IGNORED

Country & Western

Your brother played with Gram and Emmylou (and no doubt other artists I love).

Goddamn.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 12/19/2019 at 4:42 AM, Iving said:

The first I'll mention is Iris Dement's "The Night I Learned How Not To Pray".

The entire album this appears on, "Sing the Delta," is great. Available on Qobuz US & UK, no doubt elsewhere.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 12/18/2019 at 7:43 AM, christopher3393 said:

Whoa, Nikhil. Hold yer horses, pardner. 😊 No, not serious, and no,not mocking this thread. I thought it was very funny. It is very irreverent,

One person's humor (which, BTW, I appreciate) is another's incivility.

Hence the problem.

Yep. Maybe especially with iconoclastic humor.

No worries, I took it elsewhere: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/27143-song-of-the-day-or-welcome-to-the-add-generation/?do=findComment&comment=1015430   🐮

Back on track: here's a nice account of Gram and Emmylou's first encounter: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/going-out-guide/wp/2015/01/08/emmylou-harris-back-where-it-all-started/

Parsons tested Harris with one of the trickiest country duets he knew, George Jones and Gene Pitney’s “That’s All It Took.”

“She sang it like a bird,” Parsons told Fong-Torres, “and I said, ‘Well, that’s it.’ And I sang with her the rest of the night, and she just kept getting better and better.”

Blessed are the ones with a sense of humor. Also iconoclastic one :)

Since it seems that it is allowed on this thread, let me post one more Zappa 'country' song 9_9

I admit I'm not a fan of the genre. Interestingly I share with @christopher3393  fondness for some Willie Nelson's songs. It started with this cover of Dylan's composition:

OK.. I also have Johnny Cash's 'American Recordings' I-V whose producer Rick Rubin proposed a recording deal to Cash actually after seeing him live during the same Dylan's 30th Anniversary concert.

Earl Scruggs and Friends:

(Earl Scruggs, banjo; Glen Duncan, fiddle; Randy Scruggs, acoustic guitar; Steve Martin, banjo; Vince Gill, electric guitar; Marty Stuart, mandolin; Gary Scruggs, harmonica; Albert Lee, electric guitar; Paul Shaffer, piano; Jerry Douglas, dobro; Leon Russell, organ; Glenn Worf, bass; Harry Stinson, drums)

If you like bluegrass, you gotta luv this!

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Just grabbed Faith Hill - Cry  in DVD-A  5.1 surround off ebay.

Can't wait to get and play it!!!

spacer.png

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Hey there  y’all: anything by Cash(HIM & Roseann) especially the stuff Rubin produced but try the duets with Dylan/ also the Ken Burns documentary Country Music soundtrack/ plug Outlaw Country into TIDAL A+3 ROON Qobuz or channel 60 on Sirius AND the Bakersfield Sound on all the above good listening except if your CFO is around

2 hours ago, bobbmd said:

AND the Bakersfield Sound on all the above good listening except if your CFO is around

He probably listens to Country when no one is around to catch him "slumming".

Country is just not Kool they tell me. BS I say.  ;)

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

@Ralf11 hello where did you find that Grateful Dead/Alice cooper at reeds ranch album July 3&4 1983 where the dead sing ‘green green grass of home’ on your post#32 in country&western nov 2018? I can’t find it anywhere and even the dead page of concerts in 1983 don’t list anything for July 3/4 1983 couldn’t find it on Qobuz will try on TIDAL

thanks bobbmd

Very surprised that several contemporary artists changing the genre for the better have not been mentioned.  The Highwomen album (Brandi Carlile, Natalie Hemby, Maren Morris, and Amanda Shires) was one of the stand out albums last year.  Jason Isbell, Amanda Shires, and Sturgill Simpson are each stand out artists.  They are the face and sound of the future.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2019 at 2:20 PM, Sal1950 said:

Just grabbed Faith Hill - Cry  in DVD-A  5.1 surround off ebay.

Can't wait to get and play it!!!

spacer.png

Got this Faith Hill album a week or so back. I've played it a few times now, her singing and the sound on this DVD is beautiful, it will get a lot of plays here..