IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

18 hours ago, Brinkman Ship said:

"Please understand the pressure which customers are exerting on manufacturers: there are a lot of customers out there who will not purchase a new DAC if it does not support MQA"

...and who created this pressure? We KNOW who.

Sometimes NOT giving customers what they "want" is good business and serves the greater good.

Regardless of whether MQA is what it's creators claim or what its detractors assert, it is hard to imagine how losing sales because of lack of MQA compatibility can be good for a manufacturer's business.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

15 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

Tell that to Bryston, Schiit, Linn, Benchmark, Playback Designs, Audio Research, Sonore (who recently stopped supporting MQA if I an not mistaken) Exogal, and many more.

I would expect that those companies do not accept the claims of MQA and made a business decision that the cost of including MQA compatibility exceeded the potential financial loss of potential sales. A perfectly reasonable approach. However, individual manufacturers should be allowed to make such decisions based on their particular situations and view of the market and not be the subject of proselytizing boycotts for doing so.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

4 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I think it's called Constructive Confrontation. ?

Very apt, and funny! :)

17 minutes ago, wgscott said:

If the tables were turned, would you want the conference organizers cutting off the microphones of MQA critics, Richard J Daily style (Chicago, 1968)?

Sorry for going off topic but, when a certain bloated blond bully who lives in a big white house goes off on one his rants, I often wish someone would cut off the microphones, Richard J. Daley style (Chicago, 1968). :)

10 minutes ago, wgscott said:

But they are not under her watch.  They are not employees of hers. They are conference participants... 

On a more practical matter, how in the world would she be expected to police every presentation?

More importantly, one doesn't need policing of presentations for attendees to know that rude, disruptive, unprofessional behaviour is unaccpetable.

1 hour ago, GeorgeFlush said:

A complete asshole is the one who insults others without a particular reason, not someone that is answering to trolls shitting on his work. There's a big difference between aggression and self defense.

Yes, there is a difference between aggression and self-defence. However, the concept of self-defence necessarily involves a reasonable response to the aggression. A response that exceeds those bounds negates the notion of self-defence and becomes aggression in itself.

5 hours ago, Hifi Bob said:

That’s odd, since providing customers with what they want doesn’t require justification.

It does when people are criticizing you for providing your customers with the crap they want instead of producing better quality product for the the ultimate consumer.

1 hour ago, esldude said:

I wonder where he got the information that early provided samples to reviewers had cross-talk cancellation in them?  That would be a rigged comparison.

Not unlike the practice of using different playback volumes in comparative demos of snakeoil products. Given the claims and the facts, some might even be tempted to include MQA in that category.

16 hours ago, jabbr said:

Hardly a general fact here on the internet where identifiers are called URIs. URIs are the names on the internet. Your traditional name means nothing to me because we don't interact in person. There's actually a whole technology around this ... you need to understand how this all works to understand what I'm talking about, but trust me a URI is far more important on the web than your traditional given and surname.

Here, read this: http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/

I'll partially deanonymise myself by telling you that I've been called part of the "RDF Cabal" ???

I know perfectly well what URL's are and I also know, as do you, that a URL doesn't identify a person. It would appear that your use of the term 'anonymous' differs from the commonly accepted meaning.

I would speculate that you have been called a lot worse. :)

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

A URI certainly might identify a person. I used the term "URI" instead of "URL" for precisely this reason.

"Might" is the operative word. So "might" an IP address. But it might just as well not do so.

Your understanding of the term "anonymous" may indeed be different from those people who have designed and who use the Web.

More generally "anonymous" means "without name"

Your use of  "pseudonym" is appropriate,  in which case...

I use terms according to their generally accepted meaning rather than their esoteric usage. But thank you for you generous, albeit unnecessary, concession. I am quite certain that nobody else had any doubt about what I meant in my reply concerning @John_Atkinson's use of the term. OTOH, some people apparently can't resist being pedantic. :)

3 hours ago, jabbr said:

I know all this technical jargon can get confusing.

Sorry to hear that you are confused, but stay the course and you will probably get over it.

On 10/22/2018 at 9:30 PM, Lee Scoggins said:

If you talk to label people, they realize that they need to pay the artist more and they feel they have to solve that problem.  They realize this is a huge problem that is not healthy for the industry.

Oh yes, the label people are really concerned about the huge problem of not paying artists enough! Because of its importance, they are urgently seeking the advice of Thomas Edison and Emile Berliner about how to solve it.