IGNORED

Has any tried losslessma.net?

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

I went to that site - it looks like they are selling access or fast access to the pirated music.

OTOH, maybe the RIAA owns it and is using it to collect information...

The site owner is being paid affiliate revenue by the file hosting service (nitroflare in this case):

http://nitroflare.com/affiliate 

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

As others have noted it's all pirated music, so it's not legit - which is obvious since it's freely downloadable.

It is "legit" in the narrower sense that the downloads are what they claim to be - the music, mastering/release version, and original format (SACD, CD, whatever) are what they are claimed to be.

I don't know where losslessma.net's owners are based, but the layout of the site looks like a slightly modernized version of avaxhome, which is/was a Russian-based site with very similar functionality. There also are a good number of similar sites online that offer music for a price, but a price that's much, much cheaper than other lossless download sites like Qobuz or HDTracks. These sites, like Avaxhome and many of the other flat-out pirate sites, are based in Russia because the country has tended to have somewhat lax enforcement of copyright violations. And many of the "how can it be that cheap?" paid-download sites were based in Russia because the country's copyright laws, written before the advent of internet file-sharing, had some kind of language or loophole that basically allowed these sites to pay a small royalty for each song into some Russian fund, without getting permission of the copyright holder and without having to negotiate payment amounts or deal with the mechanical royalty rates in that apply in the west.

13 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

And many of the "how can it be that cheap?" paid-download sites were based in Russia because the country's copyright laws, written before the advent of internet file-sharing, had some kind of language or loophole that basically allowed these sites to pay a small royalty for each song into some Russian fund, without getting permission of the copyright holder and without having to negotiate payment amounts or deal with the mechanical royalty rates in that apply in the west.

IIRC, the law accidentally saw downloads classified as broadcast and thus only subject to licencing fees similar to how radio is handled in most countries. I believe that loophole is gone, but enforcement is probably still lax.

1 minute ago, mansr said:

IIRC, the law accidentally saw downloads classified as broadcast and thus only subject to licencing fees similar to how radio is handled in most countries. I believe that loophole is gone, but enforcement is probably still lax.

Yes, that was it! Your explanation jogged my memory. - thanks!