IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

11 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Our own Chris Connaker will lead this discussion Sunday afternoon at RMAF. Time get that list together of the cons, cost and claims made. 

From the RMAF site:

"MQA: The Truth Lies Somewhere in the Middle @ Marriott Aspen Amphitheater, Lobby Level

Oct 7, Sunday @ 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm

Speakers: Chris Connaker, Computer Audiophile

Since MQA launched in 2014 the technology has been loved by some and loathed by others. Like all contentious topics and technologies, there is a wide range of opinions about MQA that lie on a continuum. In this seminar Chris will leave the opinionated arguments behind and discuss the pros, cons, costs, and claims made about MQA. This session is meant to provide attendees with factual information they can use in their pursuits to increase their enjoyment of this wonderful hobby."

This entry has the date wrong, I think. Either that or the day is Fri.: https://www.audiofest.net/show-schedule/action~agenda/cat_ids~4/

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Archimago said:

But what are the desires of the Industry and at what point does advertising become so false that consumers have to literally dissociate their faith from traditional sources of (dis)information?

Excellent question, imo.

My own consumer question is: what important statements about MQA by Bob Stuart are most misleading, and what would be a more transparent and moderate way of making these statements in plain english as much as possible.

One thought I've had is to begin with a basic article like Crutchfield's ( https://www.crutchfield.com/learn/mqa-high-res-audio-breakthrough.html) and respond to it with more accurate claims and explanations.

One of the larger questions, like Archimago's, may be easier to address in time ( "the owl of minerva (wisdom) only takes flight at dusk")

Hopefully it will be fortuitous that this is the last session scheduled  ?, but my impression is that this could get ugly during Q+A, given the tensions that I think still exist.

OT, but for the record, Srajan Ebaen's Bio from 6moons:

:http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/srajan/1.html

"Philosophical beginnings. At eighteen and much to the chagrin of friends and relatives, this future scribe traveled to India to spend time in the ashram of the controversial mystic Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh who later became known simply as Osho. Osho gave him the name Dhyan Srajan which translates as 'creativity from meditation'. Srajan eventually abandoned his classical music studies to concentrate on these new pursuits. He emigrated to the US to become part of the Rajneeshpuram community in the high desert of Oregon. When that large-scale experiment ended and much of the community regrouped in the former Indian headquarters of Poona, he decided to stay in the US."

"Credits. For world view and spiritual perspective, grateful acknowledgements go to his root teacher Osho as well as the American-born Avatar Adi Da Samraj, British-born Maitreya Ishwara and modern-day teacher Nirmala."

This is a telling list. 

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/apr/07/cult-oregon-1980s-terror-netflix-documentary-wild-country

5 hours ago, Lee Scoggins said:

I notice that you keep making snide remarks but you don't actually present any arguments to my quotes.

Hi Lee! 

Well, Chris presented a pretty nifty power point, but I think I can answer all of your questions quite simply.

At first, MQA promised to be like this:

Remember those days? Ah, the first blush of a Next Big Thing! Pretty cool.

Then, as things proceeded, the message seemed to get more and more cryptic in some ways,  almost as if it came from another paradigm or an alien source:

1149902096_AOPTS1862U_Milky_UFO_Donuts_Mockup(2).thumb.jpg.9731705f863600367ad2cb0e0f52fb0b.jpg

But then began the Close Encounters:

We were getting milked!

And so, as a result, "Bovine Vendetta"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zums9sk1g5o&list=PL2D1AD01DD686A3F5

Hope that helps.  ?

15 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Fake news. The fact that you sign a human name means nothing here on the Internet. I don’t judge you by your name or website or the credentials you supply. That is or could all be fake. I judge based on the intelligence of your posts and the ability to respond to questions. I smell agenda — yours or who ever is programming you. 

6 minutes ago, Jud said:

I don’t think there’s an outside agenda being imposed.  Mr. Scoggins has knowledge and experience in the field of audio.  He’s simply formed an opinion on various matters connected with MQA that is more favorable than most folks here (including me) believe the available evidence warrants.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/author/leescoggins/

Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in the middle.   ?

Looks like we've officially hit the "chickenshit" phase of this thread ?. Yeah, some profs go for the "sadism thinly disguised as necessary discipline" approach to bleeding a paper.

So some folks here use English as a second or 3rd language. And some have more of a Joycean sensibility where others prefer a monochromatic minimalist style. No problemo.

If you can't tolerate someone's challenging prose, you could try constructive criticism, or ask the poster what he means, OR, in this case, ask me. I can usually (not always!)understand what rando is saying and I think he is sometimes unusually insightful. In the case of the above post, you could just highlight the word "childish" and get the drift, and a reasonable request to give J.A. a break every now and then. How hard is that to get?

As for this thread, maybe its title could exchange the word "muddle" for "middle". I'll stick with Chris C's powerpoint. Winkies all around! ?