IGNORED

Cooling for MBP

My MBP with 8 GB ram reaches 60 degrees C if the room is moderately warm, running only PM. It's probably OK to run it up to 70C, but I'd like a little less heat.

All of the so-called chill pads with fans use USB Power.

I've resisted that idea, since I use USB Asynchronous with my QB-9.

I have thought of buying a small, quiet battery powered fan. The MBP is on a collapsible stand that is supposed to aid in cooling. "Supposed to" being the operative phrase. So I thought of a simple and portable fan.

Or is there a fan cooling chill pad that is battery powered? I haven't seen one.

Any suggestions, pro or con?

I do have the internal fan control widget, but it's buggy - can't get it to hold a higher speed for long.

Various speakers, electronics, cable, etc. on loan for manufacturers' evaluation.

More or less permanently in use:

Schiit Iggy (latest), Ayre QB-9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Uptone Audio ISO Regen/LPS-1 Power supply, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio LanRover, Small Green Computer, Sonore ultraRendu, gigaFOIL4 ethernet/optical filter - Keces PS-3 power supply, (3) MBPs - stripped down for music only,  AQ Diamond USB & Ethernet, Transparent USB, Curious USB, LH Lightspeed split USB, Halide USB DAC, Audirvana +, Pure Music, ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue amp, Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, Pass X-1 preamp, Quicksilver Mid-Mono Amps, Pass XA-30.5 amp, Duelund ICs & Speaker Cables, Paul Hynes SR-7 power supply, Grand Prix Audio Monaco Isolation racks & F1 shelves, Tannoy Canterbury SEs w/custom Duelund crossovers and stands, 2 REL 212SEs, AV RoomService EVPs, ASC Tube Traps, tons of CDs, 30 IPS masters, LPs.

http://www.getbettersound.com

All of Apple's laptops seem to run quite hot. I have this on my mini:

http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

It will tell you what is emitting the most heat, and then you can try to address the issue. The hottest thing in my mini is the CPU, but it runs about 57 C. The thing to worry about on the laptop is the battery heating up.

I googled Peltier Laptop Cooler and came up only with a solar-powered bikini for charging an iPod.

Thanks.

I bought my MBP new from the factory in June. It had all the updates.

I also have a program that indicates what is producing the most heat. It's the CPU.

The thing is, there seems to be no agreement about how much heat is too much...

Various speakers, electronics, cable, etc. on loan for manufacturers' evaluation.

Schiit Iggy (latest), Ayre QB-9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Uptone Audio ISO Regen/LPS-1 Power supply, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio LanRover, Small Green Computer, Sonore ultraRendu, gigaFOIL4 ethernet/optical filter - Keces PS-3 power supply, (3) MBPs - stripped down for music only,  AQ Diamond USB & Ethernet, Transparent USB, Curious USB, LH Lightspeed split USB, Halide USB DAC, Audirvana +, Pure Music, ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue amp, Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, Pass X-1 preamp, Quicksilver Mid-Mono Amps, Pass XA-30.5 amp, Duelund ICs & Speaker Cables, Paul Hynes SR-7 power supply, Grand Prix Audio Monaco Isolation racks & F1 shelves, Tannoy Canterbury SEs w/custom Duelund crossovers and stands, 2 REL 212SEs, AV RoomService EVPs, ASC Tube Traps, tons of CDs, 30 IPS masters, LPs.

This program will give you your CPU temp. Then go to the Intel site and you can look up the specs of your CPU to see what the maximum temp is.

http://islayer.com/help/istatpro-manual/

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

Thanks.

I was kinda hoping not to find out what is too much by experiencing a thermal shutdown. :)

But you have a valid point.

Thanks.

Looks good.

I'll check it out.

If you're worried that drawing power from the computer's USB port to power the cooling pad will affect sound quality, you can always use external USB power instead.

There are various USB power adapters that plug into the wall -- mainly for charging mobile phones or USB devices such as iPods -- that you can use. In fact, I am using one right now to power a cooling pad and draw heat out of my Onkyo receiver.

For a more portable solution, I've seen external USB battery packs meant to charge and/or power portable devices such as iPods.

MadCow -

Thanks for your suggestions.

It helps a lot.

Thanks, Little Mick.