Blackmorec

Fas42’s Stereo ‘Magic’

16 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Right, so you don't care ...

Frank, time to take a break and regroup.

In principle, I am all for what you are trying to achieve. It is really what we are all trying to achieve. Just don't "poo" on my turf. 

Maybe you and I and Alex ( @sandyk)  should meet over a glass of wine or cup of coffee.

From the Blue Mountains to the Hunter Valley in Oz

Its your call Frank

Sound Minds Mind Sound

29 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Frank, I just realised that my offer might sound in some way intimidating, it is not meant to be. Audiophile get-togethers are supposed to be fun. I promise nothing other than a meeting, but I am always genuinely interested in how to improve my sound system.

Sounds good - wouldn't mind going for a run ... could even listen to some music, 😉.

Frank

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

Over and out.

11 hours ago, fas42 said:

So, some form of a "high end" rig has been running in the household for nearly 20 years now; overall, about a half dozen distinct configs in that 35 years.

Out of interest, which of these many configurations produced the best “magic”?

Windows 10 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, SOtM sMS-200Ultra, tX-USBultra, Paul Hynes SR4 (x2), Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection.

23 hours ago, Teresa said:

At this point I would take it back for a refund. And purchase something that doesn't disappoint.

I quite like this idea.  Buy kit that you think sounds great within your chosen budget.  If you then find that you are not so keen on a certain aspect of the sound, swap the offending piece of kit for something you do like.

Then enjoy music on you chosen system.

Teresa”s stereo magic, perhaps?

Windows 10 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, SOtM sMS-200Ultra, tX-USBultra, Paul Hynes SR4 (x2), Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection.

4 hours ago, Confused said:

Out of interest, which of these many configurations produced the best “magic”?

Good question ... 🙂.

Would be hard to say - each of course has had its own signature, its own weaknesses; which favoured some recordings over others - there was a good period about 15 years ago, when I had the original electronics, and it was driving the old Technics speakers, the ones shown in a post earlier. Did an excellent job with powerhouse rock, the Robert Palmer type of thing, and Jarre style synthesizer efforts. But wasn't so good with very old, swing orchestra type tracks.

It's more the case that the best magic occurs when I happen to hit on exactly the right conditions for a particular setup to shine - and then I can hear what the potential of some recording, which has always been marginal, is - Adele 21 was borderline 2 rigs ago, but the NAD/Sharp combo allowed this to come across beautifully; the Edifiers are still a bit of a hmmm on this album, needs more detail resolution for the mixes to really work as they can.

Frank

Over and out.

1 hour ago, Confused said:

I quite like this idea.  Buy kit that you think sounds great within your chosen budget.  If you then find that you are not so keen on a certain aspect of the sound, swap the offending piece of kit for something you do like.

Then enjoy music on you chosen system.

Teresa”s stereo magic, perhaps?

Fully integrated setups, like the new digital speakers, have come of age, it seems - get the right one, and drive it well - and little goes missing. Easier, and cheaper than ever - I tried this on some Behringer monitors some years ago, but there was too much that had to be sorted; one needs the core electronics to work well enough in raw form, otherwise too much effort is expended on getting the basics right.

Frank

Over and out.

Just came across this, from the Musician DAC thread, http://highfidelity.pl/@main-1023&lang=en.

The description of the SQ, to me, is spot on - the power of the midrange, and up, working beautifully is where the magic is; in particular, the reviewer's take on Jarre's Oxygene nails what the album is about - a sonic soundscape, which was played often on the rig I mentioned just before. Note his comment about the bass not being pumped up ... exactly as it should come across.

Frank

Over and out.

42 minutes ago, fas42 said:

each of course has had its own signature, its own weaknesses; which favoured some recordings over others

This is not a ringing endorsement for the efficacy of your "methods".

If they actually did what you promise, each of the systems would have sounded exactly the same because the only thing you would be hearing would be the recording itself.

Everything matters... when brewing coffee.

48 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

This is not a ringing endorsement for the efficacy of your "methods".

If they actually did what you promise, each of the systems would have sounded exactly the same because the only thing you would be hearing would be the recording itself.

Because the reality is that there is always remnant distortion in the sound, and always will be. The goal is for that to be reduced to zero, and subjectively it can be. How it works in real life, for me, is that I try a recording that I know well on an unknown system - and it's often a bizarre experience - the feeling of the recording is almost completely absent; it's as if an entirely different performance, mastering has been put on - I'm struggling to recognise it.  When systems are getting closer to what they should be like, the signature of the recording comes across very strongly - and what I'm triggering on are the areas where the particular track still "doesn't sound right"; the difference that matters is that the tonality, etc, is still being impacted by shortfalls of the playback.

So, as in most things in life, one never reaches "perfection" - but you're endeavouring to get as close as possible to it.

A good example would be the Led Zeppelin I album, original mastering. Many system reduce this to a hopeless mess - it's almost a "Where do I begin??!" situation. Technically challenging recordings determine the last hurdles for getting a rig to the best possible place - if inherent limitations of the hardware are too much, then it may simply be a good choice to accept that "that's as good as it gets", for the specific setup.

Frank

Over and out.