IGNORED

Increased Shipping Rates from China

3 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

Being in the UK, i am not sure i understand the comments.

Does increasing the import duty on non-USA goods mean that they become more expensive, allowing USA companies to compete ?

Isn't this a good thing ?

Oh wow, finally someone that gets it.  😁

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

21 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Specialty silicon chips (high performance voltage regulators, FPGAs, high-speed isolators, clocks, DACs, etc.) and better spec'd passives (such as Murata MLCCs, etc.) are not available any cheaper to manufacturers in China than to any US manufacturer.  And I've yet to read of any counterfeit Linear Tech LT3045 or Silicon Labs clock synthesizer.  So it is not as if they can clone and produce for significantly less--though of course they can choose to operate on extremely thin margins.

Yea -- they haven't spied enough to get the IP for the other firms.  One reason for the so called 'experts' at tech  is gathering information from the US (not all of the reasons, there is some research happening in China as an arm of the PLA.)  Refer to stealing of GaN technology and other things like that.  (GaN in the past is a vital military technology WRT radar.)

Why do the research in the US if the companies lose their IP to competitors (by theft)?

IP is another reason (perhaps more strategically) for convincing China to do the right thing than even the job-leakage.  Eventually, engineering will be destroyed in the US (it already has been iimpacted.)

China is sovereign -- they secretly don't have to follow the rules?  Who is going to put the PLA in jail?

John

why can't we source semi's from India?  Thailand, Vietnam, Mexico, Brazil?  we can help them ramp up production or build new fabs (like TSM in Taiwan)

ultimately, the cost of manf. will be determined by who has the latest robots, not the cheapest labor

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

I agree 100% that IP theft is a serious problem.

Is it a problem? What does the term 'intellectual property' actually mean? Can you provide examples what 'serious problems' have been caused by China 'stealing' intellectual property'?

I ask these questions because in the software world, patents on software are regarded as a bad idea by most people who actually develop software. Software people value maximum collaboration between anyone who can contribute whether it be a 14 year old American school kid, Chinese phd expert ,  a smart dog or whoever. A company adds value by being able to leverage the common pool of 'intellectual property' faster than the other guys.

Using patents to establish artificial monopolies on 'intellectual property' doesn't make any sense in that context. To me as a software guy, patents don't make sense in general, and my feeling is this idea of 'defence of American intellectual property' thing is just protectionism.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

1 hour ago, jtwrace said:

You can't please everyone it's nearly impossible.  However, as a small business in the USA you can certainly do your part and that starts by sourcing parts in the USA and not pointing fingers at the White House.  While I don't like Schitt sonically, one has to admire their model and its success.  They have proven that it can be done on US soil and I've said it for years that it can.  

Funny that you mention Schiit Audio.  Because I think it was you who back in 2014/15 turned me on to the PCB assembly house in Simi Valley that they use.  Great people.  Really liked working with the owner there.  From Feb. 2015 to September 2017 UpTone spent just under $200K with that firm.

I am not naming them here because of what I am about to say next.  Their prices were competitive, but the quality of their work and the QC was rather poor.  Would find solder splashed everywhere, huge solder bridges--even on big TO-220 size 5-pin regulators--and they got some parts too hot during processing.  They often forgot to clean the excess flux off our boards.

And as a turnkey house (where they order and kit the many parts based on our BoM) they were really weak.  They took way too much time to get parts on order, and then once they did they often fell weeks behind promised dates--and then not even communicate to us about it.  If a part was out of stock, they would just put the order on the back-burner--whereas if they had told me I could easily spec a substitute.  And that was on relatively simple boards (original USB REGEN, MMK, and JS-2).  I declined to even have them bid on our UltraCap product which has 275 parts--some very small.

I know you hang out over as ASR Jason.  So I am sure you have seen Amir's Schiit tear-downs and the many examples he has photographed showing splashed bits of solder and uncleaned boards.  I have a whole folder of photos of UpTone boards with solder bridges by this firm if you want to see. 

I have gotten quotes from other PCB assembly houses in the USA, but they were double.  So we stay with our Canadian firm (who has production lines in both Toronto and Shenzhen) as their communication and quality is excellent, and their performance to promised delivery dates is flawless.

