IGNORED

Cow Music

19 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

BTW to make the previous post a little more on topic..

"The American Humane Association, an organization that protects animal rights, mistook a computer-generated cow in the movie for a real animal and demanded proof before they would allow the use of their famous disclaimer, "No animals were harmed in the making of this motion picture." After seeing a demonstration at Digital Domain of how the cow was created, the Humane Association added the now-familiar (but then much rarer) "Scenes which may appear to place an animal in jeopardy were simulated."

"...the first documented reference to yodeling in Europe was as early as 1545. But yodeling can be heard in Persian classical music, African Pygmy music, Scandinavian music, the Mexican son huasteco and other musical traditions. Such a range suggests it originated millennia ago and in an indeterminable place."  --- Daniel Sheehy, Director and Curator, Smithsonian Folkways Recordings

Upvote

ScentedFrailEmperorshrimp-size_restricte

Herding Song

I carve healing runes,

I carve protection runes,

once against the elves,

twice against the trolls,

thrice against the frost giants

Tulleri, lull

Is he still alive?

Far, far away in the forest

Why yes, he is

Why yes, he is

The little one is lying in his cradle

Take off your shoe and milk the cow

And give the little one something good to drink

I am busy, I cannot go out to pasture

I am going to the field to harrow

No, the wind blows and birches go

And the little one still sleeps so nicely

Yes, the weather blows and the birches go

I cannot lull the little one

Lu la, is he still alive?

Yes, yes, he is.

Lu la, is he still alive?

Yes, yes, he is.

Kaunan — Vallåt Featuring Einar Selvik & Maria Franz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Beef began its life as an intransitive verb in 1888 and soon took on the noun meaning in 1899 appearing in such expressions as "What's your beef? and "I had a beef with him" (not a steak).

Beef as verb [1888] Slang (originally U.S.): To complain, gripe, grumble, protest. Hence verbal noun ‘beefing.’ Earlier it meant to talk loudly or idly.

• 1888 “He'll beef an' kick like a steer an' let on he won't never wear 'em.”—New York World, 13 May

Beef as noun [1899] Slang (originally U.S.): A complaint, protest, grievance, gripe, objection, argument, a bone of contention.

• 1899 “He made a Horrible Beef because he couldn't get Loaf Sugar for his Coffee.”—Fables in Slang (1900) by George Ade, page 80

"As regards the etymology of beef, it seems to go back to the cry of hot beef! meaning ‘stop thief!’ (quasi-rhyming slang but more by coincidence than design, since it is far older than rhyming slang's first widespread use in the 1820s-30s); thus the 18th century cry hot beef, to raise a hue and cry. This became ‘to raise an alarm’ or ‘make a fuss’ - the presence of crime was now irrelevant - and thence ‘to shout’. The 'complain' use followed that. Then (both in the late 19th century) came ‘to argue’, ‘to give someone away to the authorities’, and so on."

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/336475/origin-of-the-slang-ame-and-bre-usage-of-beef#:~:text=Beef as verb [1888] Slang,to talk loudly or idly.&text=Beef as noun [1899] Slang,argument%2C a bone of contention.