IGNORED

Auralic G1 or Lumin u1 mini

primetrex

On 10/29/2018 at 6:32 AM, George Hincapie said:

MQA is crap IMHO. I have tried it and don't like it. I would never buy any product specifically for MQA, or consider the presence of MQA in a product as a positive.

Lumin streamers are very good just using Roon and playing non-MQA files. I thought we, as a community, were past all this MQA bollocks?

Anyone who prompts MQA is sawing the branch they site on.

The format is there to line the industry's pockets, force the customers to toe the line, and adds nothing to SQ whatsoever. Don't forge your own chains! 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

As for the original OP question:

From my reading and applying my own analysis, it seems thd G1 has lower jitter level than the mini. It makes sense: the G1 employ a LPS wherase the mini is equipped with SMPS. Moreover, the G1 has 2 x lps, galvanized and powering a different PBC each to reduce jittet. 

There are LPS upgrade kits for the Lumin, ranging between $450 and $700. Their advantage it the total separation between power and processing, but the Lumin has a single PBC so some interfere is inevitable. There was an attempt to minimize it, though, with a rudimentary display and no user input built in. Lastly, we shouldn't forget the pesky issue of voiding the warranty...(Lumin would've been wise to implement a wall wart, so customers could've connected an LPS without modding the device. I suppose it would've reduced the price too. Double wammy). 

I like the Lumin--the look, small footprint, quality of construction , BNC output, and great software. But the G1 seems to hold the SQ edge. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini]