IGNORED

Everything sounds the same

mansr

4 hours ago, kumakuma said:

Dating yourself, counsellor.

True,  but it nevertheless makes as much or more sense than the post to which it replied.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

30 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Sometimes different words, but often the same words, over and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, ad nauseam, ad infinitum!

Ah, if only you had fixed the things that bother you following Frank's advice, then you could remove the nauseum.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

9 hours ago, fas42 said:

That the digital waveform has characteristics that are meaningful in the analogue sense, say, the rise time of the transitions - and all the conductors in the link may have various types of non-random noise present; that this ultimately impacts the following analogue areas of the playback chain. Yes, this shouldn't happen, and yes, it means the implementation of the analogue is not as robust as it should be; what I do is to keep making things more "robust" until the sound stops changing when I do more - I've reached the point where it's sufficiently 'debugged'.

You are not saying a lot, cables with non random noise! Do you have any understanding of signal integrity in regard to digital signals...

3 hours ago, fas42 said:

Hmmm ...

Haven't you said you have an EE degree?  If so, how does all this baloney square with your education?  Did you make your living as an EE?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 hour ago, esldude said:

Haven't you said you have an EE degree?  If so, how does all this baloney square with your education?  Did you make your living as an EE?

IIRC, Frank is a S/W person.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

22 hours ago, jabbr said:

I’m clarifying because unfortunately “I2S” is used to describe the external LVDS between boxes. We got on this because someone suggested replacing USB with I2S and I assumed that meant the LVDS/external variant.

And sadly, John tells me the LVDS chips used in most of the DACs and DDCs that offer I2S over LVDS/HDMI are really poor and add substantial jitter.  There are better ones for a couple dollars more, but no-one seems to be using those.

Of course such would still not address the shortcoming of the master clocking being at the source end.  As noted, virtually nobody does that right either.

7 hours ago, jabbr said:

The content of his posts: the digital integrity of the transmitted characters and spelling of the words is very high! The meaning of the sentences and paragraphs is what is random — the words appear to be stochastically distributed. 

I’ve considered that he is a bot as one could likely derive an algorithm to construct his posts.

I had the same thought in the final sentence.  But a pretty good bot - his posts are not word salad, maybe a composed salad like a Nicoise??

19 minutes ago, Superdad said:

And sadly, John tells me the LVDS chips used in most of the DACs and DDCs that offer I2S over LVDS/HDMI are really poor and add substantial jitter.  There are better ones for a couple dollars more, but no-one seems to be using those.

Of course such would still not address the shortcoming of the master clocking being at the source end.  As noted, virtually nobody does that right either.

I'm puzzled about this problem with I2S not being able to have a clock at the DAC end, only the source end. I never come across it being a restriction, and I've read about GPIO based Raspberry Pi DACs having clocks at the DAC end. Are you sure that the DACs that use I2S over LVDS/HDMI all depend on clocks on the source side for timing?

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

4 minutes ago, Richard Dale said:

I'm puzzled about this problem with I2S not being able to have a clock at the DAC end, only the source end. I never come across it being a restriction, and I've read about GPIO based Raspberry Pi DACs having clocks at the DAC end. Are you sure that the DACs that use I2S over LVDS/HDMI all depend on clocks on the source side for timing?

Yes the Raspberry Pi does accept an external I2S master clock via the GPIO pins as documented: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/266295-raspberry-pi-external-i2s-master-clock-pcm_mclk.html

I2S is intended as chip to chip/board to board interface and so the master DAC clock can be sent into the RPi board via a GPIO pin. No problem.

The I2S over LVDS/HDMI interface is not standardized. Does, for example, the Pink Faun I2S PCIe card accept an external clock input? The DACs don't all use the same interface so the answer depends on the implementation. At least most implementations seem to be clocked on the source side.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

13 minutes ago, Richard Dale said:

Are you sure that the DACs that use I2S over LVDS/HDMI all depend on clocks on the source side for timing?

4 minutes ago, jabbr said:

The DACs don't all use the same interface so the answer depends on the implementation. At least most implementations seem to be clocked on the source side.

Exactly.  What is lacking are DACs with LVDS/HDMI inputs which sent their master clock out on that line to the source.  Of course that too can have issues (jittery clock edges with long cables), but at least that's a differential line.

Some DACs--such as the PSA DirectStream--are completely tossing out incoming (over I2S) clock anyway, so for those the issue is not as critical.

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

Ah! That's why his ramblings are so fishy. The tinned tuna will do it every time. :)

And don't forget the anchovies!

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

14 minutes ago, Allan F said:

And don't forget the anchovies!

I never would! It's too bad that we Americans can't generally get real Mediterranean anchovies the way the Italians and people from the Cote d'Azure pack them. They are so much better than the anchovies one generally applies to US pizzas. Which, while they are ok on a pizza are just too salty and fishy for use elsewhere.  In my experience, not all salad Nicoise have anchovies, but they all seem to have a local canned tuna, that again, tastes nothing like StarKist or Chicken-of-the-Sea.

The best anchovies I've ever tasted were fresh ones in a local restaurant in Cefalu on the north coast of Sicily. Fried in olive oil, they were so crisp and well seasoned that one just ate the whole thing! Delicious.

Speaking of pizza, southern Italy literally ruined me for pizza. There are so few pizzas that I can eat since I tasted a real one, that I don't eat it very often. New York and New Jersey have the best pizzas in the US (IMHO, I might add). Here in Reno, there are two Pizza places that make pizza that is close to real NY pizza and close to the real Neapolitan "Pizza Margarita" The New York style is called (very originally) "NY Pizza" and the Neapolitan style is from a chain called "Grimaldi's". Interesting because Grimaldi is the name of the Royal House of Monaco, which is in France, not Italy. Go Figure!   

George

14 hours ago, marce said:

You are not saying a lot, cables with non random noise! Do you have any understanding of signal integrity in regard to digital signals...

I said conductors, not cables  - there is a difference ... ^_^.

And, you keep confusing digital with analogue - perhaps you should check out some textbooks, :D.

14 hours ago, esldude said:

Okay, precisely define or point to one piece of "baloney" - and you get your reward of an answer ... George type handwaving not acceptable, :).

6 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Okay, precisely define or point to one piece of "baloney" - and you get your reward of an answer ... George type handwaving not acceptable, :).

Sorry, I'd like an answer to the question.  If you aren't an EE, then best approach for questioning some of your conclusions is different in my view.  

I'm not trying to determine the worth of your posting via your CV, simply wondering if you have the background for certain questions or not. 

I take it from a subsequent post by you, that you primarily work in software or hardware related to computers.