IGNORED

cheap/chinese LPSU's - minefield?

Ok here is this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Assembled-S11-SUPER-linear-regulated-power-supply-board-LPS-PSU/111820643468?hash=item1a09079c8c:g:lNIAAOSw14xWQXTH

Best I can tell this is a specific vendor, and very upfront about what it is: indeed claims to be the sigma11 PCB design -- which would be copyrighted-- this is not a full supply. They state its "open source" etc, so ...??

The supplies that I have, are not this, don't resemble on the inside -- though the circuits may be similar. The discussion that I had with @look&listen was not about this product.

None of the links that I've posted appear to be direct sigma 11 copies nor do they claim to be.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

24 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Yeah and your particular vendor has serious QA issues ... 

So, mine work great. Maybe you lucky, or maybe not look hard enough?

Zerozone unit has exact PCB revision as old 65VA unit, but 1 big (filter)cap replace 9 old ones. Another 'variant'!

Other unit like 100VA unit, but grounded r-core shield & thin output wires (QA?)

26 minutes ago, jabbr said:

without having to repair each one before use ?

Maybe too much time spent in Troll thread make you nasty today?  :S

26 minutes ago, jabbr said:

they have 4 small transistors, 2 larger transistors and a bunch of caps...

4 TO-220 diodes (often Ultra Fast Recovery)

37 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Ok look, let's be very clear: I haven't seen one marketed as "Sigma 11", nor is there anything on ebay labeled "Sigma 11". can you provide a link?

Ok, sigh,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Assembled-S11-SUPER-linear-regulated-power-supply-board-LPS-PSU/111820643468?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Low-Noise-S12-Super-regulated-linear-power-supply-board-5-30V-LPS-10000uF-/263610893782?oid=132048787951

No not "Sigma 11', but "S11" and variants

@jabbr, please sign off computer, walk away, get relaxing food, drink, & Sunday evening activities. Maybe listen to music for fun!  Wash toxic troll shit out of mind (for while) 9_9

2 minutes ago, barrows said:

@jabbr,  The above quote suggests to me that these companies are marketing the product as "sigma11", I am reading this wrong?

There appears to be a board (not an assembled PSU) branded "ZeroZone" and listed by an ebay vendor which does claim to the "Sigma 11" ... fair enough

There are a whole bunch of other boards which don't claim to be "Sigma 11" but are discrete zener diode, MOSFET pass transistor based PSUs ... some of which I have, and these have R-core transformers ... again, the photos of the PCBs are not direct copies of the Sigma11 nor are they marketed as S11 or Sigma 11. 

I don't own a direct Sigma 11 copy, nor have ever posted a link to one. So I wouldn't say "companies" ?‍♂️

In some cases they give testing details and might claim 10 microvolt noise etc.

2 minutes ago, barrows said:

Sonore designs and builds are own products.  John Swenson does our high speed PCB design and I do the power supply design (schematic/protos) and internal layout, and we use a sub contractor to layout the power supply boards.  We also use a small processor daughter board from a third party supplier, which mounts to the main board, as developing this ourselves, while possible, would add no benefit to our products, but would raise the price due to the development time involved.  

Hey no problem ... I'm just suggesting that your circuit will resemble another board with iMX-6 processor -- yes, the processor SOM is an excellent approach -- and your "custom OS" is a custom Linux distribution (the kernel is of course open-source Linux). My point is that design patterns are shared in the industry and there are many circuit and software similarities. I'm a big fan of open source and also sensitive to people stealing IP, and the board labelled "S11" seems to do that. The others might just use a similar circuit/design pattern.

3 hours ago, barrows said:

No, I ride in the backcountry two to three days a week and this requires constant evaluation of the snowpack, weather, etc.  And of course in the event of an accident, I become the rescuer (or the victim, as the case may be) it is up to the individuals of the team to self rescue, waiting for outside rescue in avalanche burial = body recovery.

Sorry for the OT folks, back to your usual programming!

avy.jpg

CL.AVY.BW.jpg

thanks for that, greatly appreciated, great picture! I used to help people before I was disabled myself. OK, back to topic (please).

four hours ago I posted this:

"So, if I get something like this and a well informed person on here says that some components are not that good! ...couldn't I simply replace the low quality items with things like: Mundorf caps, schottky diodes/rectifiers, metal film resistors etc?   (to upgrade the device to a better standard)? "

s-l1600.jpg

ON topic to my original question in my thread, but unfortunately @jabbr & @barrows decided to have a little argument, and as a consequence my question seems to be overlooked! I don't mind their discussion, quite interesting actually! But I wouldn't mind some help also please.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

First I stand corrected @barrows -- there are chinese PSUs being marketed as "sigma 11" (s11 is close enough in my book) and they advertise using the S11 pcb design so that's explicit and blatant -- I agree that those shouldn't be bought.