And speaking of PCBs, the bare/unpopulated boards used in Schiit Audio products are produced in China (I know this since the assembly firm we shared for a while routes all their PCB fab biz through the same rep/coordinator.  

And BTW, those MCI transformers Schiit uses?  China or India... 9_9

So while the companies Schiit buys from are located in the USA, not all the parts are made here.

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

why can't we source semi's from India?  Thailand, Vietnam, Mexico, Brazil?  we can help them ramp up production or build new fabs (like TSM in Taiwan)

ultimately, the cost of manf. will be determined by who has the latest robots, not the cheapest labor

The countries you mention don't really have the expertise and skilled labor for high-tech manufacturing.  Otherwise you would already see phones and other silicon-dense products being made in those places.  

And if the US s going to invest in education and production facilities I'd much rather it be here!

22 minutes ago, Richard Dale said:

Is it a problem? What does the term 'intellectual property' actually mean? Can you provide examples what 'serious problems' have been caused by China 'stealing' intellectual property'?

I ask these questions because in the software world, patents on software are regarded as a bad idea by most people who actually develop software. Software people value maximum collaboration between anyone who can contribute whether it be a 14 year old American school kid, Chinese phd expert ,  a smart dog or whoever. A company adds value by being able to leverage the common pool of 'intellectual property' faster than the other guys.

Using patents to establish artificial monopolies on 'intellectual property' doesn't make any sense in that context. To me as a software guy, patents don't make sense in general, and my feeling is this idea of 'defence of American intellectual property' thing is just protectionism.

There are legal definitions of IP.  you might check to see if there is a Wiki, and can also use Black's legal Dictionary.  Beyond that, there are treaties, not to mention

Yes, there are a number of serious problems caused by China stealing intellectual property.  PBS just did a Frontline episode on it, besides the use of Chinese military assets to crack into US businesses and steal their IP and trade secrets.

Patents are distinct from copyrights, and other forms of legal IP protection.

12 minutes ago, Superdad said:

The countries you mention don't really have the expertise and skilled labor for high-tech manufacturing.  Otherwise you would already see phones and other silicon-dense products being made in those places.  

And if the US s going to invest in education and production facilities I'd much rather it be here!

Taiwan certainly does, as does SK.  The other countries I mentioned are developing this expertise.

I suggest that such US investment can be made in the rust-belt and on Indian Reservations if they want it.  High cost of living means it won't work well in trad. high tech areas.

I am not sure I want it limited ot the US however.  It is good to have allies (just ask the Athenians).  If there is really going to be an unfortunate coldish war with China, allies can be useful.

4 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

There are legal definitions of IP.  you might check to see if there is a Wiki, and can also use Black's legal Dictionary.  Beyond that, there are treaties, not to mention

Yes, there are a number of serious problems caused by China stealing intellectual property.  PBS just did a Frontline episode on it, besides the use of Chinese military assets to crack into US businesses and steal their IP and trade secrets.

Patents are distinct from copyrights, and other forms of legal IP protection.

You haven't provided an actual link to a legal definition of 'intellectual property'. As far as I know it doesn't exist in a legal sense. What does 'PBS just did a frontline episode on it' mean in itself?

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

41 minutes ago, Richard Dale said:

Patents aren't bad -- misuse of patents IS bad.  I have seen some really stupid patents (I have to work around some Dueseys -- comes from the automobile manufacturer), but I REALLY DO believe in IP.

I am writing (and been successful) quite complex and difficult to replicate software -- I don't want anyone stealing it.  I have unique set of abilites (all of my faults notwithstanding) and don't want someone else to take advantage of my hard work.  I guess that makes me selfish.  Not all software is 'yet another compiler', or 'yet another accounting system.'

Sure a group of programmers who collectively write a well understood program like yet another OS (been there, done that), yet another compiler (well, I have written one for commercial purposes, but that was MANY years ago -- when compilers were simple).  THOSE subjects are well understood, and I respect the idea that those who write those programs don't worry much about IP - -THEY MOSTLY HAVEN"T INVENTED ANYTHING.  Keeping such softtware private is kind of silly from an IP (theory) standpoint, but from a work-product effort standpoint, there is something to be said for keeping that kind of  IP in commercial situations (think barrier to entry.)

