IGNORED

Fas42’s Stereo ‘Magic’

14 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

you want ice cream to taste like beef? This is what happens when you get your measurements mixed up🤣

Guinness ice cream is awesome, BTW.......

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

7 minutes ago, Confused said:

I see this a little differently.  For me Archimego's article looks reasonable.  Maybe I am able to step away from worrying about the subjective versus objective debate, for me it is pointless and I suspect the vast majority of audiophiles are "somewhere in the middle" anyway.  I think most are happy with subjective views, and maybe interested in measurements to some extent.  Those at the extremes are rare an can be ignored, they are usually just having fun taunting those at the other extreme anyway.

We then have the concept that something that does not "measure perfectly" may in fact have "distortions" that are euphonic.  In such a case something will not have objectively perfect measurements but may sound great.  For me this is a relatively easy concept to understand, and as others have mentioned, perfectly explains why many like the sound of SET valve amps, vinyl, Harbeth speakers, and similar.

Imagine two reasonably normal folk meeting at an audio show (?Oxymoron?), one says, this sounds great does it not?  The other says, yes it does, although I understand it measures badly, The other says, "it just goes to show that something can measure badly and still sound great".  They then wonder off together, hand in hand in audiophile bliss.

Of course, if one of them posts about their experience in the wrong section of an audiophile forum, someone might chime in saying "you are an idiot liking the sound of that overpriced bad measuring thing, either that or you are so stupid that just like the sound of distortion".  But that's just the internet for you.

I built a pair of those amps. Were they the end all and be all? No, but they were 288 USD or so. These were designed to help people build amp and learn how to do it. I think they succeeded well. 

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

27 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Who has heard a refrigerator that sounds good? Mine is either silent or annoying when the compressor comes on. Even lo-res MP3 sounds better.

I think you are missing the point. MBL cost the same as a nice used car, not a refrigerator (that may be Wharfedale Linton Heritage, LS50's, etc). Way different price range :D

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

16 hours ago, fas42 said:

Without comment,

Thoughts?

I think you can get there without spending more money than I make in two years. I won't deny people who can, it is their money after all.

You can't have it both ways Frank and you are definitely trying to.

I think you can get a decent sound system w/o spending a ton of money.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

2 minutes ago, Confused said:

This YouTube clip sounds a little better to me than the previous two "systems clips" that were posted in this thread.  Although I find it hard to judge how much of this is down to the recording or the actual system.  I suspect the equipment and method of recording is actually better for this example.

I'd love to hear the system for real, but this would just be out of curiosity, I would not be interested in buying £100k speakers.

I would also like to hear the system with different music than included in the clip, but that is just another curiosity.

It also occurs to me that I would very much like to hear a Gryphon Diablo, but it is the one thing I have never come across at a show or a dealer.

Well, I know of a dealer in Omaha, NB for Gryphon and was lucky to hear one during a demo, when I walked in and asked if I could listen a bit. Very nice but class A means it is a good heater for winter.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

@Audiophile Neuroscience Man, I would love to hear your system! Very amazing and impressive.

Mine is small beans, in comparison, but it does for me quite well. What I am currently using is bolded in my signature.

Nothing fancy, but all that matters is the smile on my face.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

6 hours ago, fas42 said:

You know, if I said my rig cost $200,000, say, no-one would blink an eyelid - the really, really disturbing thing, for them, is that I mention numbers say under $1,000 ...people are obsessed with the need for stuff that can do "special things" costing big bucks ... otherwise the universe might end tomorrow, because all the 'natural' laws are being broken ... 🙂.

No Frank, that is not how it works. The really disturbing thing is people HAVE put their cards on the table and you are still holding yours. I mean, mine is in my signature and I have put mine up, which isn't fancy at all.In fact, except for the speakers (some speakers not all), most of my equipment I bought used. I am not embarrassed and neither should you. Let's see it.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

5 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Hi Anthony,

wow, that's some pretty impressive weight in those amplifiers! My Mephisto weighs in at a puny 108 kg!!:) It is the stereo version. I could have gone for mono blocks (doubling the weight ha ha) but it still wouldn't come close to yours. I previously owned the reference one Gryphon mono blocks. I didn't need mono blocks this time especially since I upgraded to the Vivid speakers.

I am now in the Hunter Valley and if I recall correctly you are up Toowoomba way. We must catch up one day after the big V is gone.

LOL my Pioneer M-22 weighs  a puny 55 lbs and it is only an anemic 30 WPC (actually, when it was recently rebuilt by a friend, it measured 38 WPC) :D

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

10 minutes ago, Confused said:

Out of interest, how much audible difference to the sound would you expect this to make?

You mean measurable or subjective difference? I do not think routing the cables will make a measurable difference. Subjective, yes, as your brain fills in what you expect to hear.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

You're missing the point, Alex - every processing operation is like a reel tape generational loss - use the best R2R tape decks, do a copy of the master, do a copy of that copy, again and again - by the 20th iteration, the SQ will most likely be pretty mediocre, and obviously so. In spite of the fact that the master was pristine, and you used the best machines to do the generational thing.

The name of the game is to reduce those losses, when you listen to the replay of something, to the lowest possible level - if you do it really well, then subjectively, it will be indistinguishable from the source - the contents of the recording you're listening to. The very best audiophile playback will always be 'lossy', but hopefully you will get away with it, in the flesh - it will sound, "as good as it gets". But add further "generational losses", like the direct YT playback, as I described, then the imperfections of that first playback are now magnified enough to be clearly heard.

You are missing the point, starting with a lesser initial subject, based on what you say, it will only get worse. Why start there?

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

12 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

Aarf. Aarf. The real magic is in the crystals! Secret revealed...

Shun Mook discs and magic rocks.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Well, this is why I put my Royd Doublets in the chain, in my listening room. The designer believed in critically damped cabinets when designing speakers. So, for a lower cost speaker these cabinets are do not vibrate. Why not use steel plates with shelf liner, if you are trying to dampen things?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/syq5hwst281wxga/20200822_102557.mp4?dl=0

A minute cellphone video of mine - playing an intro to a song by Erasure - it is a CD RIP.

See, is it hard? No, but like it to sound better :D

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

This morning I was in a wistful mood, so I played one of my favorite recordings and recorded it. Dong-Hwa Lee - J.S.Bach: Suite for Cello Solo No. 1 in G Major BWV-1007-1 Prelude - performed on solo Tuba. :D I recorded the whole piece on my phone 😅

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tv7tthw57obzp5z/20200823_092508.mp4?dl=0

This is a 96/24 file.

Dong-Hwa Lee – Beyond (2017) [Official Digital Download 24bit ...

This room will not be tweaked any more as we will be moving to the Northern Chicago area in a few months.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590