IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

Chris, I feel so bad that you had to go through that ambush by yourself.  But, I know that most feel you were the true gentleman present!  I was the one that arrived one seminar earlier so as to be guaranteed a seat (wish more could have been there).  You were the real professional, I just wished there could have been more of the reverse engineering genius' present to help.  I know that was not part of the scope of the seminar.

As to those that think we should support manufacturers that do incorporate MQA, well that is their prerogative to do so, it is also mine not to support them with my dollars.  I will be purchasing a new DAC soon and I quarantee it will not have MQA!

Alan B

Just now, Derek Hughes said:

So Chris, here’s where your site fails on this subject. Brinkman Ship says I should be ashamed and I know that if I engaged in a debate with him or others I would receive a shit storm. 

Shit storm? Not necessarily, Derek. In which way and at what point do you think Chris characterised MQA in an unfair way?

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

1 minute ago, austinpop said:

Glad you liked the Constellation/Rockport room. And great to meet you, @barrows

I was thinking of posting a day 3 report, but it looks like this has now become an MQA thread.

A 3-day report sounds interesting @austinpop. Certainly deserves its own thread if not a front page article with pictures!

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Chris was undoubtedly not antagonistic toward MQA, but compared to those with microphones in hand in the audience that worked for MQA at the highest levels, did anyone expect their version to be balanced and impartial?  Really?  That was who was in the room complaining and making a big stink about an anonymous person providing accurate and reproducible technical information.   How could anyone possibly expect any resemblance of fairness or objectivity when outnumbered by a team that needs to tear down any controversy to succeed.

34 minutes ago, Derek Hughes said:

I was in the audience and did interrupt and made some negative comments. In my opinion, despite Chris stating that he was going to be impartial, his presentation was anything but. 

In other words, you make no apology for being a rude jerk and repeatedly interrupting when you knew there was a time constraint and Chris had prepared a presentation for that allotted time?

You, Jbara, Forsythe, and Scoggins eh?

Brilliant, bravo, well done, you've served the brand well.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

19 minutes ago, Sonicularity said:

Chris was undoubtedly not antagonistic toward MQA, but compared to those with microphones in hand in the audience that worked for MQA at the highest levels, did anyone expect their version to be balanced and impartial?  Really?

No, definitely not, their BS went right on script as expected.

19 minutes ago, Sonicularity said:

That was who was in the room complaining and making a big stink about an anonymous person providing accurate and reproducible technical information.

In other words nothing new, no actual facing of facts or providing answers to long standing tough questions. Instead it was more of the fixation on attacking the messenger and suggesting that someone anonymous can't possibly be more believable than Bob Stuart, as if that were ever some kind of brilliantly played clever deflect succeeding in changing the narrative from the many things MQA are obviously uncomfortable with.

Try again, that did not and has never worked, and someone anonymous is very much more believable than Bob Stuart, who has already changed his story and attempted to move the goal posts several times in 3 years.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

34 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I asked exactly that question of Mike - does he and the labels view success of MQA as a future where MQA is the only high-res content purchasable? Because for many of us the fear is that our choice - of buying non-MQA hi-res PCM or DSD content - will be taken away.

He vehemently argued no. His argument was that they (MQA) do not have exclusive agreements with labels, nor would labels find that prudent business.

So then why are the labels doing MQA?  For those who think it sounds better?

I'm a lot more interested in your Day 3 report than in any further discussion about Chris's MQA session.  I think what needs to be said about it has now been said.  It is unfortunate but predictable that MQA supporters challenged the presentation in a manner that derailed it.  Chris wanted to be accommodating but it wasn't a mutual respect type of situation.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

3 minutes ago, Derek Hughes said:

Brinkman Ship, I’m not a victim. I have no intention on engaging with you and others on MQA or Chris’s presentation. I made my points in the room. 

...yeh, ok. Then why bother joining? State your case..if not, then stop making accusations. You will be surprised how well you will be treated when you have facts and logic to back up your position,

1 hour ago, barrows said:

there are a lot of customers out there who will not purchase a new DAC if it does not support MQA

Is there real evidence of this aside from anecdotal accounts?   I mean end user demand, not phone calls from distributors and dealers who have been lobbied by MQA business development people.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

3 minutes ago, rickca said:

Is there real evidence of this aside from anecdotal accounts?   I mean end user demand, not phone calls from distributors and dealers who have been lobbied by MQA business development people.

no there is not....we need to get real..there are 100K Tidal HiFi subs..virtually the ONLY place MQA is available...so yet again BS takes center stage.

Just now, Brinkman Ship said:

no there is not....

Well, let's give @barrows a chance to back up what he claims.

8 minutes ago, rickca said:

Only anecdotal - but I did speak with several DAC vendors at RMAF who said they were implementing MQA support due to customer demand, despite their own ambivalence with the format.

FWIW.

Just now, austinpop said:

Only anecdotal - but I did speak with several DAC vendors at RMAF who said they were implementing MQA support due to customer demand, despite their own ambivalence with the format.

FWIW.

Care to list them?

Then I can add these gutless wonders to my Do Not Buy List. I have no patience for the weak spined in this industry.