IGNORED

Putting Tidal in Perspective

Personally, I think the reason Apple Music, Spotify, etc... have the market cornered is they are the only services that mainstream people know about. I think hitting them with a marketing campaign as I suggested earlier in this thread would be a worthwhile idea for TIDAL and Qobuz. Apple may be able to compete on price, but double it and you get all the audio quality that is impossible with those streaming services right now. I doubt people even. know that.  Heck, even the lowest tier of TIDAL at $9.99 matches Apple and streams at 320kbps, which I think is more than Apple Music.

The problem I see with this approach is, do people have equipment that will let them notice the difference? I would have to guess no they do not, so that means they probably won't find the value in paying $19.99 versus $9.99. So, that leaves us with 2 options. Hope these companies survive or become Hi-Res streaming evangelists alongside David Solomon.

I personally have explained the difference in streaming qualities to a few friends of mine that like music and have convinced them the $19.99 tier of TIDAL is worthwhile. They had no idea why I pay for it when there is a cheaper option available, before I explained it to them.

No electron left behind.

15 hours ago, buonassi said:

And even if they did, they probably just don't care enough about the best sound possible. Good enough is good enough for some people. If it doesnt distort when played loudly, has tight bass and sounds crisp and clear, that's the recipe sure to impress the non audiophile. 

I don't disagree with you. 

edit: I think that's exactly the market Best Buy is in.

No electron left behind.