IGNORED

ITunes 8.0

Afveep

Hi Chris and all-

I may have missed this here, but couldn't find any reference to it here. Is this the "secret" that perhaps Chris has been teasing us with? Does anyone know anything about this or when the announcement might be? See:

http://kevinrose.com/blogg/category/apple

Tom

Tidal Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC Master preamp; Merrill Audio Christine preamp, Merrill Audio Jens & VAC Renaissance Phono Preamps;   Bricasti M28 & Merrill Audio Element 118 Monoblock Amplifiers; Sonore Signature RenduSE Optical network player; Bricasti M12 Source Controller/ DAC; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus Diamond Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 Reel-Reel with Merrill Audio Master tape head preamplifier; Ansuz signal and power cabling and power distribution; Symposium Isis racks 

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC,  Bricasti, Merrill Audio,  Sonore, Ansuz, Synergistic Research & others)

I just picked up iTunes 8 today, and surprise of all surprises, Apple has been working with GW Micro to make iTunes 8 fully accessible with the about to be released version 7.0 of the Window Eyes screen reader for blind users. I know most of you don't think this is anything to get excited about, but for me it is HUGE!

I've been playing with it for the past hour or two and so far, save for some extremely minor quirks, the entire application seeems to work well with the screen reader, and the iTunes store is also now accessible as well.

Now I just have to learn what I'm going to need to do in order to use iTunes with my ReadyNAS NV+ and how to set that all up.

This feather in Apple's cap is a long time coming, but greatly appreciated -- let's hope it's the beginning of a trend for them.

-- Jim

I finally got around to downloading the new iTunes today on my iMac, so far so good! The new "Genius" feature is pretty cool, methinks.

I haven't had time to really critically listen to the new version yet, has anyone noticed that the sounds is now better or worse?

Peace,

Lee

Locus Design Group[br]www.locus-design.com[br]www.cryo-parts.com[br]www.cryo-freeze.com

Yeah, they really tout the bells and whistles on their site. And, they are cool...but ultimately I hope the sound is better, or at least, not worse.

I'll try to carve out a few hours sometime on the next few days to critically listen to v8. I'll post my impressions, I look forward to reading others impressions as well.

Peace,

Lee

Locus Design Group[br]www.locus-design.com[br]www.cryo-parts.com[br]www.cryo-freeze.com

Chris, unless your friend is a really proficient screen reader user, it doesn't really look like this is quite ready for primetime.

A bunch of us on the window eyes beta team tested this for the last day or two and it looks like there are still some significant usability issues: super slow and erratic library list view performance, a tendency to open the store at almost any opportunity, strange focus issues, and overall sluggishness. According to a sighted friend, "now you see what we've been dealing with" as he seems to think the same problems exist with or without a screen reader present.

A quick dump of the window/class hierarchy shows this to be an exceptionally weirdly written program.

In this case, at least for now, I have to say that this is a pretty typical case of accessibility being used synonamously with usability, which it clearly isn't.

Still the fact that Apple is working on this, and pledges to continue to do so, is the most important thing right now.

Foobar2000 still remains the only fully accessible media librarian/player.

-- Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Just read over on the PC Audio "Asylum" that the Equalizer is set on by default in iTunes 8. It's buried in WINDOW>EQualizer. The "on" box needs to be unchecked.

Here's the thread:

http://www.AudioAsylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=37087

Tom

Tidal Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC Master preamp; Merrill Audio Christine preamp, Merrill Audio Jens & VAC Renaissance Phono Preamps;   Bricasti M28 & Merrill Audio Element 118 Monoblock Amplifiers; Sonore Signature RenduSE Optical network player; Bricasti M12 Source Controller/ DAC; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus Diamond Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 Reel-Reel with Merrill Audio Master tape head preamplifier; Ansuz signal and power cabling and power distribution; Symposium Isis racks 

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC,  Bricasti, Merrill Audio,  Sonore, Ansuz, Synergistic Research & others)

So, after I`ve used Itunes 8 for a while I have to say that it sounds so much better, I can hardly believe it. Just listened to "Free Live" in lossless yesterday. The soundstage was amazing, I could have thought they played right in my listening room!!!!

What are your experience with Itunes 8, so far?

