IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

15 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

You taking a stand against Chris and Computer Audiophile puts you in that category.

Please provide a link to where I have "taken a stand" against Chris Connaker and Computer Audiophile. Yes, I criticized the way Chris handled the MQA in the Middle presentation at RMAF because of the demands other CA posters made that Marjorie Baumert apologize to him. So what? I think you are confusing me with someone else.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

38 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

Yet you said you the below that you did honor it so you clearly didn't feel that strong about it.  Right?

Please don't put words in my mouth. I was asked to honor the preexisting agreement that Tom Gillett would continue to contribute to Stereophile using a pseudonym. I gave my word to Stereophile founder, J. Gordon Holt, and Stereophile's then-publisher, Larry Archibald, that I would do so. When Tom Gillett resigned at the end of 2014, that was the end of my commitment.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

7 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

You and [Stereophile] profit indirectly from MQA.

I don't profit from MQA personally, either directly or indirectly. But I assume that you referring to the fact that Stereophile accepts advertising from companies that feature MQA in their products. It is fair, therefore, to point out that Chris Connaker also accepts advertising from such companies.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

1 minute ago, Hugo9000 said:

The idea would be that there should be a "Chinese wall" between the editorial and advertising sides of a magazine to prevent any conflicts of interest or appearance of impropriety. 

My wife was Audio magazine's top salesperson when we first met and strongly believed in the idea of the Chinese Wall. We never discussed specific advertising or editorial matters all the time until she retired in anything other than the past tense. For example, "Your Velodyne review just lost the magazine $50,000 worth of advertising"  -

see https://www.stereophile.com/content/velodyne-df-661-loudspeaker

- to which I responded "Cheap at twice the price!"

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

6 hours ago, esldude said:

I wonder where he got the information that early provided samples to reviewers had cross-talk cancellation in them?

Perhaps he made it up. I have some of the original files that MQA provided reviewers in 2015, along with their PCM equivalents. When I have a  spare minute, I will take a look at the difference between the channels of both files, which should reveal any truth in Mr. Carver's assertion.

On the subject of crosstalk cancellation, see my review of the no-longer available BSG Signal Completion Stage and my comments on Blumlein Shuffling: https://www.stereophile.com/content/bsg-q248l-signal-completion-stage

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

7 hours ago, Currawong said:

Would you consider making the originals and MQA versions available to the public to listen to and examine?

Sorry, but no. The MQA versions were provided under the condition that I would not share them without permission. The originals you can purchase, of course. But as Chris Connaker appears to have the same files, perhaps he would be amenable to your request.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

1 hour ago, semente said:

free online viewers are numerous enough to justify advertising which is almost certainly the main source of income for the magazine.

That's how you thrive in the internet age.

That was the thrust of a presentation I gave to Stereophile's then-owner's senior management in 2005.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile