IGNORED

SACD Import from CD Japan: Genesis "Lamb Lies Down On Broadway"

So I took the plunge and ordered an SACD from CD Japan.

First let me say that the service and web site are absolutely top notch. I received it less than a week after ordering.

The album's (re)design is stunning, exactly like a mini-version of the double vinyl album.

For $75 all in, you get 2 SACD (double album) plus a DVD that contains the album in 24/96, as well as a couple of 5.1 surround mixes in 24/96. The DVD has a menu to play the album with clever graphical illustrations (not video, photos with effects) of the album.

Off course, what I cared about the most was the quality of the SACD, and it definitely a massive improvement from the CD version. Less tape noise, better imaging of the vocals, and firmer bass.

Given that most classic Genesis has been re-issued in Japan in SACD format, I plan to buy a few more more Xmas.

Again, CD Japan was absolutely impeccable in their service and delivery. 2 thumbs way up.

I am not setup yet to rip the SACD 100% digitally, as I can only do it via analog output of SACD player (mediocre Sony unit for now) to digital conversion. I will do it anyways, not the least to run the Spectrum analyzer in Audacity and confirm that it goes above 20k.

This sounds the same as the SACD from the UK 1970-1975 box set. I agree that the SACD sounds very good but I was dissapointed with the DVD. I had hoped that the 24/96 would be DVDA (similar to the King Crimson/REM/Talking Heads reissues) which I could rip. It is in fact dts, which I find very tiring and un-listenable. What is the DVD audio format on the Japanese issue?

Santar

• 2 months later...