Well, that’s a very strange question is’nt it? During my +30 years in this hobby I have always concentrated my efforts to hear bass notes, dynamics, treble, air, fatigue, natural sound, textures, 3D, 4D etc in dead center of the speakers. Just because that’s how it is and that is how it should be. Or is it? 

During my latest +10 years I have had a sneaking feeling that good sound is easiest to hear from for example the kitchen when playing music in the audio corner and not in the dead center between the speakers and with my ears in the perfect height. For me it is much easier to evaluate good sound from way outside that triangle than it is inside of it. Why? I have no dea! That’s why I started this thread. To see if there is anyone else that recognize this as well and if someone possibly knows the answer to why this is. Or is it only me and my imagination! ?

Don’t get me wrong. The SQ always gets better in the dead center of the speakers, but the evaluation process is just easier to determine outside the triangle.

Since this is an honest question I would appreciate honest replies! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

58 minutes ago, Hugo9000 said:

I've seen the concept mentioned over the years in various magazines, usually starting with an anecdote about the reviewer's wife/significant other coming in from another room and making a comment about the sound from other parts of the house.

Yes, I have read that too I must admit. I did’nt think it matter much until I realized the importance in my own evaluations.

🎛️  Audio System  

21 minutes ago, 4est said:

And then if I might elaborate, we are not wowed by the system forgiving other faults due the the spectacularity of change.

Not sure if I follow you on that one?  Why is it more forgiving listening off center than in center of the speakers?

🎛️  Audio System