IGNORED

Auralic G1 or Lumin u1 mini

primetrex

Question

Lumin is Roon Ready.  So Lumin can be used with Lumin app, Roon, other OpenHome app or UPnP app.  So people can choose the UI they like.  Some people like Roon ($500 lifetime license), many Lumin users are satisfied by the free Lumin app.  There are even more non-Lumin player users who run special computer software such that they can use Lumin app.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

17 hours ago, mordante said:

To be honest I really don't see the point of using Roon. Why use it when the Lumin/Aurender/Auralic/dCS etc software is free. 

Of these four brands, only Lumin and one other brand (which does not output USB audio) offers free MQA and is Roon Ready.  One other brand is Roon Ready but does not have an official MQA Core decoder.  The remaining brand is not Roon Ready, and charges $50 for the MQA decoder in its transport product line without analog output.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On 10/19/2018 at 11:28 AM, mordante said:

I highly doubt that most people are using Roon. Personally I know of no one that uses Roon.  To be honest I really don't see the point of using Roon. Why use it when the Lumin/Aurender/Auralic/dCS etc software is free.

Then you need to get out more. Everyone I know uses Roon. Look at these very forums. Roon is ridiculously good, and miles better than manufacturers own software. And yes, I have used them all.

You clearly haven't used it, so try it then come back and tell me your thoughts.

2 hours ago, mordante said:

Nope, I'll never ever use streaming software that requires me to keep a PC running all the time. I stream using a NAS (synolgy DS214) a streamer (Auralic Aries LE) and a DAC Schiit (gungir multbit). I really don't want to add a PC to that chain. One day I might replace the Aries LE with a Lumin or Aurender.

All I see of Roon is that it is some network player with a wiki database. So what is the added value?

You don't need to add a PC to your existing chain if your Synology is powerful enough.  I run Run Core on a QNAP NAS, no PC involved.

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

On 10/19/2018 at 8:53 PM, wklie said:

Lumin is Roon Ready.  So Lumin can be used with Lumin app, Roon, other OpenHome app or UPnP app.  So people can choose the UI they like.  Some people like Roon ($500 lifetime license), many Lumin users are satisfied by the free Lumin app.  There are even more non-Lumin player users who run special computer software such that they can use Lumin app.

When i was contemplating a Lumin D1, i was going to use jriver which it also supports (UPNP), but looked at Lumin Ap an it seemed it would suit my desires more than fine.  I personally would go for LUMIN from the research I did, but i was looking at lower end units than the U1...The higher end LUMIN that supports fiber inputs sounds great if i could budget.

On 10/28/2018 at 4:29 PM, George Hincapie said:

Then you need to get out more. Everyone I know uses Roon. Look at these very forums. Roon is ridiculously good, and miles better than manufacturers own software. And yes, I have used them all.

You clearly haven't used it, so try it then come back and tell me your thoughts.

I have tried ROON, and didn't care for it, mainly because of price and inability to file browse....but i understand if people want their gui, but it's not my cup of tea....either way, the LUMIN does support it, so that is not an applicable criteria for topic.

On 10/29/2018 at 12:29 AM, George Hincapie said:

Well, Roon is liked by many. The only thing is that Roon connects only with Tidal. That's a pity, because Qobuz is way, way better than Tidal. Most native apps support both streaming services, so you do have the choice, even though the native apps might lack behind Roon. Nevertheless, having both streaming options at hand is a real plus and I see myself more and more using the native app of my streamer. 

16 hours ago, mordante said:

I stream using a NAS (synolgy DS214) a streamer (Auralic Aries LE) and a DAC Schiit (gungir multbit). I really don't want to add a PC to that chain. One day I might replace the Aries LE with a Lumin or Aurender.

I am contemplating trying NAS direct to my ND8006....in your configuration did you just configure NAS as upnp?  I bought a netgear, but haven't taken out of box yet.

16 hours ago, mordante said:

All I see of Roon is that it is some network player with a wiki database. So what is the added value?

+1 no desire for that interface...i prefer to file browse my own structure.

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

I am contemplating trying NAS direct to my ND8006....in your configuration did you just configure NAS as upnp?  I bought a netgear, but haven't taken out of box yet.

Do unpack that Netgear, they are great!

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:24 AM, beerandmusic said:

The Lightning software provided by Auralic took care of the upnp.

I know nothing of network control and upnp setup.

[br]

On 10/29/2018 at 6:32 AM, George Hincapie said:

MQA is crap IMHO. I have tried it and don't like it. I would never buy any product specifically for MQA, or consider the presence of MQA in a product as a positive.

Lumin streamers are very good just using Roon and playing non-MQA files. I thought we, as a community, were past all this MQA bollocks?

Anyone who prompts MQA is sawing the branch they site on.

The format is there to line the industry's pockets, force the customers to toe the line, and adds nothing to SQ whatsoever. Don't forge your own chains! 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

As for the original OP question:

From my reading and applying my own analysis, it seems thd G1 has lower jitter level than the mini. It makes sense: the G1 employ a LPS wherase the mini is equipped with SMPS. Moreover, the G1 has 2 x lps, galvanized and powering a different PBC each to reduce jittet. 

There are LPS upgrade kits for the Lumin, ranging between $450 and $700. Their advantage it the total separation between power and processing, but the Lumin has a single PBC so some interfere is inevitable. There was an attempt to minimize it, though, with a rudimentary display and no user input built in. Lastly, we shouldn't forget the pesky issue of voiding the warranty...(Lumin would've been wise to implement a wall wart, so customers could've connected an LPS without modding the device. I suppose it would've reduced the price too. Double wammy). 

I like the Lumin--the look, small footprint, quality of construction , BNC output, and great software. But the G1 seems to hold the SQ edge. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

Well,  I dont care if inside the unit is pixie dust and mouse turds.

Which one sounds better.   They are transports.  So I have my own dacs.  

I just want to know which sound you like??????

m usicguy

I have a lumin u1 mini now.  amazing.    But i want another one.  do I change brands or stick with lumin??