IGNORED

Fas42’s Stereo ‘Magic’

2 hours ago, semente said:

I also dislike listening with headphones, but you can't deny the fact that the room has a significan't impact on what we listen to when using speakers.

Heaphones remove the room factor (but they create other problems).

Which other problems do headphones “create”?

10 hours ago, fas42 said:

Nope! My experience is that speakers sound better than headphones, by default - the latter just irritate me, they have no virtues whatsoever, apart from shielding someone else in the room from having to listen to music they don't want to hear - to some degree at least, 😄.

What some people probably like headphones for, on their systems - to present the environment of the recording as the dominant sound event their ear/brain is registering - is also what speakers give, and do so far more flexibly - it's just a lot harder, currently, to get most setups to do that, effortlessly.

Yes it much harder to get a speaker system to sound really good and accurate. If the room is bad from an acoustic point of view it’s very hard to get a “good” sound. But remember that all the gear and things upstream of the speakers that affect a speakers system has also to be dealt with on a headphone system.

With which headphones and together with which amps and DACs have you come to your conclusion on?  

Try to be specific for ones.

12 hours ago, fas42 said:

I'm sure that the sound would be improved if every factor of the room was carefully controlled. But that is exactly the same situation as bringing, say, a great female singer into a "bad" room, or concert hall, versus a "good" environment - would you walk out in disgust because you couldn't appreciate the qualities in her voice, as a result of the acoustics not being "perfect"?

You are too funny. We are discussing sound quality not the quality of the artists here. Of course the music is the most important, and yes I can listen to musician playing in a less than optimal concert hall, but I rather do it in concert hall where the qualities of singer voice can come true as clear and uncolored as possible.  

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/27/2020 at 1:32 AM, fas42 said:

Noting another member on a similar journey to me, @dmance. His angle is stopping RF effects, which is a major part of the picture - has a business, Audiowise, which sells products which aid controlling this factor. His blog on the site uses the same language I do, in describing what one needs to do, and what is possible - he has a solution using a very efficient speaker driver driven directly by the high output DAC circuitry - straight from @ray-dude's songbook! 😁 - which delivers, "magic" sound. ... Yet Again, simplicity is a powerful tool for accessing the meat in this game, 😉.

Lol you must be kidding. First of all everyone here is trying to stop EMI/RF effects. Secondly @dmance provide concrete solutions to how to do that, something you never seems to do 9_9

10 hours ago, Teresa said:

Depends if it is in the audible range and at a high enough level. See below.

None IMHO.

Or in my experience, heard. I was hearing bad radio frequency interference (RFI) that actually sounded like a low level slightly mistuned radio station playing when I had no music playing or in between songs. I don’t own a tuner so I had no idea where this was coming from.

I bought a used Monster HDP1800 High Definition PowerCenter at a pawn shop for $60. I routed all my system power cords through the PowerCenter 1800 and the interference disappeared completely. The best $60 I ever spent.

I'm sure this is a worst case scenario, but shows RFI at least in some cases is audible and can be removed with a line conditioner.

Theresa my friend a power line conditioner is great for reducing Power-Line Noise but not for airborne RFI and to block radio broadcasting waves.

13 hours ago, fas42 said:

Dealing with EMI/RF is part of the battle, IME - I did nothing in this area with the first rig 30 years ago that was directly intended to help me in this, but it still was able to deliver capable SQ; albeit it was frustratingly unstable in how it performed. Turned out, in hindsight, that this was due to static factors, something I was completely unaware of at the time.

Buying someone's packaged solution for RF, say, may, or may not, be the vital step in your setup - I've always known that working on the overall integrity of a particular system is what produces "magic sound" - and what a particular rig needs is always going to be different. One from the next. Which is why I could never produce and deliver packaged "fixes" ... it just doesn't work that way ...

How it works is, tell me what a system is not doing right, build a picture of its distortion signature, by doing experiments - and that suggests one, or several approaches for improving the integrity of the setup.

Have you heard and understood the expression you do not have to reinvent the wheel? The things that generate EMI / RFI in our homes are more or less the same and do not differ much, as are good measures that are to prevent these from having a negative effect on sound.

8 hours ago, fas42 said:

Yes, but the wheels are not always put on the axles ... 😁.

Ummm, 30years ago there wasn't Internet, cordless phones, smart phones, etc - things have changed. With later setups, once all these goodies had invaded our space, I had to take measures - like our friend @dmance says, assume everything is an antenna, until proven otherwise.

The reinvention of the wheel symbolizes a figurative, non-literal meaning, a so-called Idiom 😉.

30 years ago we certainly had less noise pollution from SMPS, PCs, mobiles, LED lights, Wi-Fi gear etc.

To assume that everything can act like an antenna is a good starting point – let me know what you have done to minimize the antenna effect in your current stereo?

On 8/1/2020 at 9:37 AM, Confused said:

I understand this, although I have to say that my approach is different.  I have visited a lot of audio shows, and the thing that always interests me most is listening to different speakers.  For me, speakers make the largest contribution to to the sound of a system, or to put it another way, they are the most significant variable.  To put this another way, you could select one speaker and try it with a number of amplifiers.  Assuming the amplifiers are of suitable specification to adequately drive the speaker, then the differences tend to be relatively subtle.  Conversely, you could try a given amplifier with a range of speakers that it could adequately drive, and the differences will be significant.  In your case, you mentioned that you liked the Bryston / Dynaudio system.  I suspect that you could have "swapped out" the Byston for a number of decent alternatives, and you would still like the system.

