IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

50 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

@The Computer Audiophile, well done man. Unfair to be alone behind that desk.

+1 on that. Great effort Chris and nothing short of bloody rude by the MQA gang!

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

1 hour ago, MikeyFresh said:

Well said and I was thinking the very same thing.

This is why companies hire certain types of people to do their trade show representation, it's called PR, and endearing ones self to prospective customers and in this case it was yet another botch job by the MQA folks. Epic fail among many others previously.

Did they really think anyone would come away sympathetic, better informed, or in any way convinced of MQA's efficacy based on that angry, constantly interrupting, combative performance?

Yet another nail in the coffin for MQA, in my view they looked and acted desperate, not confident at all. I agree with an above post that this is exactly more of the same, failure to answer the questions or face the facts, in favor of attack the messenger. Poorly played to say the least, not professional from any sales & marketing or PR standpoint. Rather pathetic actually.

@The Computer Audiophile need not worry about how that went, devising and sticking to a given format that suited all was going to be nigh on impossible anyway. However a good faith attempt was there by Chris and unfortunately it got fully sidetracked/highjacked by a bunch of angry old men with nothing of substance to add to the discussion. 

And they think that's going to be even the least bit consumer friendly? I guess they've never read the Dale Carnegie book on how to win friends and influence people.

I absolutely reaffirm my commitment to not buying ANYTHING from any MQA partner, nothing. Yes, I assign guilt by association, I vote with my consumer purchasing power and urge others to do the same, that group needs to be punished, let the market speak loudly.

....in fact, the savage, as i have been proudly dubbed, will re-double his efforts to destroy MQA's credibility with the facts at hand..because that is all you need. Clearly the company employs low lifes who have no use for the truth and can't prove their "product" has any value what so ever with actual facts.

37 minutes ago, barrows said:

While I agree with this sentiment, and I certainly oppose MQA generally, boycotting of manufacturers which do allow for MQA functionality will not achieve the result you desire and most certainly will damage manufacturers who are trying very hard to produce the best possible products.

Please understand the pressure which customers are exerting on manufacturers: there are a lot of customers out there who will not purchase a new DAC if it does not support MQA.  Many manufacturers are anti MQA themselves, believe me, at the same time, very few, if any, manufacturers can afford to offend even a single potential customer and there are many, many (albeit less well informed than us) customers out there who are buying products and demanding MQA.  Many of these manufacturers, even making excellent products offering good performance and value, are hanging on to economic validity by a thread.  As long as a manufacturer allows for the MQA filter to be defeated, there is no disadvantage to them including MQA compatibility.

To oppose MQA, demand genuine, non-MQA, non compressed, high resolution, content from the content providers.  That is where  the real battle lies, as if MQA gains a strong hold with content providers, it may well do so at the exclusion of being able to purchase un-adulterated high resolution of our favorite musics.  Whether it be download, disc, or streamed, demand non MQA content.

"Please understand the pressure which customers are exerting on manufacturers: there are a lot of customers out there who will not purchase a new DAC if it does not support MQA"

...and who created this pressure? We KNOW who.

Sometimes NOT giving customers what they "want" is good business and serves the greater good.

50 minutes ago, barrows said:

if MQA gains a strong hold with content providers, it may well do so at the exclusion of being able to purchase un-adulterated high resolution of our favorite musics.  Whether it be download, disc, or streamed, demand non MQA content.

That should be the only valid reason for demanding the inclusion of MQA support with a new DAC.

The fear that the record companies will sometime in the future stop releasing genuine high res material from their vaults to consumers.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

4 minutes ago, Derek Hughes said:

I was in the audience and did interrupt and made some negative comments. In my opinion, despite Chris stating that he was going to be impartial, his presentation was anything but. 

DRM is a real threat, and only because the owners of the format that could stand to make the most from implementing a DRM scheme shout that they won't do it doesn't give consumers much confidence when it has been demonstrated that it is potentially easy to activate.  If MQA becomes more pervasive throughout the industry, the consequence of adding DRM is more likely.  At present, it would be ridiculous to open that can of worms as it would be a disaster for the brand.   The truth, as we understand it today, has been bullied about with PR and marketing techniques.