Second, in order to "upgrade" you need the schematic. What I like about these are that they include the case and r-core so you'd have to figure that out. I guess you could start replacing parts but better to just buy a board from amb.org and parts and build it from scratch, and that way you know what you are getting. You still need a case and transformer so you could start with the PSU and upgrade the entire board.

thank you, couldn't I do the same with the 4 way unit I suggested? "this"   or is one tranny bad with 4 boards, for some reason?

s-l1600.jpg

1 minute ago, the_doc735 said:

thank you, couldn't I do the same with the 4 way unit I suggested? "this"   or is one tranny bad with 4 boards, for some reason?

s-l1600.jpg

We’ve had a lot of confusion by discussing products we aren’t familiar with and I’m not going to comment on anything I haven’t used. I’ve posted links  — if you want something else, eBay and Alibaba are wide open to you.

5 hours ago, mourip said:

I just put my MC200CM's back into my system. I am running the "clean" side from a 5V LPS and the other side from the standard SMPS brick. Works great on 5v.

this is what I thought too!   ...until the experts pointed out that electric metal power cables don't understand humans one way street concept i.e everything progresses forward! Cables don't understand that idea! The interference from your wall warts can be blocked from going forward with a variety of methods inc. optic fiber cable setups. "BUT!" ~ the interference travels BACKWARDS into the AC field (in your house) and finds its way to your other hifi components mains inputs and inevitably corrupts those as well! So, the point behind the LPSU is not only to help the component it is directly attached to, BUT to help the rest of your system by not corrupting it with noise from your wall warts spewing switching noise BACK into your power network as well. Depends on how far you want to take the perfect system concept?

Just got this reply: "hello, max ripple is about 25uV, regards."

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192527403829?ul_noapp=true

s-l1600.jpg

'THIS' could be good for my mobo power (CPU 12v ATX 12v/5v/3.3v)

650426123_ArebuiltSinglePC3.thumb.jpg.b0a8fd9a49d8ae30fd9c293ae6121949.jpg

...unless, that is, any knowledgeable person stops me BEFORE it's too late? i.e. any reason not to use this for my PLAYER PC?

For anyone interested: (not usually required)....

The −12 V supply was primarily used to provide the negative supply voltage for RS-232 ports and is also used by one pin on conventional PCI slots primarily to provide a reference voltage for some models of sound cards.

Formerly −5 V (     white wire), absent in modern power supplies; it was optional in ATX and ATX12V v1.2 and deleted since v1.3. A −5 V output was originally required because it was supplied on the ISA bus; it was removed in later versions of the ATX standard, as it became obsolete with the removal of the ISA bus expansion slots (the ISA bus itself is still found in any computer which is compatible with the old IBM PC specification.

PS_ON (power on) is a signal from the motherboard to the power supply. When the line is connected to ground (by the motherboard), the power supply turns on. It is internally pulled up to +5 V inside the power supply. A control signal that is pulled up to +5 V by the PSU and must be driven low to turn on the PSU.

PG - PWR_OK ("power good") is an output from the power supply that indicates that its output has stabilized and is ready for use. It remains low for a brief time (100–500 ms) after the PS_ON# signal is pulled low. A control signal that is low when other outputs have not yet reached, or are about to leave, correct voltages.

The +5 VSB supply is used to produce trickle power to provide the soft-power feature of ATX when a PC is turned off, as well as powering the real-time clock to conserve the charge of the CMOS battery. +5 VSB (+5 V standby) supplies power even when the rest of the supply wire lines are off. This can be used to power the circuitry that controls the power-on signal. 

3 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

max ripple is about 25uV

This sounds too good to be true.  How is this measured?  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

42 minutes ago, the_doc735 said:

I have know idea, please write and ask them as that wasn't explained to me.

Cheers!

I'll leave  it to you to pursue if you think it's warranted.  I don't plan to buy these products.  Maybe some of the other contributors to this thread can comment on whether the design could reasonably be expected to deliver max ripple of 25uV.  Is my skepticism misguided?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

6 minutes ago, rickca said:

I'll leave  it to you to pursue if you think it's warranted.  I don't plan to buy these products.  Maybe some of the other contributors to this thread can comment on whether the design could reasonably be expected to deliver max ripple of 25uV.

OK, I may try to dig out their test procedure to determine how they arrive at that figure. Thanks for the suggested question!

17 minutes ago, rickca said:

I'll leave  it to you to pursue if you think it's warranted.  I don't plan to buy these products.  Maybe some of the other contributors to this thread can comment on whether the design could reasonably be expected to deliver max ripple of 25uV.

It is achievable using this quoted technology :

Using precision voltage reference + high speed op amp + MOS output power Transistor

Whether it is or not is a different matter, and may be from the specifications quoted for a design based on this topology.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

5 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Whether it is or not is a different matter, and may be from the specifications quoted for a design based on this topology.

OK that's why I'm asking if this is an actual measurement.  Thanks.