IGNORED

Increased Shipping Rates from China

On 9/28/2019 at 11:29 PM, PeterSt said:

Yes, because of the 2/3rd never will be met.

image.png.899379fddd179b7e731986a49c407938.png

So how many billion is this again ?

The sad thing is that tomorrow he will blame Powell again for the S&P500 being so low.

He is an idiot and a lunatic in one.

Do we even realize how much money is involved in his new little plan ? This is nothing like 25% import taxes over 300 billion or whatever it is today and tomorrow. The freak is enormously dangerous with (t)his power. 

Maybe someone can help me reasoning how this little trick will work out. Example : Alibaba. A market cap of 433 B. So only that one. Will that ground Alibaba when this is just cut out ? Will it even stop all the transactions from China with the Western world ?

Why is he even doing this, the US-China negotiations being due again for next month ?

Is Trump now going short on these now specific stocks, ahead of his next week's announcement that he will think about it for another year (which won't last that) so he can go long on them the usual two days after ?

Correct. He helps world economics completely down the drain. You are so right there.

I do not follow this stuff but 11-11-2016 S&P=2164.45... right?

11 hours ago, lucretius said:

Tariffs for Chinese goods makes sense for encouraging production to move away from China -- this should be a goal to address all of China's abuses including the violation of human rights and their support of "enemy countries", etc.  And the fact that China still has a despotic government leaves no hope of sustained positive change on China's part.

Production had already slowly been moving out of China but the tariffs are speeding it up.  The good thing is that once production is moved away from China, it will not return there. Eventually, there will be "cheap" goods again but made in India or Malaysia or Pakistan, etc.

The problem is that Trump and his administration have been characterizing the situation as a trade battle between the U.S. and China and trying to get a better trade deal.  It's not about trade.  It's about China's abuses and it's despotic government. Once production has moved away from China, a trade deal will be irrelevant in any case.

I do not think this is true for the current administration.... the current trade battle focus is simply about putting the USA in the most preferential future trading position with China. Presently, I sense a great deal of respect generally between the two administrations and the affected parties within the supply chains (and I have a more advantageous view of this than most...)  

If they get a good deal, then freight/duty/paperwork will be reduced both ways...