IGNORED

A poll: The future direction...

B because of the convenience.

i have got the ps audio pwd with the new bridge.

synology nas with upnp server en all music in flac.

everything running in 15 minutes.

controlling (even the volume) through an iphone / ipad.

resolution up to 24 bits 192 khz.

the sound is stunning.

even my girlfriend can choose and play the music she wants.

internet radio and all.

that is the way the most people will go i guess.

A for now (see sig below), but keeping an eye out for PS Audio's Digital Lens/Network Bridge package. If that does what it promises, I'll run it with an iPad controller.

But I'm extremely satisfied with what I've got now.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

the only difficulty that I see with the PWD + Bridge is that, someday, people will probably want to upgrade their DAC. Still, I'm really studying this possibility.

best regards

André

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

I am not considering the PWD + Bridge, precisely because of the DAC inflexibility. I am way too happy with my Wyred DAC2.

PSA have announced a new product for next January to be called the Digital Lens (their proprietary jitter fix plus digital source selector). The Network Bridge will be an optional module for full control over playback from a NAS to the DAC of your choice.

Al J.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

I do not have the PWD so I am looking very seriously at the PS Lens product due to be released within a couple of months (as far as I can tell). This will have a slot for the Bridge in addition to other inputs (SPDIF RCA & Toslink, AES/EBU and USB). The outputs, SPDIF RCA & Toslink, and AES/EBU, will allow streaming to any DAC.

David

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

Al J and David,

thanks for the info. I hope this item hits the street sooner than it took for us to get the bridge. It sounds like the lens will be somewhat similar to using a SB Touch as a transport with a few extras (like different digital outputs). It kind of defeats the main atraction which, to me, is the I2S. OTOH, maybe the I2S is over-hyped.

I'm about to test the M2Tech EVO against the SB Touch. Might report back here if anyone is interested.

best regards

André

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

After all the work PSA put into creating a unqiue HDMI I2S interface, you can bet the Lens/Bridge will do I2S out and it is definitely worth waiting for.

In a previous millennium, I owned an Audio Alchemy transport/DAC with I2S via DIN connectors. It outlived every contender right up until the transport gave up the ghost and could not be repaired or replaced.

The fact that the Wyred DAC2 includes a "PS Audio" HDMI I2S input was a major factor in my choice of DAC.

Al J.

Al J.

"The outputs, SPDIF RCA & Toslink, and AES/EBU, will allow streaming to any DAC."

This set of outputs would not allow streaming to "any" DAC; DACs with only these outputs are referred to as "legacy" DACs, for good reason, in my opinion.

In my experience, the best sounding DACs have either Firewire or Async USB inputs. :)

clay

I chose a BADA over a PWD/PWT combo because of the lack of a stand-alone Lens I could use to directly connect my Mac. The only streaming I do is Pandora (which I love), so a Lens might be just the ticket for me. If/when PS Audio gets some kind of deal in place with Pandora, the Bridge might be more relevant.

It'd be interesting to have a single, hi-res capable, device that can pull all my non-SACD/vinyl sources together and have it deal with jitter. Be neater still if it would accept HDMI in.

Clay

My comment about DACs was in the context of those of us who do not have PWD's or DACs with I2S input compatible with the PS I2S output - we're stuck with legacy inputs.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned my desire to decouple the computer from direct (synchronous or asynchronous) connection to the DAC. While I agree using firewire (or maybe USB) is better than connecting a computer to a DAC by SPDIF or AES/EBU (I use firewire for direct connection- see below), I'd prefer to isolate all the potential nasties associated with the computer by transmitting the data to a DAC in packets via ethernet or wirelessly, which is exactly what the PWD+Bridge can handle.

My problem, like many others I guess, is that I cannot afford to change my DAC so using the Lens+Bridge with a "legacy" AES/EBU connection to my DAC looks like it may be a reasonable compromise for me.

David

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

Thanks for the very cogent explanation.

Understood.

I still have significant reservations about this type of approach.

More importantly, someone whose ears I trust has tried desperately to get their PWD/Bridge combo to sound as good as my current DAC and was unable.

Best of luck on your path,

Clay

Agreed, I'm going to do some careful comparative listening before making any commitment.

David

Clay,

what's your DAC at the moment? I'm toying with the idea of selling my SB Touch and WDTV Live and just get myself a Mac Mini. Am also thinking of getting myself a dCS with firewire. Any suggestions regarding a FW DAC with remote and pre?

best regards

André

A

In my world, screens are not meant for touching/smudging.

A wireless keyboard w/integrated mouse works great for me.

1) Asus netbook/XP > decco integrated > audiodata 88 dB @1W/1m, 8 Ohm loudspeakers[br]2) Rega Planet or Asus desktop/XP > Rega IO > Mapleshade-modded Heathkit SA-2 (2x EL84/ch) > audiodata 90 dB @1W/1m, 4 Ohm loudspeakers

I use a Metric Halo LIO-8 (as my primary DAC) and Wavelength Proton (for secondary system). It's the former that was up against the PWD/Bridge combo. I use the LIO-8 as a preamp as well, connecting directly to a First Watt J2 power amp, or alternatively, a Fi Super X 300B integrated amp.

I don't really use remotes, I use my MBAir (or iPad) instead, via Screen Sharing.

Others have used remotes with the MH boxes.

cheers,

clay

Eloise, count me as an 'A' for now, but hopeful.

Often an early adopter (I have a Newton somewhere, and a first generation GPS-capable sports training watch, and a heart-rate-monitor from the late 80s, etc, etc.), I'm also a Luddite in the sense that I try to buy new technology that decidedly advances the art, and try not to buy the modern-day equivalent of CB radios.

I'll also sometimes purchase flawed 1st-gen technology, just to support first movers.

All that said, I'm in a quandary about whether/when to jump onto the bandwagon of Ethernet/uPnP/network-based streamers.

Said another way, it's still rather easy for me to view these devices as a solution for a problem that I've already solved or don't view as being a problem.

cheers,

clay