IGNORED

Fas42’s Stereo ‘Magic’

23 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I'm still waiting for Chris to give me control over this thread, and until that happens there is no point in putting up more material, or responding to intelligent posts - the childishness displayed so far needs to be binned, so no more until that occurs.

Yes, it should be obvious that I very much have my own way of determining the facts - I have zero interest in following the pattern set by others, and take no notice of what "authoritative figures" say - if what they claim doesn't add up, IME.

Most reacting here could get a life, and cease reading if they don't like my POV ... one way or the other, I'll keep contributing until I can safely go somewhere and not be assaulted by supposedly high quality rigs delivering SQ which is really quite awful.

Oh. I see. You want moderator privileges...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

Frank

Blackmorec would most likely be willing to see you take control of his original thread if you asked him.

It is silly to start another thread like this on the same subject, and may even lead to Chris telling you to desist in this area.

Do you want to risk that ?

If you are granted moderation powers  in the new thread, then perhaps the original thread should be deleted entirely ?

Alex

Good point. My thought was that it may be the simplest solution to simply close the first part, and start the second part myself, so that the normal rules could be followed. I attempted to contact Chris immediately after starting this thread, but so far he hasn't even read the message ... so all the nonsense being posted will continue, until he acts.

Failing that, I'll continue the concept of this thread in my blog here.

No, I don't want the original thread deleted - lots of excellent posts there by quite a large number of members - the best outcome is to have a single thread, where I have control; however this is done is ultimately up to Chris.

6 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Good point. My thought was that it may be the simplest solution to simply close the first part, and start the second part myself, so that the normal rules could be followed. I attempted to contact Chris immediately after starting this thread, but so far he hasn't even read the message ... so all the nonsense being posted will continue, until he acts.

Failing that, I'll continue the concept of this thread in my blog here.

No, I don't want the original thread deleted - lots of excellent posts there by quite a large number of members - the best outcome is to have a single thread, where I have control; however this is done is ultimately up to Chris.

In that case you would be better off obtaining Moderation powers for the original thread, and carefully remove ONLY the Ralf 11 type replies.  If you do otherwise you will almost certainly see severe backlashes.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Just had a look at my blog here - first time in a long while 😁 ... and was reminded of the last round I did with the NAD and Sharp setup,

Rather nicely encapsulates how I go about doing things, and what I find essential in dealing with, to break through the barrier which separates having 'ordinary' sound, to that which is special to listen to.

And, just noted the recent activity about the NAD M10, here on AS ... viewed this video,

Yep. Looks good - the future of audio - very close to getting everything right ... a variation of the Dutch & Dutch active speaker approach, in terms of everything in the one box.

If I was starting from scratch now, in terms of extracting optimum SQ from something new, that also had all the modern goodies - this would be a strong contender for what I would go for - a bit of internal hacking, and refinement in terms of robustness from being affected by the external environment, may be all that would be necessary to get convincing SQ. If I managed to destroy it on the way, the money lost is not as severe as for other items out there.

Frank

This thread should be amalgamated into the original thread, not posted here, as you may be unable to keep both threads.

It comes across as Self Indulgence.

Only HUGE threads such as John Curl's Blowtorch Preamp in DIY Audio deserve this kind of treatment

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Still waiting for Chris to come onto the scene - if I see something that I want to comment on, I'll post it here, to keep it on a correct timeline - and in case I forget it, 😉 ... any amalgamation, or reposting, if necessary, in a single thread can be done then, when things are sorted.

Self indulgence? ... I think everyone posting, in any forum, on any matter, is always doing that, 😜.

4 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

You must be a masochist, Frank. You seem to enjoy endlessly posting the same crap that gets you “beat -up” every time! You have a lot to contribute here, Frank. So I have to ask why you continue to flog this particular deceased equine?

George

With all due respect, you appear to be part of the problem, just as several others are. 

Perhaps you should simply refer to a link and post number that you have given previously ? ¬¬

Regards

Alex

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

Just nowhere NEAR to the extent that you do. Everybody tells you that they GET what you are saying and saying endlessly, and that they either don’t care or don’t buy what you’re selling. What do you think that you are accomplishing with these endless posts about your “method”? I really would love to see you explain that!

You don't get what I'm talking about, George - you wish to have a system tell you how good various recordings are, to create a pecking order; I wish to have a system which allows me to extract the most from any recording that comes my way, to enjoy the musical performance therein.

Which is fine ... different drums and all that - unfortunately, this means that most ambitious rigs are quite unpleasant to listen to, with most recordings - and that puts off a huge number of curious people, who might be attracted to the audio scene otherwise.

