IGNORED

Article: Dutch & Dutch 8c Loudspeaker Review

23 minutes ago, PeterG said:

With all due respect, I think you've missed my point.  Whatever the technical benefits or features might be, we still need to know how good they sound, and that requires a reference to something that most of us understand

Given that the room is the biggest instrument and has the largest effect on sound, how do you suggest someone start with a reference that everyone can understand?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

19 hours ago, PeterG said:

Interesting question in two ways, starting with the "reference".  Now that you push me, I see that I do not mean reference in the literal sense--I mean that a reviewer needs to put us in the ballpark of how he is defining "good".  The answer I was looking for would be something like--"beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so you should listen for yourself, but the 8c's are good competition for other stand-mounts in the $5-10K range such as....Of course you'll need to buy an amp for those".  Virtually every professional review does this, including your own.

Back to your assertion that the room is the biggest instrument.  That may be the answer to the big question--maybe the 8c's are not in the big leagues in a good room, but jump to the front of the pack in a problem room?  I am not asserting that either of these things is true

I also do not accept the idea that these are unique in the way that matters most--i.e. there's more than one way to skin a cat.  I'd really like to know how a person might evaluate the 8c's and a headphone amp (as Mitchco has done) against a price comparable combo of amp/speakers/room correction, or just amp/speakers in a typical room.  The whole area of room correction is fascinating, important, and debatable--let's have the debate!

Big picture--I think CA's guest reviewers bring a welcome fresh take.  Mitchco has written a terrific piece that we never would have read elsewhere.  But let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.  There are certain things that every review should include.  Price and performance against some defined competition are two of those things.

Thanks for the well thought out reply Peter. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 10 months later...
14 minutes ago, coot said:

How would I connect my Aurender N100's usb2 to the 8c. Is there a usb-to-AES/EBU adapter of some kind?

--------------

In the US, D&D really seem to be ignoring the hi-fi market and aiming this product very much toward the pro studio folks. So far I have not found any hi-fi dealers, only pro shops selling them. Weird.

There are numerous USB to AES converters available. The best one I’ve used is the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB. 

Not many HiFi dealers carry any speakers like these. The exception is some may carry Kii.