IGNORED

Experience / Knowledge

Hello All, I'm new to CA and I'm very impressed with the extensive knowledge base here present. I consider myself to be a novice at the digital domain. I've had a working computer based system for about 6 months now, and I've tried to absorb every piece of info. available on the subject. Like most members on CA, I'm also an audiophile / music lover. I concentrate my efforts exclusively on digital because I don't have the resources to compile a vinyl collection or all the necessary playback components. At present, my digital front end consists of a HPE 270f desktop running Windows 7 64 bit. On the advice of a CA member, I went with the J River Media Center to replace iTunes as my primary player. I use the WASAPI output to a Bel Canto USB Link (24/96) feeding 50' of coax to my Bel Canto DAC 3. I use a 50' Toslink (plastic) optical cable to my Marantz R15S2 SACD player's DAC for iTunes, and I definitely prefer playback through the Bel Canto; probably because I'm bypassing the Windows OS. A/B comparisons using the same source and protocol don't reveal any significan differences between DAC's

Anyway, I was wondering #1 if anyone had any comments or suggestions on this setup, and #2 I would like to know what kind of experience some of you more seasoned members have. I really feel like some of the discussions are way over my head, and was wondering how long it took some of you to come "up to speed" so to speak.

I have been signed up to this forum for a year and a half.

There are some wonderfully generous and knowledgeable contributors here such as Clay, Eloise, Gordon R, Steve N, PeterS, Charles H to name but a few and obviously Chris himself.

I suggest you read and read and read and ask and ask and ask and of course avoid feeding the trolls.

During my year and half I have learnt a huge amount to add my general experiences as an audiophile over the last 35 years.

Enjoy your time here.

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

blueixus,

Thanks, I'll continue to read, and ask questions. I'll get there one day. I'm kinda starting from a position of general ignorance with regard to computers. I was resistant to them all through college and early adulthood, and it isn't until now that I see they have application to something I dearly love. It is, therefore, necessary for me to play catch up. First, I have to get my computer savvy up to snuff, then I can concentrate on audio applications. Terms like "Kernels", and such are relatively new to me. Anyway, blueixus, what do you mean when you say I should avoid "Feeding The Trolls"?