IGNORED

Mixing Headphones For Small Head?

Hi, I am 27 yr old male, about 5'7, but sadly I have a pretty small head. I've used earbuds for most of my life, but I've been looking for a solid pair of over-the-ear headphones for working with Logic Pro X to make remixes of songs and some original music too. I've gone through shure 1450, Beyerdynamic DT-770, and audio-technica m50x. All of them are too big for my head even at the smallest setting. I can feel the earcups pulling my ears down, and I have to like turn the headphones to where the headband is just above my forehead to prevent this. 

Anyway, whenever I try to google for this I always end up on, "headphones for petite women and kids" articles. It would be nice if you guys could give me some recommendations for legit mixing headphones that might fit me (or possibly a serious model headphone that comes in kid's size? Is that even a thing?).

Thanks,

FartyPop Jr.

better folding a washcloth between the headband and your head than settling on children's headphones.  HD600's for neutral mixing can't be beat at that price (in my opinion) unless you're mixing tons of sub-bass material.  They also have a nice tight clamp - too hard for some unless they're stretched.  

you'll need an amp to drive them however - dragonfly red would be my rec for a nice portable DAC / AMP unit.  

good luck man

• 1 month later...

Thanks dub. Sony MDR7506 wasn't on my radar, but I'll try to check them out somewhere. The price of just over $100 seems a bit sketch though. haha. Ironically, I kept the m50x's because they were so cheap that I didn't feel like returning them. lol. Sound quality is pretty nice too, and they are only slightly too big on the smallest setting.

• 4 months later...

Guess that's and outdated post, though I had a similar problem and my solution was Sennheiser HD-280. Fit pretty well for my small head (might be even too tight on smallest settings - I even begin to feel the physical pressure on my ears after long work, so I need to take them off to rest little ) but sound is quite good: it has very good and balanced sound and good bass response. Also the excellent isolation is a big plus. 

On 11/2/2018 at 2:01 AM, FartyPopJr said:

Ironically, I kept the m50x's because they were so cheap that I didn't feel like returning them. lol. Sound quality is pretty nice too, and they are only slightly too big on the smallest setting.

Well, if you really like them, there's always an easy fix - DIY headband :)