IGNORED

Amazon Echo Input Digital Output?

The Computer Audiophile

Question

Does the Amazon Echo Input support digital audio output via mini Toslink 3.5mm jack or is it analog only?

I've looked for a definitive answer and can't find one. Given that this is a competitor to the Chromecast Audio devices in a sense, one would think an optical output would be provided.

https://www.amazon.com/Echo-Input-Bring-Alexa-speaker/dp/B07BFRHZLB/

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

13 answers to this question

18 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Does the Amazon Echo Input support digital audio output via mini Toslink 3.5mm jack or is it analog only?

Analog out only via 3.5mm stereo audio jack.  Found out the hard way.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

23 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

What’s the hard way?

LOL!   Ordered a digital cable without even thinking. 

Tried connecting my Echo Dot to my bedroom stereo and realized that I had to use an old 3.5 mm to 2 RCA cable.

But I realize you're talking about the new Echo Input which looks to have the same configuration.

ei-tech-specs-1000x407._CB483409718_.jpg

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

On 9/25/2018 at 2:37 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

According to this link on Amazon, "Echo devices only provide audio output to other speakers", which would indicate analog only. Amazon Device Support.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Many speakers have digital inputs.

True, but given that the statement from Amazon is a general one, it is unlikely that it was intended to apply to digital speakers.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I don't think the Link is actually the answer to get digital audio out from an Echo-based device, but I may be misunderstanding.  The Link definitely does have an optical out, but it has no microphone right?  Do you still have to hook up a Dot (or equivalent).  Therefore, when you ask Alexa to play music, isn't it still being sent from the Echo to the Link, then to an optical out?  If so, that would mean the Link is converting Analog to Digital, and then sending it, which can be achieved using a $12.99 device from Amazon.  I don't want Echo's analog signal that's gone through its own crappy DAC.  I want a pure digital signal that my receiver can then process.

Please confirm that my understanding is correct, or correct it.  I may have another answer to this - the Fire TV 4k cube.  That now appears to have an Alexa microphone, and HDMI out...which would be a digital signal being sent out - while I wouldn't want it for any of the TV-related services, it could serve the purpose required by myself and OP.  Right?  Or no?

I have an echo link.  I am "sure" that the audio comes over the network from Amazon direct to the Link device.  Not from the device you are talking to.  

I have also set up a Chromecast, and an HDMI Audio splitter and the sound from that seems better than from the Echo Link.  Not sure yet. I also like the flexibility of what I can do with the Chromecast better.