IGNORED

CD Ripper for Mac ?

Liffy99

I've migrated to a MAC running High Sierra (latest version) and want to rip some of my CDs to its hard disk in FLAC format (and also an MP3 copy).

I can do this with MAX but for some reason cannot get it to download track and album data - it just copies / converts files which I then need to manually enter all the metadata, artwork etc.

I've been looking for an alternative to MAX but without much success (cannot get XLD to work at all for example  it just ties up the CD drive needing me to Force Quit.

Any suggestions as to suitable software - free or paid for ?

Thanks

9 hours ago, Liffy99 said:

I've migrated to a MAC running High Sierra (latest version) and want to rip some of my CDs to its hard disk in FLAC format (and also an MP3 copy).

I can do this with MAX but for some reason cannot get it to download track and album data - it just copies / converts files which I then need to manually enter all the metadata, artwork etc.

I've been looking for an alternative to MAX but without much success (cannot get XLD to work at all for example  it just ties up the CD drive needing me to Force Quit.

Any suggestions as to suitable software - free or paid for ?

Thanks

Two options:

1) There was an old Doug's Applescript that would export track data from iTunes to Max.  I can't find it online now but if you send me a private message I'll send you the script.  I still use it because Max can't find most of the stuff I rip.

2) Insert the CD and open iTunes, wait till it recognizes the CD.  Then open XLD and choose File>Open Audio CD.  It will magically import the iTunes track info.

The best option is to get dBpoweramp for the Mac. It is the best software out there for the Mac, bar none. XLD is good..if you can get it to work, but dBpoweramp has a much better interface and works extremely well. Yes, it does cost $39 but it is absolutely worth it!

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

7 hours ago, diecaster said:

The best option is to get dBpoweramp for the Mac. It is the best software out there for the Mac, bar none. XLD is good..if you can get it to work, but dBpoweramp has a much better interface and works extremely well. Yes, it does cost $39 but it is absolutely worth it!

Yet it will produce a bit-identical result.   XLD is free, does the same thing, and is extremely easy to use.  And it saves you $39.00 which is enough to buy 3 or 4 USB cables.

iTunes itself is perfectly adequate, fwiw (but won't rip to FLAC, but ALAC is an option).

1 hour ago, diecaster said:

So, like with iTunes, you never know if you are getting an accurate rip. 

With checksum database from uncertified sources we don't know exact ripping there or not.

Also the sources can have probable bugs that can cause additional errors in the database.

The database cannot restore damaged data.

The database can suggest that audio data is damaged (error detection).

But we don't know real math probability of correct error detection of the database.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

If I'm reading correctly, the OP's problem is that he's not retrieving metadata.  I have this problem because of my obscure CD collection, and there is no ripper that reliably finds tracks.  Since I'm lazy and don't want to hand-type dozens of lengthy track names for classical music, I still use Max with the iTunes export script.  The latest version of XLD should work fine on High Sierra and will grab iTunes data as I described (thanks to a commenter on another thread for that info).  The last time I tried dbPoweramp for ripping it got completely hung up on looking for a database that longer exists.  You have to buy the new version to fix this.  At any rate, it doesn't find the metadata I need anyway so I haven't bothered to update it.

1 hour ago, zackthedog said:

The last time I tried dbPoweramp for ripping it got completely hung up on looking for a database that longer exists.  You have to buy the new version to fix this.

Too funny. Just go into the meta data provider menu and disable the service that is not responding. In my case, I chose to disable freedb. I still use Discogs, GD3, and Music Brainz. dBpoweramp still worked fine before I disable freedb. I just had to wait an extra minute or so for the search to timeout. Hardly earth shattering and easily fixed.

I have no idea if this is a new feature in version 16 or not. I don't really care because I always upgrade when new major releases come out. Point release updates are free.

1 minute ago, diecaster said:

Too funny. Just go into the meta data provider menu and disable the service that is not responding. In my case, I chose to disable freedb. I still use Discogs, GD3, and Music Brainz. dBpoweramp still worked fine before I disable freedb. I just had to wait an extra minute or so for the search to timeout. Hardly earth shattering and easily fixed.

I have no idea if this is a new feature in version 16 or not. I don't really care because I always upgrade when new major releases come out. Point release updates are free.

I tried that, it still got hung up.  I'm fine with Max or XLD.

2 minutes ago, zackthedog said:

I tried that, it still got hung up.  I'm fine with Max or XLD.

From the dBpoweramp forum:

"It appears that due to a glitch in metadata configuration code, you have to toggle PerfectMeta once for metadata provider on/off switches to take effect - everything works as intended later on even if you enable PerfectMeta back."

In other words, disable freedb then disable and reenable PerfectMeta. That's what I did and it worked fine.

4 minutes ago, diecaster said:

From the dBpoweramp forum:

"It appears that due to a glitch in metadata configuration code, you have to toggle PerfectMeta once for metadata provider on/off switches to take effect - everything works as intended later on even if you enable PerfectMeta back."

In other words, disable freedb then disable and reenable PerfectMeta. That's what I did and it worked fine.

All right, I'll try that, thanks.

Wow, lots of ideas here ! Thanks

I have downloaded a fresh copy of XLD although I find it strange to work with. 

I get an icon but cannot open it by clicking in the usual way. Instead I click the icon and then use options shown at the toolbar, top of screen.

set various preferences although two issues immediately come up. First is where can I get the exported files to create a directory for trackes (eg. Artist Name / Album / tracks). Secondly how do I point it to artwork, FreeDB seems to be set but it asks me for some sort of access key to use Amazon.uk for example.

Anyway, set it off ripping a CD to FLAC AND IT TOOK NEARLY 30 mins - sl slow !

Vortexbox I used on a previous computer did it 3 to 4 mins. Does this sound right ?

One advantage with Max was that it could simultaneously rip to FLAC and MP3. It would be great if each output file type could have been directed to different destination directories . .  .

@Liffy99

XLD works but is slow has an awful user interface. That's why I strongly suggest getting dBpoweramp. dBpoweramp does not convert to multiple formats at the same time but you can certainly use the batch converter to do it later.

freedb has been mostly down or extremely slow to respond for quite a while. I would not try using it at this point. dBpoweramp uses Discogs and MusicBrainz which are generally much better anyway.

• 2 years later...

It has been awhile since the last post on this thread (two years ago).  I could use some help with this question.

Up to about a week ago, I was running my mac on High Sierra, and Max still worked, and worked well.  After I upgraded the OS to Catalina, I now get an error message saying that the version of Max I have won't work anymore.

What CD ripper to my fellow mac users to produce bit-perfect, lossless flac files?

Thank you in advance...

Ron

2 hours ago, Ron Ippolito said:

Thanks, kumakuma 

Does XLD have a GUI?  When I run it, should a window open to select the source, determine where the resultant file goes, etc?
Ron 

After putting in the CD, start XLD then select File followed by Open Audio CD

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

In any software, it is always good to look at the preferences... to get things like you want them to be...

Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 13.39.35.png

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13