IGNORED

Marantz RC 5200 dead – repair? Or which replacement?

My 10-year-old Marantz RC 5200 has broken (error messages initially and then went completely unresponsive and cycling through black screen-blank screen-beep, reset and restore do not work, PC does not connect to it any more).

1) Do you think this old model still can be repaired by Marantz or some service centre (I am in the UK). Any contacts? Marantz Europe web site does not have any.

2) I think repair is unlikely so replacement is possible. Which remote is today’s equivalent? I am so behind things and would appreciate an overview of makes and models. I need one with medium to large colour touch screen, ability to completely customize screen layouts (different shapes of buttons, text), good range of hard buttons, excellent PC editing software, comprehensive codes database, no RF required (but OK if present). What else? Hmmmm, that’s it. Unless I do not know a of a new good feature… Is WiFi functionality useful and for what?

Would appreciate advice.

From my knowledge (and assuming you are in UK) there are very few remotes which meet your criteria for fully customisable layout - at a reasonable cost only the Philips Pronto range (your Marantz was a rebadged Pronto).

If you set your sites a little lower, then take a look at the Logitech range.

Just some basic thoughts ...

maybe worth checking out Remote Central for a remote control dedicated forum, or the remote control section of AV Forums.

The big "feature" of some modern remotes (such as higher end Logitech) is the ability to interface wirelessly with an RF to IR converter allowing non-line-of-sight control of devices.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks, Eloise,

your posts are always very useful!

I have been digging the above sites and indeed the pronto family is still the way to go... but the ipad/ipod based ones are getting better and better and it is harder and harder to justify (the cost of) a dedicated advanced remote. - although the dedicated ones still have improtant advantages like hard buttons...

Anyhow, I managed to find a UK repair centre who agreed to have a look at it, so keeping fingers crossed for a repair. Which may let me get away at 'low' cots and observe the market for a bit more

thanks again.