IGNORED

Best Clock Radios ??

Ralf11

I had a gorgeous low-slung stainless steel (or perhaps aluminum?  Not sure which metal now, through the fog of memory haha) Panasonic stereo clock radio with CD player back in the early '90s.  I bought it because I hated normal alarm clocks, and this unit could wake you with a selected CD track.  I don't know if it was the first unit with that feature or not, but it was the first one I ever saw.  Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of it, and haven't found it in any internet searches.  Pretty sure I purchased it at a Sharper Image store.  Remember those?

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

Ruark Radios from the UK are very good, much like the Tivoli, they are compact and produce a controlled bass than Bose could never doctor.

I have two of the R1, an R2 in the kitchen, and an R4 in the bedroom, all work flawlessly. Using the iphone & Roon via bluetooth connection, there's instant music 'on stream'.

image.thumb.png.089bb4da49ccf266b9ecfdd3726cec35.pngR1

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

13 hours ago, TubeLover said:

The Tivoli clock radios are about the best I know of, currently:

https://www.tivoliaudio.com/shop/clock-radios/

JC

I have 3 Tivoli units (none are clock radios; 2 are portable).  One of the last designs by Henry Kloss, and with a long-throw woofer.  Lack of digital tuning with push buttons is one drawback (my small town has 4 public radio stations).

The Ruark also looks good, and I've seen the Sangean/Music Hall units.

Note that all of these brands sound pretty good for what they are, look good and have good ergonomics...

13 hours ago, One and a half said:

Ruark Radios from the UK are very good, much like the Tivoli, they are compact and produce a controlled bass than Bose could never doctor.

I have two of the R1, an R2 in the kitchen, and an R4 in the bedroom, all work flawlessly. Using the iphone & Roon via bluetooth connection, there's instant music 'on stream'.

image.thumb.png.089bb4da49ccf266b9ecfdd3726cec35.pngR1

They also make a table which plays music.

(I owned their speakers long, long time ago. They weren't bad but their main problem was they had as much bass as an average clock radio) :D

hero-r7-mk3-xxxlarge-1x.jpg

17 hours ago, One and a half said:

The 1960's radiograms certainly had some style about them.

2018-09-23_11-40-09.jpg

That's a really nice one!  ("consoles" in US Anglais).  I repurposed a simpler looking Magnavox in Walnut that my parents had in the '60s.  I removed the "Vibrasonic" dial but kept it...

We also had a clock radio that drifted over time. Replaced it with an Echo Spot. Love it. Bonus, we can control lamps and the ceiling fan by voice. Could also control the tv with a Harmony Hub but it isn't worth the expense.

Sound quality was not a consideration for us, but it's not bad compared to a typical clock radio and a lot better than our old one. If better sound quality is a requirement, it can connect to a bluetooth speaker or a powered speaker via 3.5mm jack.

Okay, this is not a clock and not an AM/FM radio, but the Vifa Helsinki is the beast darn portable speaker I have ever owned (3.5mm stereo jack and Bluetooth).  I know it looks like a purse and is not cheap, but we take it on every vacation trip and to small house parties and people are always shocked by how full and natural it sounds.  You can check many comparative reviews as well.

https://www.vifa.dk/products-not-menu/helsinki/

Helsinki-Lautsprecher-willow-green-Ambientebild-1.thumb.jpg.80331aaf418af8a683527ae36231c9c8.jpg

It really is a quality piece--bested only by its larger and more expensive siblings. B|

• 2 years later...
On 2/4/2021 at 5:18 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’d love this one :~)

B511DED3-E772-4D75-AB32-535EB1EE7311.jpeg

As a kid I had a Panasonic (or was it Sankyo or Sanyo) version of a leaf roller clock radio like that ELAC.  Loved that thing. What I especially liked was the soothing sound of the leaves dropping as each minute would flip to the next. 50 years later my brain can still recall that sound.