IGNORED

Question about highdeftapetransfers.com reissues

Hello,

I'd like to ask you about your experience with highdeftapetransfers.com re-issues, quality of the high resolution files, if they are legit and sound quality? I emailed them, but without any response and when I've checked the first sample from their website it looks like that below. Do you guys have any comments? Thanks a lot in advance, because they have some recordings I would like to obtain, but not sure about their philosophy.

coltrane.thumb.png.4a8719111f855b3b2ca8db8675cf8a5f.png

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

My first purchase from them was in 2013: Walton's Symphony #1 / Previn. Outstanding interpretation and recording, though not as good, soundwise, as the 2014 Chandos/Gardner/BBC offering. Since then I have purchased half dozen or so classical titles from them.

If they are new releases, you are taking a chance. If they have been available for some time, I always read the customer comments/review section, as they are generally very good about weeding out the poorer quality transfers.

I like to think of them as a digital replacement for vinyl that I already own. If I kept my old TEAC reel-to-reel, made tape transfers on my Dual TT in the early '70's, and digitized those tapes today, I would be proud of the results if they sounded like HighDefTapeTransfer's offerings.

Dynamic Range is probably the area that jumps out as lacking by comparison to today,s technology. Stay away from the DSD markup or 192khz markup - that's a complete waste of money.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

48 minutes ago, mkrzych said:

Thanks guys for info, I am interested in some jazz titles from them like Ah Um Mingus or Dizzy Gillespie Perceptions. 

For Mingus Ah Um you might be better off getting the SACD remaster or DSD download.  Unless you specifically want something sounding like a tape transfer. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

11 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

How good is the SACD of Ah Um??  (compared to the Redbook CD)

I have no ideal, but vinyl reissue done by ORG was very good, hard to get one already. I just looking for the best source available for these albums.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

20 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

How good is the SACD of Ah Um??  (compared to the Redbook CD)

I have the DSD download. It's "DSD file created by Gus Skinas from the original Sony Super Audio CD cutting masters ".  The SACD remaster is credited Columbia/Mark Wilder, which is owned by Sony. I don't know if it is the same mastering or not. I think this means it isn't. 

Sounds better than my CD to me.  My general experience is the direct from Sony vault DSD masters tend to be good quality. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)