IGNORED

FLAC files and iTunes

czapp

Hi

I'm relatively new at this so forgive my ignorance. I am using a Mac G5 with Lynx AES 16e card, connected to a Playback Designs Dac/Player via it's AES connection.

At the moment, I am using iTunes.

I started looking around some music download sites - HD tracks in particular.

Their hi resolution downloads are only available in FLAC format. I am under the impression that iTunes doesn't support FLAC. Is there a solution here?

Thanks

Carl

1) Use an application - Max or XLD - to transcode the FLAC into AIFF. The conversion is perfect (no loss of quality). Both these are open source applications.

2) Use Amarra which supports playing back high-res FLAC. This (AFAIK) utilises the Fluke plug-in for iTunes to enable you to catalogue the FLAC files (Fluke itself allows playback of 16/44.1 FLAC files) and then Amarra's own playback engine to actually play the files. Alternatively Amarra can also be used to transcode FLAC to AIFF offline.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Eloise

Do you have any preferences between XLD and MAX especially in regards to FLAC conversion? I originally tried XLD as the tool to rip my CDs but just found iTunes easier to use for ripping. I have been using MAX for converting FLAC to Apple Lossless.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

I've no preference between XLD and Max - usually use XLD as thats what I use for ripping CDs too. As far as I'm aware the conversion FLAC to AIFF gives identical results with both.

I did find doing a batch convert AIFF to AAC that XLD didn't read AIFF tags but Max did.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Doesn't XBMC media center handle flac on a Mac as well? http://xbmc.org/ Miguel

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

Quite a few applications will play back FLAC files...

XBMC - not sure you'd want the full media center just to play a few FLAC files.

Play - basic interface.

SongBird - full featured "iTunes alternative"

VLC - very versatile audio and video player, supports virtually every format.

Amarra - not much to say that's not already said.

Pure Music - ditto above.

I'm sure there's lots of others ... but that's a good starting point.

Eloise

Eloise

---

You can change the file format from FLAC to AIFF (or others that work for itunes) once you have downloaded it.

I use dbPowerAmp for this but it is for PC not Mac.

I think there is stuff out there like Max that will do this, have a google.

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers