IGNORED

Is this website about "computer" audio anymore?

7 hours ago, MikePM said:

Chris:  I have been a reader (mostly passive) for years.  Your website was always my goto when deciding how to set up a NAS, or network, upgrade my computer, or tweek my software.  Unfortunately, the articles are now mostly just digital audio reviews that I can get from any of a number of websites.  I know that any silicon is basically a computer, but in the sense of how Computer Audiophile was started and its early readership, I think it no longer addresses in any consistent way, the original focus on using a personal computer, and generally available hardware and software to access great sounding music.  

Is it you view that the PC is finished or simply at a deadend?  I will admit that since you started mostly posting sporadic reviews of digital servers and dacs, and dropping discussion of basic computer equipment, I tune in, or log in, a lot less.

Where is this site headed and should we just consider it "digital audiophile" with little or no emphasis on the computers, software, and accessories that originally made this place unique?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt you are expressing genuine concerns.  At some point you appear to have missed a critical development (or lack of) that stagnated interest in the direction you were accustomed to.  Were continued development of the CAPS servers relevant across the wider readership it would not have been dropped.  

I think you are hinting at something wider which is actually disturbing you.  A fundamental change in the atmosphere and increased interest in backs against the wall industry treachery.  Dispiriting reliance on cunning having everything to do with nothing to do with being a computer audiophile.  My suggestion is to maintain your passivity and focus on the pockets of enjoyable dissertation.  You wouldn't be the first to suggest this site cannot go both ways and hope to survive.  

So let's dispense with the small talk.  If you are capable of fulfilling the large desire to see a custom motherboard through from conception to delivery.  If you can bend silicon wafers to your will in a small onsite shed.  If you can solve any of the highly restrictive problems which idled otherwise industrious hands to the point of abandonment.  Run, don't walk into any of the sub-forums dealing with them directly.  Those who are here in the hopes a new shoot will form out of the withering vine will form a circle around you.  

I have no doubts @jabbr could make even a Walmart computer functional.  Most here probably could.  It isn't a question likely to hold interest for an interminable amount of time though.  What are you going to do once it's no longer fun to play with.  The kids know better than to get saddled with it.  Seems wasteful to let it sit in the closet until it dies of old age.  Why bother in the absence of a very solid reason for pursuing this when there are more worthy uses of time?