My "method" is precisely how I work out how to do things like decompressing dynamically constipated recordings - the same type of thinking is involved ... you start with something which "appears a mess", and by careful and focused experimentation, bring forth that which is genuinely worthwhile within. Gung ho approaches might appeal to some, but a lot of what is valuable is discarded, unnecessarily, with that method.

7 hours ago, fas42 said:

I'm still waiting for Chris to give me control over this thread, and until that happens there is no point in putting up more material, or responding to intelligent posts - the childishness displayed so far needs to be binned, so no more until that occurs.

NOOOOOOAAAH !!!!!! 😅😅

Chris don't do it !😁🤬😵

Sound Minds Mind Sound

I come in here just for a laugh, but in addition to his absurdities, why does he insist on using the quotation marks multiple times in every post?

13 hours ago, fas42 said:

My "method" is precisely how I work out how to do things like decompressing dynamically constipated recordings - the same type of thinking is involved ... you start with something which "appears a mess", 

You don't need quotation marks there. 

21 hours ago, gmgraves said:

How about hitting him over the head with an Ampex 300-3 complete with record/play amplifiers? Think that would do it?

Maybe. Better still if you and @Audiophile Neuroscience were to team up somehow.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

14 hours ago, gmgraves said:

You have said this 100 times, at least. No matter how many times you say it, nobody cares what you are talking about! Audio is a personal pursuit. We all have our ways of getting our systems to sound the way we want them to. Everybody on this site has read your “method”; EVERYBODY, and again, nobody cares. Repeating it over and over again won’t make it any more believable.

You're right, George - the divide is probably too great ... if people want their "systems to sound the way we want them to", then my thinking is no value to them - I'm interested in the "system sounding like the recording" - and if people wish to believe that most recordings are very ordinary, then they wouldn't see any value in what I'm aiming for.

They may be unpleasant to you, but to most audiophiles, ambitious rigs sound great. That you don’t like them is really irrelevant to the rest of the world.

It's relevant because the obvious distortion in those rigs is then accepted as being part of the deal. And if that is the standard that is left to rule indefinitely then we will continue to have general mediocrity in the SQ that one comes across - you don't like PA setups, but you can't see that if there isn't any motivation to improve the standard, because people demand that they do better, then we will be cursed with that on an ongoing basis.

Whatever. But the point is that you have beat this subject to death. What I would really like for you to explain is what you get out of endlessly repeating this stuff and starting new threads all the time and starting over with the same stuff, whenever the current thread wanders too far from the “Frank Show”. Please enlighten me so that I can go away from you and your “method”.

George, it's people like you who make it a "show" - if you wish to go away from it, don't follow the thread ... it's really quite simple.

One thing that you are correct about is that unless Chris gives you moderation power over your threads, there is no use of you posting any more material. If I were you, I’d stick to my guns. Don’t post anything else. that’ll show ‘em!😉

You mean, make my day ... 😉

5 hours ago, Jeff_N said:

I come in here just for a laugh, but in addition to his absurdities, why does he insist on using the quotation marks multiple times in every post?

You don't need quotation marks there. 

I use double quotation marks for scare quotes, single quotation marks if I'm certain that many or most people have a different understanding of the term than what I'm trying to convey at that moment - not 100% consistent about this; but who's perfect? 🙂.

7 minutes ago, Jeff_N said:

You need about 2% of the quotation marks you use. People understand your meaning without them.

You're going to get repetitive stress syndrome in your right pinkie finger.

That's the theory, but I have seen plenty of fights break out in threads, on many forums, because people take it literally when something is not quoted - and 2 pages later it's finally resolved ... I'm "over quoting", 😁😁😁, to try and make sure this doesn't happen ... sorry to offend you, 😉.

15 minutes ago, Jeff_N said:

You're going to get repetitive stress syndrome in your right pinkie finger.

That is assuming that he touch types. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Just rereading the, what was intended to be read as a repeat of that in the other thread, OP and noted this bit,

Finally. I believe a fairly large number of audiophiles have already reached and gone beyond this milestone and are now working on the many improvements listed above. Frank creates the impression that once you’ve reach ‘sonic nirvana’ you brain does the rest and there’s nothing more to do.  I would put it a little differently. Once your system is good enough to allow your brain to perform its magic and create that 3D soundstage you can move on to address other performance issues that still limit your system’s performance....issues that you’ll clearly hear once addressed

George is frustrated, and asks why I keep repeating my "message" - well, I'll stop doing it when I go to an audio show and have the vast majority of ambitious setups perform the 3D soundstage trick ... that means the manufacturers have learnt enough to get the engineering right in the first place, and not expect the consumers to jump through endless hoops, after purchase, to sort out that which has been left undone