IGNORED

RMAF 18

The new Dragonfire speakers sounded excellent. Its a wonky demo environment but if you can get the other music turned off and pick some good music, it’s worth the time. 

The speakers are essentially Audeze drivers and designed by the same guy who designs Audeze headphones. Not cheap, but what I heard was really compelling. 

091C1E3E-74BF-4F38-86BF-EFF62B5F538E.jpeg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Has anyone dropped by Innuos to compare the Statement with the SE and talk to Nuno?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The new Dragonfire speakers sounded excellent.

Any impressions on how they compare to the Wilson TuneTots?  Maybe too different to really compare?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

Another great speaker for pinpoint imaging was the Wilson Benesch Resolution. Excellent system and sound.

Very nice reporting, Rajiv.

Only pointing out that you misplaced the photo going with that text. 9_9

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

18 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

David Solomon was giving away one month trial subscriptions.

Do these trial subscriptions work on the USA Qobuz service which hasn't officially launched yet?

Nice seeing some folks at RMAF!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I only went to selected rooms, so I only heard some stuff, from what I did hear, the good (I do not report the bad, everybody with bad show sound gets a pass with me as it is really hard to get good sound and it is unwise to dismiss manufacturers for bad show sound)

Constellation/Rockport: about as good as it gets for me, Constellation electronics always seem to be "right", resolving, dynamic, never bright or overbearing in any way, just "right".  The interesting thing with them is that every price level from them sounds nearly the same, fantastic.  I suspect if the Inspiration series has enough watts that is all one needs (except for bragging rights).  Rockport have been some of the best speakers in the world forever, and Andy is always making small gains.

MBL, a rather unique sound that may not be for everyone, but everyone should hear it, but only when the room has some space as the omni speakers must be out in the room to do their stuff.  I love the "MBL sound" in the right space, enveloping and much like live music, wrapping around you.  Not so much the pinpoint imaging that some audiophiles prefer, more of a immersive sound, great for electronic music BTW, and they will play that if you are not afraid to ask.

Nagra/Rockport:  Rockport again... and another larger room.  Beautiful sound in here from some very expensive and beautiful Swiss electronics.  Ahh if were a wealthy man and could afford this and an equal donation to charity...

Anyone at the show today, hear these three if you have not already!

Oh yeah, GO BRONCOS!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

8 hours ago, barrows said:

I only went to selected rooms, so I only heard some stuff, from what I did hear, the good (I do not report the bad, everybody with bad show sound gets a pass with me as it is really hard to get good sound and it is unwise to dismiss manufacturers for bad show sound)

Constellation/Rockport: about as good as it gets for me, Constellation electronics always seem to be "right", resolving, dynamic, never bright or overbearing in any way, just "right".  The interesting thing with them is that every price level from them sounds nearly the same, fantastic.  I suspect if the Inspiration series has enough watts that is all one needs (except for bragging rights).  Rockport have been some of the best speakers in the world forever, and Andy is always making small gains.

MBL, a rather unique sound that may not be for everyone, but everyone should hear it, but only when the room has some space as the omni speakers must be out in the room to do their stuff.  I love the "MBL sound" in the right space, enveloping and much like live music, wrapping around you.  Not so much the pinpoint imaging that some audiophiles prefer, more of a immersive sound, great for electronic music BTW, and they will play that if you are not afraid to ask.

Nagra/Rockport:  Rockport again... and another larger room.  Beautiful sound in here from some very expensive and beautiful Swiss electronics.  Ahh if were a wealthy man and could afford this and an equal donation to charity...

Anyone at the show today, hear these three if you have not already!

Oh yeah, GO BRONCOS!

Glad you liked the Constellation/Rockport room. And great to meet you, @barrows

I was thinking of posting a day 3 report, but it looks like this has now become an MQA thread.

Back to RMAF 18...

Here are my great sounding rooms/systems from Sunday. Like @barrows, I am not mentioning rooms I did not like, but I'd say less than 10% of rooms - and this year I peeked into almost every one - sounded even remotely good. I guess Paul McGowan, who I said hello to - great guy! - felt the same: https://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/different-strokes/

With that preamble, Day 3...

Headphones

image.pngimage.png  

These Quad ERA-1 headphones sounded very impressive at the Woo Audio table at CanJam, driven by their diminutive but impressive solid-state WA11 Passport DAC/amp. Especially next to the just-released Focal Elegia closed-backs, which I found distinctly underwhelming. These Quad's may just set the new benchmark for the sub-$1k segment.

Good-sounding rooms

image.png

These $200k Von Schweikert Ultra 9s, powered by other expensive electronics, did one thing that too many other 6-figure speaker systems didn't do at RMAF - sound amazing. I visited twice, and was underwhelmed the first time they were playing Beethoven's 9th on a turntable. The second time was digital, and that was outstanding.

image.png

This was one of my favorite rooms of the show! Falcon had a setup of 6 different generations of the BBC LS 3/5A, including a restored original BBC version, all the way to the latest version from Falcon. Listening to the same track switched between each generation was a real treat. I've got to say - these speakers are astounding, even to this day.

image.png

Another great-sounding room with Rockport Avior 2's, this time with CH Precision electronics. 

image.png  image.png

Good ol' Vinnie (Rossi). He sets up his rooms so well. And this year was no exception. LIO electronics driving these Harbeth M40.2 Anniversary Editions was really rocking. Room acoustics were'nt perfect, and I've heard this setup sound better at another show, but even so, the soundstage at the sweet spot was incredible.

image.png

And last but not least, my first exposure to the Wilson TuneTot's. Very, very impressive sound. These would be killer for a nearfield setup - at a price!

On 10/6/2018 at 1:56 PM, Ralf11 said:

I'm curious why the SQ in the rooms is better - re @austinpop comment above -

Did they have more time for setup than most shows?  Or are exhibitors learning?

Ralf,

It was a relative statement. Last year I felt the sound quality in most rooms was truly atrocious. A little better this year, but the ratio of good:bad was still depressingly low.