IGNORED

jRiver MC15, Windows 7 and WASAPI

Valvefan

Hi All,

I have had problems getting jRiver MC15 to work with WASAPI in Windows 7. My USB DAC is an Ayre QB-9. I was able to get ASIO4ALL working so I think there is no hardware issue. The files are on a NAS connected to the PC by cable. The NAS is mapped to the PC as a local drive.

Can anyone offer advice on configuring Win7 and MC15 to make WASAPI work?

Thanks

Valvefan

Download and install the Thesycon driver. It fixed all my problems with my QB-9.

www.ayre.com/Download/ThesyconUSBDvr1.18.zip

Auctioneer: How much do I hear?[br]Audience member: That\'s metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?[br] — The Firesign Theatre, [br] Don\'t Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Hi Chris,

I read your setup advice. Thanks. It was useful and confirmed the directions I followed from the Ayre QB-9 website.

Can you tell me more about the ThesylonUSB driver? I see that it is used in the Wavelength SPDIF-USB converter.

Is the use of the Thesylon driver similar to using ASIO4ALL in that it will appear in MC15 as an "audio device"? Is the potential for irreversible harm to my setup if I install the driver? (ie can it be uninstalled like any other software?)

Thanks

Valvefan

This is excerpted from an email that Charles Hansen sent me when we were troubleshooting some issues I was having with my QB-9. You might find it useful.

Please be aware that you cannot simply flip the DIP switch on the rear panel and expect instant results. That is one reason that we put it on the rear panel. When the switch is up ("Rsrv A"), the unit is placed in Class 1 Audio mode. When the switch is down (Rsrv B), the unit is placed in Class 2 Audio mode.

With Class 1 Audio mode, almost any computer with a USB port can be used. The connection operates in "Full Speed" mode, which is the fastest that a USB 1.1 port can operate. This is only 12 MHz, but is sufficient to handle audio transmission up to 96/24.

Class 1 Audio sends one audio packet every millisecond (1000 packets per second) and there is plenty of room to spare. Even with 96/24 only 576 bits are required per packet, while the system can handle 1023 bits.

Furthermore, with Class 1 Audio the standard USB device drivers that come with all recent operating systems (XP, Service Pack 2 and newer, or for Mac OS X 10.4 and newer) will work fine. There is no need to download any drivers.

With Class 2 Audio, everything changes. Now you are running the system at "High Speed" mode, which is 480 MHz or 40x faster than Class 1 Audio. As you might imagine, everything changes when you are dealing with those kinds of data rates. Everything has to be working perfectly for the system to work.

Starting with the operating system, a Mac will need to have at least 10.6.4 or newer. This is not even available on a disc. It requires the user to install the new Snow Leopard upgrade ($29) and then download an update for that operating system over the internet.

For a Windows user, NO version of Windows has the correct USB device drivers to handle Class 2 Audio, not even Windows 7. Therefore we purchased the rights to use the Thesycon driver for Windows. This driver will work with all versions of Windows starting with XP, Service Pack 2 and newer.

Turning to the computer itself, Class 2 Audio also requires USB 2.0 ports (and cables) on your computer. Instead of sending one packet every millisecond, Class 2 Audio sends "microframes" at a *much* higher rate. 480 MHz is about smack dab in the middle of the old UHF TV band, and there is not much room for error. In fact USB 2.0 ports from the first year or two of production are suspect and probably will not work as advertised. It took them a while to get the chipsets operating properly.

When you flip the DIP switch on the rear panel of the QB-9, you are trying to change between two completely different things. Class One Audio does not require the Thesycon driver. Class Two Audio won't operate without the Thesycon driver. This means that the QB-9 HAS to be re-booted everytime you flip that switch. By "re-booting", I mean unplugging the USB cable (at either end) for 10 seconds or so and then re-inserting it. This is the only way to get the operating system to recognize the new configuration. Otherwise you may as well be twiddling your thumbs.

When the Thesycon driver is installed, it places itself into the "Startup" section of your "Programs" menu. Every time you turn your computer on, it will run the Thesycon driver, placing a large, red, stylized "T" in the Toolbar.

You can double-click the "T" to open the Thesycon control panel. If there is a problem or if the switch is in "Rsrv A", the control panel will give the message "No Device Found". If the unit is operating properly, the Thesycon control panel will give a lot of information on the status of the device.

Since installing this driver, I have had no problems. I use Foobar, but I'm sure this will work with jRiver as well. I haven't tried ASIO, but don't feel the need as KS and WASAPI are both working fine.

I hope you are enjoying your QB-9 as much as I am. It has exceeded my expectations.

Auctioneer: How much do I hear?[br]Audience member: That\'s metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?[br] — The Firesign Theatre, [br] Don\'t Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers