IGNORED

iTunes and DSD High Def audio

DSD, probably never. The market is too small.

It has been possible for several years to move hi-res PCM files to iOS devices using third-party apps such as Onkyo. It’s also been possible for several years to use a wired connection to an external DAC/amp to play back hi-res PCM files stored on an iOS device.

Beginning with iOS 11, it is now possible to sync files up to 96/24 to iOS devices using iTunes. It’s possible that the 44.1/16 limit on AirPlay results in downsampling when played using the device’s internal DAC/amp. It is definitely true that Bluetooth connections are limited to 44.1/16. My experience with the Chord Poly and Mojo has been that Wi-Fi connections are also limited to 44.1/16 for files stored on the device.

it is possible to play files stored on an external drive that creates its own Wi-Fi network (WD MyPassport Wireless Pro or equivalent) at native resolutions up to 196/24 PCM and DSD64 on a Poly/Mojo, using a third-party iOS app such as Glider to control playback.

HTH. This is not intended as a Mojo/Poly ad, although I am a happy owner.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Thanks for the info!

I'm thinking more in the line of home theater listening. Just as background, some years back I repurposed my old 2007 MacBook as a music server. [I replaced the HD with a SSD.] I'm taking a USB output and feeding the signal thru a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100, then into an Onkyo TX-NR777 receiver. A ton of ripped CDs are in my iTunes library along with purchased iTunes albums.

My problem is that I can hear the difference between the ripped CDs at, let's say 960 kbps and a purchased iTune song at 256 kbps. I'm kind of looking for an upgrade in my on-line music purchasing. 

12 minutes ago, Tom Swift 690 said:

I'm taking a USB output and feeding the signal thru a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100

If I'm not wrong, your DAC support PCM formats onle. So when DSD files are playback, they must be converted "on fly".

As alternative, you can use audio player software that is capable to "on fly" conversion.

See list of players https://samplerateconverter.com/educational/dsd-player

If you want to play DSD files on iTunes only, you can use conversion software to lossless AIFF or ALAC with one of resolutions of your DAC.

See list of conversion software https://samplerateconverter.com/audio-converter/list

How to learn DAC resolutions to achive minimal distortions (better sound quality) read here https://samplerateconverter.com/content/how-improve-sound-quality

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature