IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

32 minutes ago, FredericV said:

MQA time domain for dummies: the non-periodic sound test ;)

out.gif

I prefer the term aperiodic, personally.  Or is non-periodic one of those moving MQA terms, like blur, which only means what you think it means if you agree with them on MQA "solving" it? :D

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

12 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I know the company is struggling but hiring lunatics like this reflects poorly on the brand.

Sometimes a bad reflection is merely an accurate image, rather than a faulty mirror.

19 minutes ago, Derek Hughes said:

Were you there? Chris did not state that he wanted to leave questions to the end. I worked at Intel for over 20 years, if you think that was rude you have no idea.

Are you still calling me a liar? 

Chris said "We'll come back to questions," and you immediately barreled in again, interrupting him.  Watch from 13:25 or so.  Isn't that you, rudely interrupting Chris?

3 hours ago, wgscott said:

Which, legally speaking, is not the same thing as saying something is unlawful.

The first hurdle would be to prove the reverse-engineering (which itself might not be legal) accurately reveals the MQA contents. It is a high bar.

As far as I'm aware, this is still in effect:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act

"The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is a 1998 United States copyright law that implements two 1996 treaties of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). It criminalizes production and dissemination of technology, devices, or services intended to circumvent measures that control access to copyrighted works (commonly known as digital rights management or DRM). It also criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control, whether or not there is actual infringement of copyright itself."

However, it's convenient here that MQA's principals and reps and shills all deny that it is DRM in any sense of the term, so the best defense if the DMCA were to be invoked against someone for reverse engineering would be to use those very denials of DRM against them.  lol

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes, as you know sound quality has little to do with illuminating an MQA light. A track that’s already ruined will light up the MQA light. Thus, your comments about that light equating to good sound are completely incorrect. 

All that "research," is it really possible that he has no clue what you're talking about?  The results of tests done by members here have been discussed on a number of other sites.  ?  And wasn't it in your slideshow, as well?  Perhaps if he'd been paying attention, instead of heckling and brown-nosing his masters....

4 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I'm inclined to agree with the 24/96 comment based on the marginal SQ increase of SACDs over Redbook.

BTW, Stereopile has an article out now on how well MQA does over a 3G network (!!)  - maybe they have not heard of 5G?

They must be slumming, like when that guy wrote about using the Sony PS1 as an audiophile CD player.  Surely no one who can afford the equipment they tout would be using 3G still.  I think even TracFone uses 4G.  lol

8 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

..at least Chris's wife did not sell ads for 20 years...which your wife did for Strereophile as you were editor...

Even if true (I didn't know if he was married or not, nor did I ever care as a subscriber or otherwise lol), there is often a firmer "Chinese wall" between married people than between coworkers, so that may not be bad in itself, except for an appearance of impropriety!

13 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

..at least Chris's wife did not sell ads for 20 years...which your wife did for Strereophile as you were editor...

3 minutes ago, esldude said:

I'm not sure I see a problem with this assuming it is true.

The idea would be that there should be a "Chinese wall" between the editorial and advertising sides of a magazine to prevent any conflicts of interest or appearance of impropriety.  (To prevent accusations or suspicions of "bought" reviews:  "Here is your glowing review in exchange for your lovely new ad!")

14 minutes ago, Hugo9000 said:

Even if true (I didn't know if he was married or not, nor did I ever care as a subscriber or otherwise lol), there is often a firmer "Chinese wall" between married people than between coworkers, so that may not be bad in itself, except for an appearance of impropriety!

16 minutes ago, esldude said:

I'm not sure I see a problem with this assuming it is true.

10 minutes ago, Hugo9000 said:

The idea would be that there should be a "Chinese wall" between the editorial and advertising sides of a magazine to prevent any conflicts of interest or appearance of impropriety.  (To prevent accusations or suspicions of "bought" reviews:  "Here is your glowing review in exchange for your lovely new ad!")