As an example of this, I was once lucky enough to try the Blades with a range of Bryston and Chord products.  The Bryston 4B SST drove the Blades nicely, and probably stands as the best thing I have heard with the Blades at a particular price point.  Move to say a similarly priced Chord SPM 1200 II, on the same day with all other variables the same, there are some differences, but they are subtle.  Interestingly, during this demo I was able to try a Bryston DAC and a couple of Chord alternatives.  To my ears, I much preferred the Chord DAC's, even moving to models at a significantly lower price point than the Bryston.  This also indicated that my own preferences were influenced more by which DAC was in play than which amplifier, within similar price brackets at least. It is a lot of hassle organising demos like this, but I enjoy doing it and I learn a lot from it.  From this one demo, I learn the subtle differences between Bryston and Chord amplifiers and I learn that  I like whatever it is Chord do with their DACs.  I also learn the extent of differences moving from one amplifier to a similar product further up in the model range  I now know that I would be pretty happy changing my system to Bryston amplification with a Chord DAC.  I gained enough information to understand that I would probably be happy with a Chord DAC and a number of alternative amplifiers, albeit with slightly different end results.  A fascinating aspect of this demo was that the Bryston amps tended to have more prominent mid-bass, versus the Chord amps that seemed to have better bass definition and extension.  Later looking at the specifications of what I was listening to, it was clear that the Chord amp tended to have a lower output impedance versus the Bryston.  Maybe a correlation, maybe a coincidence, but all part of a learning curve and a journey of experience that I personally find fascinating.  Without going into all the details, I noticed a similar contrast between two other amplifiers on a later occasion, and here again the product with the lower output impedance happened to be the one that dug deepest into the low frequencies.  Again, this is not proof of correlation, but it is a case of building on ones own experience and the influence on ones own subjective perceptions. 

I know others will have a different approach and perhaps their own view regarding how I go about things, but that is fine.  I do things my way, I enjoy it enormously, and have archived my own slice of magic along the way.  That said, I am always interested in the views of others, and learning from others can be a lot less hassle than trying to do everything yourself.

I can be completely honest here and say that anyone who gets pleasure from their system and from the enjoyment of music itself, has my complete respect, irrespective of how they approach what is ultimately a fascinating and complex subject. 

Respect is important though, particularly when dealing with a subject that has such a large subjective aspect to it.  Subjective matters are personal, so where I see a problem is where individuals try to force there own personal subjective views on others, when they may well see (and hear) the world very differently.  I love the sharing of ideas, which is why I participate on this forum, but the imposition of ideas can be a little problematic, particularly when in the realm of the personal and subjective. 

Lose respect and the sharing stops, and I think we all sacrifice something.

There is a significant difference between the electrical and mechanical interaction between an amplifier and a speaker, which differs in terms of influence to other parts of a hifi system. If you're interested in my explanation of this, I can try to explain this in more detail, but only if you are.

38 minutes ago, fas42 said:

You're seeing in real time what I doing, in the Edifying Journey thread - many of you would listen to how it sounds now, and pick holes left, right, and centre, and tell me I'm wasting my time. And miss completely what's going on - I'm listening to what's it getting right, and reacting to where it's not up to scratch ... I keep applying my step by step surgery approach, because at some point it should fully blossom - it's no more complicated than that, but you keep wanting something mystical beyond those steps.

A person who is certain that it's impossible to clear a high jump will crash into it every time; the one that worked out a slight variation of his jumping action, and fluked it once, now knows he can do it; so, refines his technique - and now regularly clears it. There are no more mysteries than that ...

I know about your “step by step surgery approach”, I just don’t get what you do and have asked you the same question over and over again.

I have not followed the Edifying Journey thread and thought you had keep them in “raw form”. Can you please tell me what you have done to them and which SQ affects you have gained?

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

And yet, magical thinking pervades this site, well outside this thread, especially now that Chris banished all objective thinking folks.

I get the frustration with Frank, I’ve gone a few rounds with him myself ;) Whatever you think of him or his posts or his methods, he doesn’t deserve to be singled out and personally attacked in a way exhibited here lately.

Interesting things can happen when you engage Frank in a civil conversation unrelated to his ‘magic’: he has a depth of knowledge and understanding of audio that may really surprise you. 

When you say that magical thinking pervades this site and that Chris has banished all objective thinking folks you make it clear what you think about me and most other people on this cite. Seriously, I have no desire to discuss anything with someone that believes the above to be true. Yes Frank have much to share and have told him so before. I just can’t get what is his tweaks is and what they are supposed to do (and am not alone).

I have not seen anyone forcing anyone to get audiophile fuse, audio grade AC cord or grounding box full of rocks. I have only seen people sharing their own experience (or theory) with these, nothing more. I use audio grade power cords as well as IC and USB and think that they “sound” better than the generic ones. I can’t understand people that can’t hear the difference between good and bad cables in a good sorted audio system. Which cable that fit the good and the bad is of course it's up to everyone to decide.

14 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Well, it would be a good start to read through it ... 😉

To summarise, I have done quite a bit to add significant effective mass to them, they now weigh of the order of a large Wilson, say, in the sense that when I push on them, that's the sort of mass it feels like - but still could be better ... not coupled to the floor well enough yet. This has tamed the bass, which was too much, and too loose.

All cables stabilised by damping material, and carefully dressed in the route they take. I worry about static effects, and take extreme care in making sure that anything that part of the rig touches is not causing an issue - the "silliest things" can make a major difference; take nothing for granted.

Biggest issue at the moment is that electrical activity in the house degrades the sound; two stages of mains filtering still not good enough - so I'm working on that right now.

The system goes loud, sounds clean, good tonality - what it lacks is low level detail resolution, so soundstage is not up to standard. I may need to go inside to improve this, on the ToDo list ...

That is more like it 🙂. Please can you provide some pics of them with the tweaks in place.