IGNORED

Prism Sound Orpheus & onboard RIAA Equalization

I am considering the Prism Sound Orpheus (along with another DAC). One of the features that interest me is the ability to convert all of my vinyl to digital. Has anyone used the Prism Sound Orpheus in this way? Your thoughts please, along with it's sound (using onboard RIAA) as opposed to a standalone phono preamp.

Thanks

Alan B

Other than hardware RIAA, have you tried software?

I am using a little Gem called Acoustica; the persons that created this did a wonderful job.

My setup:

Thorens TD 124 t/t > EMUo404 pre> RME 9632 > RME Digicheck Capture.

Data are then declick/denoise and RIAA'ed using Acoustica.

The resulted long audio file are then adjusted if needed using Sound forge (Sony), I use SF to separate and label all tracks manually

Winst

Thanks Winst. While it looks like a good package, it is for Windows. I like using my MacBook Pro as I currently use an Apogee Duet as my A to D. Tried looking at Channel D's Pure Vinyl but to take advantage of their recording program (with software RIAA) it appears that one has to use their software for playback. That is to limiting (unless I missed something). I am currently recording in 96/24 for my music server and then down sample a copy so I can also burn a CD. I also use a Thorens TT, but mine is the TD125 MK II.

Alan B

There is a post at Acoustica where a mod. doesn't even know what RIAA curve is....they are probably using a parametric equalizer, if so, this is not the way to go. Metric Halo, PureVinyl, or the free 96 & 192kHz VSTs for Windows all use the the heavy math and IIR filter.

Here's a good article on the Prism Orpheus:

http://www.10audio.com/prism_orpheus.htm

Looks like you'd still need a SUT with Orpheus.

If you are using any moving iron or moving magnet carts, look at the AEA TRP.

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Alan,

"Tried looking at Channel D's Pure Vinyl but to take advantage of their recording program (with software RIAA) it appears that one has to use their software for playback. That is to limiting (unless I missed something)."

Let me clarify that impression. You can, of course, save recordings with the Pure Vinyl's digital RIAA applied at the time of recording, or later, using Pure Vinyl, process "flat" recordings with the RIAA correction and save those as corrected files (with optional sample rate conversion if desired). So, Pure Vinyl need not be used for playback.

Pure Vinyl also provides correction curves for antique recordings (before the RIAA standard curve was adopted) and includes an adjustable (frequency and slope) "rumble" filter (not included in the Orpheus, which just has a fixed frequency low cut filter).

The bottom line is that you will have more choices open afterwards if recording the "flat" uncorrected signal, and you don't have to make those choices during the initial recording step. - Rob

Hi Hifitube,

When designing circuits such as rc filters, an Engineer have to decide on a few things such as, costs/available component spec/desired accuracy etc; reason for mentioning the above, are just to consider this point: which are more accurate, Software algorithms, or component parts with specifications of .1 - 10%.

I am in no way connected to Acoustica, and I have tested many software riaa and even using a Rega phono pre amp, and subsequent listening, to my ears reveal that the curves/ mathematics used in

this software sounded much better than the hardware unit used in my test.

I have not tried >http://www.mhlabs.com/metric_halo/mio51/RIAA.shtml

willing to hear if anyone else have any related feedback.

It is a very quick function in acoustica; once you have recorded your track (entire side of LP)flat on your hard drive in acoustica click enhance> phono> run, (this is the riaa) in 4sec you have riaa`ed one entire side of the lp. give it a listen

Winst

I agree, that's why I too use software digital RIAA that was based on the PureVinyl filter. I haven't tried Acoustica but there is a free VST for 96kHz & 192kHz.

If Acoustica is doing it right, it is the most accurate method, but you have to have a good mic pre, matching impedance issues, and a really good ADC.

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

• 2 weeks later...

I own an Orpheus, but I do not use it for vinyl. Another person I know does use one along with a step-up-transformer for vinyl playback and archiving, and he thinks the results are excellent. The RIAA processing in the Orpheus is done via a digital filter, so the results will be far more accurate than an analog hardware phono-stage. But of course the idea of digitizing analog for playback purposes does not sit well analog purists.

Alan

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks

there were a couple of people who mentioned VST's that do RIAA at high sample rates, using the heavy math method (correcting for phase as well as amplitude I assume)...

But no one has provided specifics or a link!

If someone could post references to these it would be VERY much appreciated!

thanks.

David

P.S. Running e-Mu 1616m, Turntable into MicPre in HiZ mode (1M impedance) with paralleled load plugs allowing for adjustment of load to anything I can solder (currently experimenting with 47k, 68k, 75k & 100k).... also experimenting with varying capacitance. Cartridge Frequency response is very sensitive to loading - and different cartridges even from the same maker, respond differently... This is all working well - but I need an RIAA VST I can trust!