3 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

My wife was Audio magazine's top salesperson when we first met and strongly believed in the idea of the Chinese Wall. We never discussed specific advertising or editorial matters all the time until she retired in anything other than the past tense. For example, "Your Velodyne review just lost the magazine $50,000 worth of advertising"  -

see https://www.stereophile.com/content/velodyne-df-661-loudspeaker

- to which I responded "Cheap at twice the price!"

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

I wasn't suggesting otherwise, as you can see in my first post on the matter, where I just highlighted the significant portion above!  Of course, it was a joke about married couples who don't communicate, but the jokes that get the best laughs are rooted in truth, aren't they?  If not, nevermind, as I'm more into drama and romance than comedy, so I very well may be wrong on what's funny.

22 minutes ago, lucretius said:

A Chinese Wall seems unreasonable.  JA would have to refrain from picking up Stereophile for fear of discovering the advertisers and he'd have to refrain from talking to folks in the industry for fear they may be advertisers, and he'd have to refrain from talking to subscribers and "audiophiles", etc. This is absurd.

JA himself has discussed it, which is why I mentioned it.  I've never heard of anyone meaning it as literally as you're taking it.  Basically, the idea is that he won't discuss advertising with manufacturers, as that isn't his department.  Manufacturers or other advertisers such as equipment dealers, likewise, are expected not to talk about advertising with the magazine or not in relation to product availability for reviews, loans, pricing accommodations, or anything along those lines.  Anyway, he can chime in if he wants.  I think it's a common enough concept with magazines or television programs that have to balance editorial content with selling advertising.  It's not a legal concept, rather an editorial policy that is adopted (or not) by choice.  Obviously, there are those out there that are shameless with quid pro quo, and it normally comes out eventually to readers or viewers.

Edited to add:

On the internet, there are things like third-party ad brokers as Mansr mentioned, which can avoid the issues of possible bias.  Or, one could seek companies like Rolex or other upscale products to see if they are interested in advertising in a HiFi magazine or on its website.  How many audiophiles play golf, or are interested in photography, or other hobbies that have expensive gear?  A bit of research, and the right ad sales reps, and it might be feasible to carry zero ads directly related to audio, since the old model of subscriptions paying the full cost of running a magazine doesn't seem to work any longer.

Although, even then, there is always a possibility that a manufacturer will simply pay in some way other than advertising in order to get a positive review.  And, of course, the possibility that some readers will suspect such shenanigans whether or not it actually occurs.  So it all comes down to whether readers trust the editors and writers, no matter what the magazine's (or website's) stance may be on advertising.

34 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Correct.  It is very easy to implement.   IT is a policy, but one that is taught in the ethics classes at all Schools of Journalism.  And, AFAIK, all journalism majors are required to take an ethics class.

But Stereopile and the other industry organs that masquerade as consumer magazines are not journalism

I suppose I'd call them "professional fanzines" or something like that, or "hobbyist magazines."  Do any of these specialty magazines even claim to be consumer-oriented or consumer advocates or similar, other than Consumer Reports or Cook's Illustrated?  Informative writing is nice, as is entertaining writing, and I don't think anyone should feel denigrated for being referred to as an entertainment writer rather than a journalist.  That's not how I personally mean it, anyway.

However one looks at it, I would expect honesty and integrity or I wouldn't bother reading or subscribing, whether it was a fanzine dedicated to Angelina Jolie with a readership of 113 people living in their mothers' basements, or some glossy and gorgeous magazine with millions of subscribers.  I wouldn't call most writers at newspapers these days journalists, I suppose, so I don't really worry about whether or not a writer at a hobbyist magazine is a Journalist-with-a-capital-J, but that's just me.

Edited to add:  I'm not implying anything about fans of Angelina Jolie, or anything against anyone who lives in a basement, so I hope no one will take it that way!  I like some of her films a lot myself, and my own mother has a lovely and spotlessly clean basement that would be preferable to some apartments I've rented in the past, although it smells just a touch musty, which is pretty much unavoidable where she lives, due to the water table, etc.