps world economics completely down the drain. You are so right there.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

On 9/28/2019 at 11:29 PM, PeterSt said:

Yes, because of the 2/3rd never will be met.

image.png.899379fddd179b7e731986a49c407938.png

So how many billion is this again ?

The sad thing is that tomorrow he will blame Powell again for the S&P500 being so low.

He is an idiot and a lunatic in one.

Do we even realize how much money is involved in his new little plan ? This is nothing like 25% import taxes over 300 billion or whatever it is today and tomorrow. The freak is enormously dangerous with (t)his power. 

Maybe someone can help me reasoning how this little trick will work out. Example : Alibaba. A market cap of 433 B. So only that one. Will that ground Alibaba when this is just cut out ? Will it even stop all the transactions from China with the Western world ?

Why is he even doing this, the US-China negotiations being due again for next month ?

Is Trump now going short on these now specific stocks, ahead of his next week's announcement that he will think about it for another year (which won't last that) so he can go long on them the usual two days after ?

Correct. He helps world economics completely down the drain. You are so right there.

I do not follow this stuff but 11-11-2016 S&P=2164.45... right?

On 9/25/2019 at 6:49 PM, John Dyson said:

I agree with what you say.   However, now lets talk 'climate emergency', and the huge CO2 decrease in the US without needing to make some kind of economy distorting agreement.   EU isn't coming close to their goals, and China doesn't have serious goals because they are an 'emerging economy.'  There is a huge asymmetry here -- whatever the EU and US does, China will still keep on leveraging their postion not needing to follow through with world environmental challenges.  China has enough money now to do their fair share EVERYWHERE -- no need for IP theft, effective pollution cheating, under paying the people, etc.  They have PLENTY of money for spying though.

Most of those issues -- I don't care.  I only care about proper trade policies, no IP theft, and their fair share of global environment contribution.  Most countries need binding agreements to follow through, some countries are just naturally good at adapting -- China isn' amenable to either.

I say, fix the IP problem, look for the worst polluters that are getting worse, etc -- China is not a good global citizen, and we (the US/major western countries in general) need to take care of ourselves first, and spend the money lost to China doing something actually productive about pollution.

We are 'nice guys' (I mean, the better developed nations), and need to quit being taken advantage of.  It IS an existential issue for the developed west.  WE ARE VULNERABLE to our own folly.  China will NOT be kind when/if they take over.  We (the developed west) need to carefully manage our bounty -- helping the rest of the world when we can.  China will NOT reciprocate.

John

Tariffs for Chinese goods makes sense for encouraging production to move away from China -- this should be a goal to address all of China's abuses including the violation of human rights and their support of "enemy countries", etc.  And the fact that China still has a despotic government leaves no hope of sustained positive change on China's part.

Production had already slowly been moving out of China but the tariffs are speeding it up.  The good thing is that once production is moved away from China, it will not return there. Eventually, there will be "cheap" goods again but made in India or Malaysia or Pakistan, etc.

The problem is that Trump and his administration have been characterizing the situation as a trade battle between the U.S. and China and trying to get a better trade deal.  It's not about trade.  It's about China's abuses and it's despotic government. Once production has moved away from China, a trade deal will be irrelevant in any case.

mQa is dead!

11 hours ago, lucretius said:

Tariffs for Chinese goods makes sense for encouraging production to move away from China -- this should be a goal to address all of China's abuses including the violation of human rights and their support of "enemy countries", etc.  And the fact that China still has a despotic government leaves no hope of sustained positive change on China's part.

Production had already slowly been moving out of China but the tariffs are speeding it up.  The good thing is that once production is moved away from China, it will not return there. Eventually, there will be "cheap" goods again but made in India or Malaysia or Pakistan, etc.

The problem is that Trump and his administration have been characterizing the situation as a trade battle between the U.S. and China and trying to get a better trade deal.  It's not about trade.  It's about China's abuses and it's despotic government. Once production has moved away from China, a trade deal will be irrelevant in any case.

I do not think this is true for the current administration.... the current trade battle focus is simply about putting the USA in the most preferential future trading position with China. Presently, I sense a great deal of respect generally between the two administrations and the affected parties within the supply chains (and I have a more advantageous view of this than most...)  

If they get a good deal, then freight/duty/paperwork will be reduced both ways...

OK now this tariff thing is spreading to US/EU trade.  Everybody knows that tariffs work, right?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/02/malmstrom-retaliatory-tariffs-on-us-possible-before-boeing-ruling.html

This is supposed to help the Uighurs as well, but it looks more like another aspect of the US/China trade war.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-to-blacklist-chinese-artificial-intelligence-companies-2019-10-07?mod=mw_theo_homepage