Much NEW  IP IS expensive to achieve -- but stealing it is really simple.  Costs money to create innovative IP -- so where are the US profit centers to pay for creating/inventing/developing new IP?  Once things fall to a certain point, WE WONT EVEN BE DEVELOPING NEW IP.

So, I don't believe in 'free' software as a culture.  I think that it is GREAT to choose to free your own intellectual property (I have done that A LOT -- more than most free softare advocates), but to futher encumber binaries with 'free, but not really' seems a little dishonest to call or even think that it is free.  (I dont' know if you know, but back in the day, I rightfully thought the GPL cult as a religion -- and that is perfectly okay -- just don't call the workproduct 'FREE', because it isn't.)  Also, GPL is kind of good for collective efforts -- see, not arguing against GPL -- just the propaganda (and implied/inferred propaganda) associated with it...  If talking about really free software -- then I like it, and it is fair to call it 'free'.

BUT THE ABOVE IS NOT WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.  What China perpetrates are both theft and coersion to suck US IP dry.

Yet another compiler collaborative project, yet another OS collaborative project, yet another LR parser, yet another this or that, especially in a collaborative project -- okay, free the software -- BUT REALLY FREE IT.  What REALLY competent and experienced software developer hasn't written (or been intimately associated with) numerous kinds of programs whose theory is well known?  THAT kind of IP is cheap (in the sense of commonly available, but not the learning part), but the development costs and the limited number of developers is a major issue.

My successful project has been attempted off/on for 30yrs, with essentially zero success (dont' count that silly plugin -- Satin stuff) as any competition to my project.  I really don't want anyone stealing it or even know how I did it.  I am willing to sell the development service, if desired.  Also, when I publish a paper (which is already being talked about it), PLEASE let me present it -- not someone else who hacked my computer and stole my hard earned work product.

John

28 minutes ago, Richard Dale said:

You haven't provided an actual link to a legal definition of 'intellectual property'. As far as I know it doesn't exist in a legal sense. What does 'PBS just did a frontline episode on it' mean in itself?

I provided ways for you to educate yourself about this issue, which is sorely needed.  If you are so lazy you need to have a link posted, then I cannot help you.

15 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I provided ways for you to educate yourself about this issue, which is sorely needed.  If you are so lazy you need to have a link posted, then I cannot help you.

Thanks for pointing out my shortcomings.

I'm sure the term 'intellectual property' will appear in a legal dictionary, but that doesn't mean that there is a legal definition of it. The term just covers various types of laws about intangible things, which have no legal connection with each other, such as copyrights, patents and trademarks amongst others.

If some politician is waving their hands in the air saying 'China is stealing our Intellectual Property', I personally suspect they might be introducing protectionist measures under the guise of stopping the stealing. Of course that doesn't mean the Chinese companies and the Chines government haven't committed crimes against the United States such as industrial espionage as some of the posts on this thread have pointed out.

44 minutes ago, BrokeLinuxPhile said:

Hacking saves development time.  One company invests a fortune writing a customized software package.  Another comes along and steals it, investing nothing in R&D, coming to market at the same time, with no apologies.  That's why it needs to be stopped.  No  shortcuts, earn it.

I totally agree with your concept and approach - but using the term "hacking" may mislead those who don't understand the difference between creative hacking and malicious hacking.  Hacking used to mean bad computer behavior like breaking into & stealing from databases and systems or planting malware. But hacking today is also a term for rapid-fire sessions ("hackathons") for creation of apps and other problem-oriented coding projects.  It's important to know which is which to avoid condemning beneficial hackers.

I just don't want anyone to misunderstand the good that comes from positive hacking and hackathons.  We run one or two every year at the academic medical center in which I teach & do research.  Teams are given a problem and 2 or 3 days to come up with a workable solution, e.g. improve patient access to their medical records or use demographics for efficient pre-ordering of some components of inpatient care.  Many of our students work around the clock in a truly impressive display of youthful exuberance - the rest of us have to sleep a bit and eat more than Pringles 😁 The prizes, contributed by some of the largest businesses in the region, are both monetary support and career-building opportunities.