IGNORED

Spikes Around 37 kHz and 40.5 kHz

8 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - I just purchased and downloaded an album from Bandcamp at 24/96. Looking at it in Adobe Audition I see the same spikes at aobut 37 kHz and 40.5 kHz on every track. Anyone know what this is?

Here's a screenshot.

Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 9.31.20 PM.png

Probably switching noise from an SMPS used in the recording setup.

I’ve been exchanging emails with the Brooklyn Duo about this. I mentioned @mansr‘s comment about a possible SMPS issue and received the following response. 

Ah! Likely my M-149 Neumann tube mic, which has a power supply, although the polar mode selector is on the mic itself. Interesting! I wonder if that's a defect or is in all those mics?

Anyone know if this could be the case?

@JR_Audio may know?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’ve been exchanging emails with the Brooklyn Duo about this. I mentioned @mansr‘s comment about a possible SMPS issue and received the following response. 

Ah! Likely my M-149 Neumann tube mic, which has a power supply, although the polar mode selector is on the mic itself. Interesting! I wonder if that's a defect or is in all those mics?

Anyone know if this could be the case?

It's possible. It could also be the ADC or mic preamp (if separate from the ADC). It might even be from an unrelated SMPS that's accidentally sitting close to the mic preamp. Maybe it isn't even an SMPS but some other electronics emitting that noise.

Whatever the source, those tones are not going to audible in any way, so there's really nothing to worry about. If it were my recording setup, I'd probably try to get rid of it just because, but I don't see any reason to feel cheated with your purchase.

4 hours ago, JR_Audio said:

Another reason could be a noise in the recording venue

On many (not all that) old recordings there's a spike just below 16 kHz corresponding to the horizontal sweep frequency of a CRT. Now that LCD screens have taken over, that's thankfully a thing of the past.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:39 AM, mansr said:

On many (not all that) old recordings there's a spike just below 16 kHz corresponding to the horizontal sweep frequency of a CRT. Now that LCD screens have taken over, that's thankfully a thing of the past.

So that's what it is.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

On 10/16/2018 at 6:39 AM, mansr said:

6 hours ago, semente said:

So that's what it is.

Yes, and once you know it, you can load up waveforms of lots of old-ish recordings and that line at 15.7-something kHz from a CRT flyback transformer is everywhere. It's on a lot of '80s electronic music-oriented records in particular, because a good number of synths like the Fairlight were used with a CRT.