IGNORED

CD Ripper for Mac ?

Liffy99

9 hours ago, Liffy99 said:

I've migrated to a MAC running High Sierra (latest version) and want to rip some of my CDs to its hard disk in FLAC format (and also an MP3 copy).

I can do this with MAX but for some reason cannot get it to download track and album data - it just copies / converts files which I then need to manually enter all the metadata, artwork etc.

I've been looking for an alternative to MAX but without much success (cannot get XLD to work at all for example  it just ties up the CD drive needing me to Force Quit.

Any suggestions as to suitable software - free or paid for ?

Thanks

Two options:

1) There was an old Doug's Applescript that would export track data from iTunes to Max.  I can't find it online now but if you send me a private message I'll send you the script.  I still use it because Max can't find most of the stuff I rip.

2) Insert the CD and open iTunes, wait till it recognizes the CD.  Then open XLD and choose File>Open Audio CD.  It will magically import the iTunes track info.

If I'm reading correctly, the OP's problem is that he's not retrieving metadata.  I have this problem because of my obscure CD collection, and there is no ripper that reliably finds tracks.  Since I'm lazy and don't want to hand-type dozens of lengthy track names for classical music, I still use Max with the iTunes export script.  The latest version of XLD should work fine on High Sierra and will grab iTunes data as I described (thanks to a commenter on another thread for that info).  The last time I tried dbPoweramp for ripping it got completely hung up on looking for a database that longer exists.  You have to buy the new version to fix this.  At any rate, it doesn't find the metadata I need anyway so I haven't bothered to update it.

1 minute ago, diecaster said:

Too funny. Just go into the meta data provider menu and disable the service that is not responding. In my case, I chose to disable freedb. I still use Discogs, GD3, and Music Brainz. dBpoweramp still worked fine before I disable freedb. I just had to wait an extra minute or so for the search to timeout. Hardly earth shattering and easily fixed.

I have no idea if this is a new feature in version 16 or not. I don't really care because I always upgrade when new major releases come out. Point release updates are free.

I tried that, it still got hung up.  I'm fine with Max or XLD.

4 minutes ago, diecaster said:

From the dBpoweramp forum:

"It appears that due to a glitch in metadata configuration code, you have to toggle PerfectMeta once for metadata provider on/off switches to take effect - everything works as intended later on even if you enable PerfectMeta back."

In other words, disable freedb then disable and reenable PerfectMeta. That's what I did and it worked fine.

All right, I'll try that, thanks.