White Macbook - Apple Airport Express - AVI ADM 9.1[br]AVI ADM 9 Owners Club

I can't say I really hear a difference, but I like the Genius feature. I generated a couple of Genius playlists and they were both outside the box. One based on a Miles Davis tune, not only picked up jazz tunes, but vocal pop and rock tunes with jazzy structures from the likes of Elvis Costello and Van Morrison. A pretty good trick for something built into another piece of (free) software. I actually thought it did better than Pandora.

Tim

I confess. I\'m an audiophool.

I haven't noticed any sonic difference with iTunes 8, compared to the immediately prior release.

Is Apple claiming any sonic enhancements? I didn't see that listed on a list of features anywhere.

MacBook Pro -> AppleTV ->Rotel RSP-1570 -> Martin Logan Electromotion[br]MacBook Pro -> Icon HDP -> AKG K701[br]Apple Lossless all the way

"so, does it sound better ? i think the resampler is better.."

Resampler?

What iTunes feature does this refer to? I don't think I've seen anything in iTunes labeled a resampler.

MacBook Pro -> AppleTV ->Rotel RSP-1570 -> Martin Logan Electromotion[br]MacBook Pro -> Icon HDP -> AKG K701[br]Apple Lossless all the way

Hi Tim - This is something that many people are trying to figure out. There are many applications that will output bit perfect audio, but they don't all sound the same. So, it stands to reason that iTunes could still output bit perfect audio and change its sonic signature.

I'm not saying iTunes 8 sounds different but I do think it's possible.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris

You know, I`m aware of the fact that our ears can be fooled easily, that`s why I`ve asked. There are people on other forums claiming to hear an improvement, too, but I`m not sure if they`re listening to High End equipment, so....

Maybe there are some more who could post their experience? Perhaps it`s got something to do with the rest of the kit?

White Macbook - Apple Airport Express - AVI ADM 9.1[br]AVI ADM 9 Owners Club

• 1 month later...

In the case of iTunes, the use of the term "resampling" refers, i think, to one of the two possibilities:

1. importing an audio cd using apple lossless

2. listening to tracks [already on hard disc] wirelessly through an airport express to a hifi

Method 1 is sometimes referred to as "digital resampling" and method 2 as "audio resampling".

"Digital resampling" involves changing the sample rate of the digital data [that is being stored on your hard disc] as a consequence of analysing the original data [on the audio cd].

If you set your options to "import using Apple Lossless" then iTunes imports with VBR - Variable Bit Rate.

"Audio Resampling" aka "Sample Rate Conversion" is simply converting one sample rate to another. When using Airport Express, iTunes [or to be more precise the Quicktime Codec] on your Mac transmits only data at 44.1 kHz. Any track that is not at this sample rate is converted in real time by i-Tunes before wireless transmission to the Airport Express.

- well, that's how iTunes and Airport Express used to work: I wonder if the upgrade of the wireless capabilities of the new Airport Express will herald better sound...

Slightly off-topic but still within iTunes...

Chris is quite right not to use Airport Express:

I completely agree that the [optical] sound out of an Airport Express is not nearly as good as [optical] straight out of a macbook or macbook pro.

In other posts, Chris has pointed out that the conversion to 44.1 kHz (that the iTunes-airport-express system always locks onto) would account for a deterioration in sound quality of those tracks with higher initial sampling rates.

But i think there are further problem with Airport Express.

I think it comes down to simple mechanics and processing power. Using software, An Airport-Express converts the incoming Apple Lossless data to an encoded digital audio format, and this digital audio is sent to an optical receiver which converts it to optical. I just think that [a] there isn't enough processing power inside the plug to run these two conversions accurately and for the modest price that it already is Apple couldn't afford to put in higher grade components.

I guess basically it's the classic problem of just sticking too many processes into the signal path...

I don't think this statement is correct:

""Digital resampling" involves changing the sample rate of the digital data [that is being stored on your hard disc] as a consequence of analysing the original data [on the audio cd].

If you set your options to "import using Apple Lossless" then iTunes imports with VBR - Variable Bit Rate."

I import exclusively using Apple Lossless. If you pick Apple Lossless as your import method, VBR isn't listed as a choice.

Or are you talking about a two step process where first one imports using ALAC, then later converts to MP3 VBR?