IGNORED

iTunes 10 - automatic conversion of hi-rez to 128kbps for ipods

Ajax

Apologies if this has already been raised on another thread (I looked but couldn't see it).

The new iTunes 10 has finally addressed the issue of storing hi-rez music in WAV and AIFF formats on your computer / NAS and then trying to fit the large files onto a small iphone or ipod.

After connecting your ipod look under devices / summary and you will see a new box which you can tick to reduce hi-rez to 128kbps.

Normally this would be fantastic except IMO 128kps is far too much compression (never happy are we) and you can easily hear the difference. It would be much better if they gave you a choice similar to the "import setting" where using the custom button you can choose your lossy bit rate .... such as 256kps or 320kbps VBR say.

To my ears 320kbps VBR in AAC format sounds very good and it is a great compromise between quality and mobility.

If they couldn't give you a choice just increasing the bit rate from 128kbps to 256kbps VBR (say) would be fine with me. This would still reduce the file size to less than 20% of the orignal file. I note that the iTunes store upgraded their download bit rate from 128kbps to 256kbps last year in recognition that the original 128kbps was excessive compression.

I currently manage two libraries, one for my personal hi-rez played at home through my high grade DAC/ active speakers, and one for my family's ipods and iphones and for me it would be a god send to just have the one library.

It strikes me as something that would not be too difficult for Apple to do so my question is how do you go about bringing a request like this to the attention of the right people?

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Thanks Brand B - comments sent to Apple Feedback

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Yeah, something like:

Dear Mr. Jobs,

128kbps is not enough for the iPod!

- Ajax

Dear Mr. Ajax,

We don't think so.

- Steve Jobs

? MBP ? M2Tech hiFace ? Heed Q-PSU/Dactilus 2 ? Heed CanAmp ? Sennheiser HD650

Water Damage - The Most Helpful Restoration Service in America - Affordable Services in Your Area - 24/7 Hotline.

Long Distance Movers - Long Distance Movers Since 1995 - GET A QUOTE. New York (NYC), California (CA), Los Angeles (LA) & San Francisco.

Infiniti Starter - Shop for Infiniti Starter from Car Parts Warehouse at wholesale price online. Visit Car Parts Warehouse to buy premier quality replacement car and truck parts for all makes and models

Hummer CD Changer - Car Radio Pros carries only the best, strictly OEM car radio parts. Every part will sell is guaranteed to fit and comes with a full one year warranty. Learn more about the parts we carry

• 1 month later...